car on finance

6 posts Page 1 of 1

matthews15

Post by matthews15 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:54 am
Hi

My fatherin-law is going to go bankrupt and his car is on finance . What happens about the car as he has now He has stopped paying the finance. Will he return the car. Does he wait for the car to be taken off himself . He has no money to buy another car. So just need to know for the best what he should do.
Thanks

Kelly O

Post by Kelly O » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:10 am
If the loan is secured on the car the loan company will eventually reposses and the shortfall will go into the bankruptcy.

Do you have the original agreement? Sometimes they can be a fixed sum loan agreement and these are not secured on the car and will go into the bankruptcy as a debt. If this is the case the car wilbecome an asset in the bankruptcy.

Has your father in law had some bankruptcy advice?
Regards Kelly Osadare Debt Advice Manager at www.pjgrecovery.com (host to www.melaniegiles.com.)

PJG Recovery have a free online advice channel at www.debtadvicetv.com. If you are ready to ask us for specific advice or help, then get in touch at www.pjgrecovery.com/contact-us.asp . I look forward to speaking to you.

matthews15

Post by matthews15 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:13 am
Thanks
It with Audi they brough a car on finance with them for £20000 . So do they just wait for them to take this vehicle back or should they contact them and hand it back. They pay Audi £400 a month for the car.

matthews15

Post by matthews15 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:22 am
Just read the contract says hire purchase agreement . Does that help.

Tina Shortland

Post by Tina Shortland » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:34 am
Hire purchase indicates it is secured against the car - check the small print to see what clauses there are in there about bankruptcy. Can your F-I-L afford to keep up the repayments in the budget he will have to live off? If he can, and the HP company agree, and the OR agrees that he can keep the car (lots of ifs) then it might be possible to keep the car. If he cannot afford to maintain the repayments on that then it will need to be returned and it is down to the HP company as to how they administer that. There may be a balance owing which would then become unsecured and will go into his bankruptcy. First thing is to find out from the HP company what their policy is by looking at the paperwork.

Let us know how you are getting on.
Regards, Tina Shortland, Debt Advisory Manager for Melanie Giles at Debt Advice TV.

If you’re looking for effective debt related information, articles and news, then go now to our on-line advice service at www.debtadvicetv.com

If you’re ready to ask us for specific advice or help, then get in touch at www.call-me.debtadvicetv.com so you can start to free yourself from the stress and anxiety of overwhelming debt.

matthews15

Post by matthews15 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:30 pm
Thank you Tina for your help. Ther is no way he can keep the car he couldn't afford the payments. But i will have a look at the papework again.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “bankruptcy”