Car repair

30 posts Page 1 of 2

Jan01

Post by Jan01 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:05 pm
Just had a massive bill for car repair --well £300 feeling very low as the garage said there is more work costing a further £3-400[:(]. But I checked my emails and had one from Tesco offering car warranty plan. I have gone for the middle one at £150 and it looks quite good and it can be paid by direct debit. So I am hoping the other work that needs doing will be covered on the warranty[:D].

Not recommending it but it might be worth a look.

Jan
Nothing you can buy feels as good as not being in debt.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:39 pm
Sorry to hear that your car is poorly Jan. I had a nice bill from Vauxhall for over £500 last year and it came as a bit of a shock!

I've had a look at the Tesco warranty and it looks quite good. I'm going to have a think about it as it looks quite good value for money.

Jan01

Post by Jan01 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:48 pm
Yes it seems quite good and the mechanic said there is more work needed at a later date which will cost twice as much as the insurance.

SO seems a good bargain --I hope

Jan

tori

Post by tori » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:00 pm
hey,thanx for that tip jan.it's never even crossed my mind to get that sort of cover.looked into it last night and will definately be taking it out.mot due just after xmas and know that there will be quite a few repair's that will need to be done.dont fancy a £500 bill just after xmas (which is what happened to us last year ! ) it's worth paying £10 or £15 a month just to have peace of mind.x
please visit my blog http://tori.blogs.iva.co.uk/ a second chance..

Jan01

Post by Jan01 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:05 pm
I hadn't about that before, my car isn't that old 4 years and hasn't done too many miles around 30,000 and things are going wrong. The garage has already said that that there will be more work to do fairly soon and there is a problem with it starting and although at the moment they can't see what is wrong it will mean a trip to the Vauxhall dealer and I dread to think what that will cost so already I have more that gained the cost of the insurance. Which makes a change I would often buy warranties and never claim.

Jan

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:56 pm
I've just had a look at the Ts & Cs and it states that the warranty doesn't cover any mechanical faults present when the warranty is taken out - I don't know if that will effect your cover Jan.

Dave is happy - his car is excluded as it's classed as a 'prestige car'! I don't think I'll ever hear the end of this!

BTW it's nothing fancy, it's a Chrysler PT Cruiser!

freelili

Post by freelili » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:28 pm
My car is always due an MOT in January too, I really dread this time of year, Christmas sucks also. I am not a mean person or a misery guts but I just dont like Christmas any more, even if you do budget for it, it seems you forget something.

My clutch cost me 300 pounds last month so I really hope it doesnt need too much work. I need to tax at the end of this month also. I really dont know what I will do when the car finally croaks. I cant even think about that.
LILY

http://freelili.blogs.iva.co.uk

I asked God for an answer, I have to live with his reply.
Exsisto an angelus quod planto quispiam sentio melior.

Lisa2009

Post by Lisa2009 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:30 am
My daughter wants me to get a gold PT Cruiser.
Shame they dont have 7 seats though.
http://mrsskint.blogs.iva.co.uk/ 'Our Story'

Nil carborundum illegitimi

Jan01

Post by Jan01 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:32 am
Yes I did know that skippy but as the work won't need to be carried out for some time I am hoping it will be approved, it was something found at the service and I was told it possible wouldn't need doing until the MOT in March.
But if it isn't approved I have the insurance for other problems that may occur. My mum has kindly given me the money to pay for this round of repairs, what would I do with our mt mum.

Jan

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:35 pm
My mum bailed me out last year when my service cost £500 (thanks Vauxhall!) as there was no way I could have afforded to do it otherwise.

Fingers crossed you don't need the work done Jan!

Jan01

Post by Jan01 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:53 pm
Just picked my car up £273.50 later thanks mum. They were unable to sort out the starting problem said that will have to go to a Vauxhall main dealer. It is starting fine at the moment but for how long for? well fingers crossed for a for more weeks.

Jan

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:02 pm
I don't know what car I'll have next, but it definitely won't be a Vauxhall! I've had problems with the car on and off for ages, and really poor service from Vauxhall. I'll probably go back to a Fiesta as I never had any problems with Fords.

I hope you managed to get the problems sorted out Jan. There's nothing worse than an intermittent problem as it never does it when it's at the garage!

Jan01

Post by Jan01 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:09 pm
Talk about poor service from Vauxhall I live less than a mile away from the Vauxhall dealer and they refused to collect my car last week when it wouldn't start. A garage 4+ miles away came and collected it and didn't charge me. I know I have to have some work done by Vauxhall but I know they are going to charge me mega bucks. Last year was the 1st MOT and Vauxhall charged me £300 this year at the other garage £50 and of course the car is a year older-- can't prove it but I feel Vauxhall are ripping me off.
Jan

Viki.W

Post by Viki.W » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:15 pm
Oh Jan, what a pain! Hope you get it sorted. Don't even get me started on my car.....I think it will appear on ebay soon![:(] X
If you would like to talk to me about your debt problems, please visit:
http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp

Jan01

Post by Jan01 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:26 pm
I can't even do that it is a lease car and I have extended the lease until August next year. This car has been fated I have been driving since I was 17 and not had an accident but since i have had this cat I have hit a post in car park, 3 times people have damaged the car in a supermarket car park and didn't leave any details and last year I was driving along the A2 and an idiot came out of a side turning and hit me and I have had 1 new windscreen and I have chip in the windscreen now that need sorting-- I hate cars at the moment but they are essential for my work and we live in a small village with limited public transport and I need a car to get my husband to and from hospital when necessary.
Jan
30 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Cost of living in an IVA”