Car repair

30 posts Page 2 of 2

Viki.W

Post by Viki.W » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:30 pm
Jan, that sounds exactly like my old peugeot, it was jinxed, I'm sorry, but it was! I had to trade it in for that reason! I was just to paranoid in the end. wind blew door off, two crashes (not my fault), crashed into my MIL's gate (my fault!), wind (nearly) blew other door off, number plates stolen (both of them)......I could go on here! X
If you would like to talk to me about your debt problems, please visit:
http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp

Jan01

Post by Jan01 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:45 pm
Viki

Had you thought of selling the film rights[8D]it would make a good horror film.

We had a really old Fiat that never gave a days trouble it fell part in the end bits kept falling off and leaked like a sieve but it always started no matter what the weather and we drove it miles. The kids were embarrassed to be seen in it-- But as I always look on the positive side of things it meant we weren't asked to do the taxi service for them and their mate[}:)][^]

Jan
Nothing you can buy feels as good as not being in debt.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:56 pm
Vauxhall did collect my car from work, but didn't want to bring it back! They 'forgot' to tell me that they might not be able to (or couldn't be bothered to) complete the work the same day and I was stuck at work. Dave took me to collect the car after I'd laid into them and told them how useless they were, and they had parked it in the tightest spot they could find and I had to reverse between 2 rows of parked cars with everyone watching me!

Last year I had to take it to a Vauxhall dealer as I'd put the dodgy Tesco petrol in it. I didn't have a receipt so I couldn't claim off Tesco but Vauxhall said they would do it under warranty as they couldn't prove it was the fuel. Funnily enough, the service cost me around the price of the sensor!

I think this car is jinxed - perhaps it's something to do with Vauxhalls! As soon as I got it the bushes needed replacing, the rear suspension creaks every time you get in or out of the car, I get a damp smell if it rains, there is an intermittent smell from the blowers (I call it Eau de vomit), I've had a new windscreen, reversed it into a lamp post and had a new bumper and it's covered in little dings from the supermarket! I hate it but I'm stuck with it!

Jan01

Post by Jan01 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:16 pm
Skippy I just think the big firms don't care about their customers. Like you I am suck with my car for the duration.
I am waiting for grandson to buy me the Porsche he has been promising me since he was 4 but he is now 19 and courting so I won't hold my breath as I think he has forgotten about it.

Jan

Viki.W

Post by Viki.W » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:11 pm
[:D][:D]

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:16 pm
If Dave wins the lottery I've told him I'd like a Mazda RX-8 - I won't hold my breath either!

Angleparkinn

Post by Angleparkinn » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:09 pm
I have a Vauxhall Meriva and I know for a fact that Vauxhall dealers service is a con.
We took ours for it`s first MOT to the dealer we bought it off,got told that it had passed but the Disc pads where wearing and would need doing `soon`,well as the car had only done around 15000 miles at the time thought it will have to wait,next Mot same place,got told that the Disc pads where on there way out and would need replacing soon.
Just taken it to a different Vauxhall dealer as it`s more local and once again it passed the MOT but the Disc pads are going,so this week I took it to the local Kwick Fit they checked the brakes and the guy said they are wearing but as the cars only done 36000 you could get at least another 10000 miles out of them,oh and the vauxhall dealer also said that the exhaust was `going` and would cost a small south American republic to repair,there was a problem with it a small bracket had broken,the guy at kwick fit did it for me for less than £20.
I will never take it to a vauxhall dealer again!
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes along the skyline.
3/60

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:05 am
I don't know anyone who is happy with Vauxhall dealers. Someone I work with has an 06 reg Zafira and it's had so much wrong with it I think it's practically been rebuilt. Someone else I know has a 53 reg Corsa and had it serviced by Vuaxhall. A week later something went wrong with it and it cost him another £200 to get fixed - I would expect a bit of goodwill after having it serviced!

A lot of people don't realise that they don't have to take their car to a main dealer, even when it's under warranty. Providing it's taken to a VAT registered garage you can take it where you like - despite what Vauxhall told me! Mine was less than a year old when the bushes needed changing, and they couldn't guarentee it would be done under warranty until they had look at it, 'in case a little garage has touched it'!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:40 am
We have a Skoda and have never taken it to a Skoda dealer for a service.

There is a garage quite local to me who services VW/Audi/Skoda for a fraction of the price.

It's due for its first MOT this year and there is another garage local who only does MOT's, no repairs, so at least I know I'm not going to get ripped off when it goes there.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

ann.s

Post by ann.s » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:03 pm
Hi Skippy13 is correct I work in the motor trade and yes if your vehicle is under manu warranty you can take it to any VAT reg mechanic and as long as they use original dealer parts your vehicle should still be under warranty,and the manufatuer should still warrant any warranty repairs required in the period. Thank good I don't work for a Vauxhall dealer !!!

Ann

Jan01

Post by Jan01 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:17 pm
Further update. Drove about 12 miles this morning and noticed grey smoke coming from the rear wheel then the brakes felt as bit spongy pulled over called the RAC who said there would be a 2 hour wait for someone to come the garage said it sounds as though they over tightened the brake blocks. Well 6 hours later car been sorted. Me very unhappy as I have had to take a day off work as leave and missed a days training.
Not a happy bunny[:(!]

Jan

Viki.W

Post by Viki.W » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:21 pm
Ooh, I don't blame you, i'd be fuming. Hope the car gets better soon. X

ann.s

Post by ann.s » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:27 pm
Jan
Just read through your thread again, have you gone and asked your nearest vauxhall dealer if they could try and put a concessional claim in for the major repairs, this is where the manufacture may a % towards the repairs, but you must supply the service history to do this it is normally done if the car is under 5yr old and is in good order. I hope you get sorted.

Ann

Jan01

Post by Jan01 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:32 pm
Ann Thanks for that I didn't know that you could do that. As I lease the car I am going to speak to lease company and see if they will foot some of the bill as the car is only 4 years old low mileage been fully serviced etc.
Jan

flow13

Post by flow13 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:45 pm
We have a vauxhall zafira, and never take it to a vauxhall garage to be repaired. The prices are so high. We tend to price up the smaller local garages and chose the best one.

Thats what we are doing with the clutch on the zafira.
Its now time to start living and to make some some wonderful memories!
Read my blog at http://flow13.blogs.iva.co.uk/ 'Aiming for the finish line'
30 posts Page 2 of 2
Return to “Cost of living in an IVA”