CCCS Guideline for living expenses

44 posts Page 1 of 3

u769325

Post by u769325 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:10 am
Hi All
This appear to be a constant niggle. When trying to work out a reasonable I & E form I am working with one hand behind my back. Aparently according to my IP all the creditors have sight of the CCCS guideline amounts but us poor s'''s who have to live off thee amount cannot see the values.
I have 4 children in school and school uniforms alone mean I break the CCCS values for clothing. This is before either my wife or myself put on any clothing to retain our jobs. We need to look professional to maintain the payments.
I am only alowed £170 per month for lunches. But the childrens school dinners (there is not option of packed lunch) is £2.10 ea per day. (Double the allowance).
Our original I & E last year suggested a payment of £800 per month. I was forced to raise this to £1175 or else they would not vote for the IVA. This year I went back to highlight the car repairs were woefully under valued but I cannot get a copy of where the sums were modified. It seems all the creditors got together and acted as a cartel. This just does not seem fair.
I am lucky I have a business and can draw down upto 10% of my normal salary but should I be doing this to support the basics.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:49 am
Hi,

Which company are you with? That was a large hike in payments to get the IVA accepted.

You should be able to have a reasonable life whilst in an IVA and the guidelines are just that - guidelines. It is about time they were updated though.

I think the only reason we don't get to see them is so that people don't claim for things they don't get just because they are on the list.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

u769325

Post by u769325 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:37 am
I am with Grant Thornton but they seem totally averse to going to creditors to seek a variation.
All they say is that it is not totally in line with the CCCS guideline amounts but I can never find out what these amounts are.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:47 am
I suggest that you speak directly to your IP and tell him/her that you cannot manage and need a review. You can email them direct via this link:

http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/fip/

If they are not careful the IVA will fail and that's not good for anyone.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

3littlegirls

Post by 3littlegirls » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:00 pm
just wanted to add/ask as we are due to fill in our I&E after our 1st year.
We are really struggling & just can't work out what else we can claim for, I know what I need to buy uniforms & school shoes, winter boots & coats for 3 small children who have to walk everyday to school, & then food - we are given £40 for school dinners whe they infact cost £80 & we don't claim for contacts/glasses even though both my husband are both due new pescriptions.

Food now seems to cost so much more & that is without any treats.

Christmas may well be a luxury but I can't even afford something from father christmas fr 3 small children!!

If I fill out this form truthfully then there will be no money left for the iva & that's including using the cb whilst we can claim for it lol

Sorry for the long post!!!

u769325

Post by u769325 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:54 pm
Hi All

Been looking on insolvency website and found a little gem here.

In accordance to the rules it appears as though a reasonable holiday is allowed in insolvency and therefore would be allowed in IVA. The value shown is £80 per month for a family of 4 therefore working the number for a couple say £40 and a family of 6 say £120.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:10 pm
Are you sure that applies to an IVA? I know it can be allowed in BR (but at the discretion of the OR), but as far as I am aware it's not permitted in an IVA.

Hopefully one of the experts will be along to advise.

u769325

Post by u769325 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:13 pm
I think the judgement is reasonableness. It is impossible to works 24.7 and it is a human requirement for some time off. Therefore to save for a holiday would only be reasonable.

Lets see what one of our IP experts say. I am very interested in this one myself.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:15 pm
Everyone is entitled to time off work, but I don't agree that everyone is entitled to 'a holiday', as in going away. There are many people who aren't in an IVA that can't afford a holiday.

Many people on here manage to go away by saving tokens, e.g. Sun Holidays.

u769325

Post by u769325 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:17 pm
If you are working 60 hours + per week. Paying over £1000 into the IVA a value of 10% of the IVA payment is reasonable to meet the costs of a holiday in the UK for the family.

Try it on the next annual assesment I & E

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:22 pm
I'm not in an IVA so that's not an option.

The idea of an IVA is to repay as much to your creditors as possible and I cannot see them agreeing to fund a holiday at their expense. As I said, many people who aren't insolvent cannot afford a holiday, and let's be honest, a holiday is a luxury and not a right.

Shining

Post by Shining » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:34 pm
One of my students today when I asked for photographic proof of ID and suggested a passport told me she hadn't had a holiday in 9 years! I agree with Skippy a holiday is something we can live without, annual leave from work in itself is a rest whether you go away or not. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

u769325

Post by u769325 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:53 pm
Think about this practically. If you have children you need to go away at some time otherwise they cannot cope.

If you work very long hours and intensively then you need a change of scene.

You can live like a trappist monk but a cheap holiday with the family is not an excessive expense.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:13 pm
It is when you haven't got any money!

Due to my family circumstances I never had a holiday when I was a child and I coped perfectly well, and surely a change of scene is just being away from work. It's possible to have the odd day trip for a change of scene.

Shining

Post by Shining » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:29 pm
We don't holiday as such and haven't done for a few years, to break the montony we go to Manchester for a few days to see my famly it breaks routine and I always come back refreshed x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.
44 posts Page 1 of 3
Return to “Cost of living in an IVA”