CCCS Guideline for living expenses

44 posts Page 2 of 3

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:37 pm
I think there are an awful lot of families who don't go on holiday regardless of whether they are in financial straits or not.

It is not a right to go on holiday and I think kids cope very well being able to play at home with their friends. I know my daughter did in the past.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

carole2662

Post by carole2662 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:19 pm
My daughter takes the family on the SUN holidays and manages two breakes a year. She sais the kids have a great time and my daughter and partner have a break from the normal every day stuff. They manage to get away for £66 for a 4 day break.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:47 pm
Each to his own, but I would rather stop at home than go on a Sun holiday, or even worse, spend time in a tent!

As far as I am aware, an allowance for a holiday in an IVA is not an option. You have to make savings elsewhere.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:52 pm
I could manage a Sun holiday depending on where it is, but camping - no way!

kadie73

Post by kadie73 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:04 pm
Hi All,
First time on this site, trying to find out what's best for us - BR, IVA or DMP.
I read elsewhere and I've tested it and it seems to work that if you input your expenses on the CCCS income and expenditure calculator you can find out what the guideline figures are because it tells you if the figure you have put in is too high. Eg when we entered £800 for groceries it said something like "That seems high - we would expect a figure of £706" (There are 7 in our family if that seems like a lot to you!!)

Also, one expense that I will claim even though it's not true is £80 per month for cigarettes. Neither of us smoke but we can put that money towards Christmas if we do do an IVA or DMP

leaKybrain

Post by leaKybrain » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:24 pm
I've been married for 20 years and only had 3 holidays in all that time. The third one being with our daughter for a week at butlins. it cost us in total about £650 with the weeks cost, food, petrol and expenses whilst there. No way we could afford that every year.

I've never done the sun holidays, but I know a few who have, as far as I know not all of them are camping, but they are set times and set places.

we do things together in stead, like going to the park, seaside, saturday morning pictures for £1 each. Its not the holiday that is the thing we need, but more a change from the norm. Like the saying goes, 'a change is as good as a rest'

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:43 am
Hi Kadie and welcome to the forum. Good luck with your IVA /DMP, but please don't lie in your proposal. The idea of an IVA is to repay as much to your creditors as possible, and you may be asked for proof of expenditure. Other posters manage quite well by making small cutbacks in their other spending to buy Christmas and birthday presents.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:49 am
Welcome from me as well.

I agree with Skippy, you should not lie on your I&E. The rest of us manage Christmas and birthdays by cutting back and doing things such as filling in online surveys for vouchers.

As to holidays LeaKy - it's abroad or nothing for me I'm afraid. Needless to say it's usually nothing although we did manage Egypt last year courtesy of our daughter!
Bob Marley.

Shining

Post by Shining » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:49 pm
Always make your I&E accurate and honest as your IVA won't run smoothly if it's not.

Holidays, I'll take anything really for a break and often use the £9.00 @ night Travelodge rooms, not luxury but gets me away x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

leaKybrain

Post by leaKybrain » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:56 pm
Jan, egypt, lovely I'd love to go there one day. Mind you I'd love to visit half the world. LOL. Maybe do that cruise with my sis when I've finished.

Lesley, what are the travel lodge things. do you travel somewhere special, or do you look for where is cheap.

leaKybrain

Post by leaKybrain » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:46 pm
Just found the original thread about the travel lodges. Def something tothink about in the future.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:19 pm
Egypt is a fab place and I hope to go again.

I'm sure you and Helen will do a cruise at some point. She and I have to do a storm chasing holiday first though!
Bob Marley.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:20 pm
I hope you get to do your cruise Leakybrain - I have to say it's my idea of hell though!!!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:22 pm
You and me both Skip! Doesn't appeal to me at all either.
Bob Marley.

leaKybrain

Post by leaKybrain » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:11 pm
you two are mad...she'd stand in field waiting for lightening if she could. LOL. I've always wanted to do a cruise. been a wish for many years, mind you H is not a lover of boats.
44 posts Page 2 of 3
Return to “Cost of living in an IVA”