Certificates of Completion

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
8 posts Page 1 of 1

Declan at DebtFreeDirect

Post by Declan at DebtFreeDirect » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:20 pm
Hi All
There are a lot of postings and queries arising about certificates of completion, when people who have made their final payments should receive them and what affects the recent VAT issue has had on them. The purpose of this posting is to provide some background on this from our own perspective and what we are doing to help get this sorted as quickly as possible for those that are awaiting their certificate.

As most people on this forum will know, the Paymex issue, which arose over the past 12 months caused a great deal of uncertainty with regards how VAT should be treated in IVAs. Indeed, there was no precedent for this and we effectively had to seek advice and guidelines from HMRC with respect for this. I can’t comment on how other companies dealt with this but I am sure that they too found it difficult. Part of the VAT issue was closing cases and until we received a steerance from HMRC we had to effectively put on hold all cases due for closure. I agree this is not ideal and certainly not for our clients who, quite rightly expected to receive their certificates in a timely manner having completed their IVA successfully.

Once we did get the go ahead to close cases, we worked closely with creditors to agree the best way to close as many outstanding cases as possible as quickly as possible. This was done through something called a mass variation where we took all the oldest cases that were awaiting closure and agreed a cutoff point by which we would proceed to closing these cases first. To give an example cases that made their final payments late last year and early this year would be processed through this procedure. I acknowledge that there will be some people who did make their final payment but just missed out on the mass variation and I know how annoying this will be but I do ask you to bear with us and we will work hard to get your cases closed.

Any cases that made their final payments after this original cut off point will be included in the next mass variation. I cannot confirm exactly when this will be but once I do know I will ensure that everyone affected will be contacted.

Once again, I do understand the angst, confusion and annoyance this is causing and if anyone has made their final payment late last year or prior to April this year but haven’t been included in the first variation, please do let me know.

A separate topic which is quite prominent on the forum these days is PPI which I will address in a separate thread.

As always, I am more than happy to help wherever I can so please don’t hesitate to let me know if you need any updates or further advice.
Thanks

Declan
Declan Murray
Debt Advisor
Debt Free Direct - the UK's largest IVA provider.
http://www.debtfreedirect.co.uk/iva/

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:33 pm
Hi

Thanks for the update Declan, very useful

Regards
Andam Davies

Declan at DebtFreeDirect

Post by Declan at DebtFreeDirect » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:44 pm
Hi Andy
I feel it’s important to get a clear communication out as there is a lot of queries about this and unfortunately some confusion and annoyance.

Thanks
Declan Murray
Debt Advisor

artemischild

Post by artemischild » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:48 pm
Hi Declan

thanks for the update, as im sure you know ive been hammering DfD with calls and emails at the end of last week when all along the above would have answered a few questions! im amazed this was 'released' earlier nor that the custoimer care team are able to give this full explination (but 4 different accounts dependant who you speak with!!)

If communication flows people dont get worried....its when it all goes quite people start to panic!

As always, i appreciate your pretty much the public face of DfD and take all the flack so please dont think the above is aimed at yourself, im aware this has probably come from higher above following complaints being made!

arty
IVA completion and certificate received 08/10/2012!!!

Declan at DebtFreeDirect

Post by Declan at DebtFreeDirect » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:57 pm
Hi Arty
I certainly agree that this should have been done earlier and with the beauty of hindsight it probably would have given a lot more understanding and guidance to people.

As for me, worry not, I’m here to help and over the years I’ve developed a relatively thick skin but the beauty of this forum means people can air their frustrations and (hopefully) get them resolved.

Thanks
Declan Murray
Debt Advisor

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:36 pm
Thanks for putting people's mind at ease and giving them an indication of what is going on at DFD - hopefully it answers members questions in a little more detail.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

orchid5

Post by orchid5 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:41 pm
Very imformative post Declan and one i'm sure will allay some angst amongst DFD customers. I'm not too sure where i will be in September regarding my closure but hopefully not waiting 6 months or longer like some of the other poor folk on this forum. x
Om shanti, namesté, good luck to all who are embarking on the IVA journey, it isn't always an easy one but the outcome is the best.

IVA COMPLETED August 2012, received Completion certificate 18.4.13.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:59 pm
Could you just clarify what you mean by a mass variation, and what resolutions you are seeking agreement to as part of this process Declan.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”