Change to RCP?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
41 posts Page 1 of 3

Deli

Post by Deli » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:44 pm
Hi I was with vanguard and it’s recently changed to Ebengate they are demanding to change to rcp payment I have said I would like to keep playing standing I refer the replied saying the Accor t it gets payed in to is closing I then said I will pay direct debit to be told again that the only way is rcp as that’s all they do any one know what I should do will my iva fail if I do t change to rcp

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:09 pm
If your original agreement states either SO or DD, you do not have to change to RCP - tell them this and refuse to do it. They are bullying tactics and they can do nothing to make you do it.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:30 am
RCPs do not have any useful protection which you get with other methods: With Direct Debits you have the DD Guarantee. With Standing Orders it is you, the account holder, who controls and 'pushes' the payment from your account. With an RCP it is they who 'pull' the money from your account, with no control from you over when, how many times or even how much. In the past RCPs have been notoriously difficult to get out of and some people have had to resort to 'losing' the card and having the bank cancel it and re-issue a replacement (that might have been fixed now, but I am not sure).

The IVA will be silent on the matter of the method of payment. However, an acceptable payment method would have been one of the things you weighed up and formed part of the reasons for you to engage your IP. As such it was a material consideration when you decided to go ahead and it forms part of your agreement. Ebenegate cannot force a change on you.

I suspect, as has been briefly mentioned elsewhere, the issue might be that Ebenegates base of operations is offshore and their access to a British bank might be limited. But that is their problem, not yours.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

loislane

Post by loislane » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:26 pm
I am in the same position and just do not know what to do! I'm worried that if I don't change that they will somehow make me pay later down the line or place a breach on my account. I only have a year left, this is just causing undue stress.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:35 pm
No they can't - if you signed up for DD or SO they cannot make you change it!
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:33 am
Stick to your guns and don't swap it over to RCP. Hold out ... SO or DD as set up at the outset is the agreed method of payment and they cannot force you to change. As foggy says, they need to resolve the issue at their end not expect you to change.

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:16 pm
I class it as bullying - I would not be intimidated.
Bob Marley.

shantaramfan

Post by shantaramfan » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:44 am
Hello,

I've also had an email from Ebenegate saying its required to switch to an RCP after initial emails saying this was optional.

How would be the best way to say I'm going to stick to my DD payments I currently have set up?

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:02 pm
Just tell them you are remaining with DD. They cannot force you if that is what you signed up to.
Bob Marley.

shantaramfan

Post by shantaramfan » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:16 pm
Thanks a lot, will say something along those lines

Cloverfield

Post by Cloverfield » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:31 pm
Hey so i emailed ebengate to tell them i want to keep paying by SO and this was their response,
"Thanks for your email 

As you are aware Vanguard ceased trading in August 2020 and here at Ebenegate we have been servicing your IVA agreement since. 

Our Cashiers have advised that the account your standing order is paid into will be closing and in order to keep your payments up to date and to avoid any disruption we are looking to get all clients switched over to our Recurring Card payment method as soon as possible. 

This also ensures continuity for creditors as your payments will now show as Ebenegate rather than Vanguard"

So what now? Do i have to switch to rcp?

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:39 pm
Personally I would resist such a change. There is something inherently dubious about a large, professional, firm not having banking that can accept universally used and acceptable methods.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:18 pm
I totally agree - they should not be doing this. I personally think it is disgusting and I doubt they can do anything to make you change.
Bob Marley.

MrMole

Post by MrMole » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:45 pm
You'll have to change something if the existing bank account is going to be closed. Ask them for their new account details so you can amend your standing order.

If pushed, let them do a DD (which is a safe and convenient way to pay) but if you're not comfortable with CPA, don't agree to it.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:51 pm
You do nor have to do a card payment - if they change bank they have to give you new details.
Bob Marley.
41 posts Page 1 of 3
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”