Chasing creditors

15 posts Page 1 of 1

n_b

Post by n_b » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:45 pm
[:(] A CREDITCARD Company have just phoned requesting immediate payment, explained in process of IVA and they said we know we've had your letter etc explaining this but as you ( meaning me) haven't provided a court Date yet!!! (only been a couple of weeks ! what do they want blood !!!! oh no forgot payment !!))) We Can and will keep contacting you for payment... argh!!!!!! asked them to contact my IP they said a big NO we will call YOU back in a week for an immediate payment over the phone and hubbie only has cashcard account.
are these companies that stupid to think an IVA is all done overnight, These companies should have proper training I think in the process of what happens...

SORRY FOR RANTING FEEL BETTER NOW !!![:D]
Last edited by n_b on Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sensible77

Post by Sensible77 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:53 pm
They are not stupid, but they are bullies. They're just trying to get as much money from you as possible before your IVA is, hopefully, approved. You will just need to be firm with them & anyone else who calls, but that's easier said than done.

OPTIMIST12

Post by OPTIMIST12 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:56 pm
I had an identical call from one of my creditors 2 weeks AFTER my creditors meeting at which my IVA was approved. I told them this and they said they would continue to request payment from me until they received documentation. I asked them to contact my I.P. direct but they said they could not / would not do this.

I contacted my IVA company who confirmed that the creditor had been notified of the acceptance of the IVA (they had in fact voted "Yes" at the Creditors Meeting) but that the Head Office and Collections Department of the company were separate and that things took time to work through. They suggested that I send the Collections Department of the company a copy of the Chairmans Report. This proved to be excellent advice as I was not contacted again.
Last edited by OPTIMIST12 on Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
47 months completed - 13 months to go.

n_b

Post by n_b » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:57 pm
Hi sensible77

I know they just want their cash but I did say to them we are not favouring any of creditors!!! and did advise that they will have to wait for outcome of IVA.. obviously they are not happy about this I know I wouldn't be!!! but I 've let every creditor know whats happening they knew what we are doing they must know the answer on a payment will be NO.

gavin

Post by gavin » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:02 pm
people who are harassing you on the phones are just employed to get payments from you. All you need to do is explain that you are entering an IVA and that you will not be making any payments, you could also refer them to your I.P.

Empty pockets never held anyone back. Only empty heads and empty hearts can do that. [:o)]
Empty pockets never held anyone back. Only empty heads and empty hearts can do that.

sonyse2t5

Post by sonyse2t5 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:11 pm
There are no rules to say if you should paid them anything while your IVA is been procesed. But be careful that any arrears from now will be added to the final debt at the meeting - so make sure it doesn't take too long, 6/7 weeks the most.

A token playment you could make as goodwll guesture from the branch if you don't have Debitcard. The RBS collections people will take as little as 1£ buying you some time from any further harassment.

keh

Post by keh » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:56 pm
Hi N_B

I had the same problem when i started my iva nearly 4 years ago...Told them i was in an iva and to contact my IP but they never did... Now my Iva has finished through a F&F and the paperwork shows that dispite letters being sent to them they never did contact my IP and therefore never recieved a payment.
So next time they phone tell them politely that your in the process of an iva and to contact your ip... and if they demand money or contact you again you'll report them for harrasment

Keith

The long and winding road will straighten out eventually....keep the faith
Keith

The long and winding road will straighten out eventually....keep the faith

WhenInAHole

Post by WhenInAHole » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:29 pm
Just don't talk to them at all. When they call explain politely that you deal with financial matter in writing only and hang up. If they stay on the line put the phone in another room and leave them talking to themselves for 5 mins. Go back in and they will have gone.

BT's Choose to Refuse service is also good, blocks up to 10 numbers but it costs £3.50 a month. You dial a code after one of the "friendly calls" from creditors and then it blocks that number calling you ever again!

You can also send letters demanding they don't call (with varying success)

I'd certainly avoid giving your debit card number out at all costs. Remember these callers are paid by commission and want one thing only - your money now!
Last edited by WhenInAHole on Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lisa594

Post by Lisa594 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:51 pm
Hi N_B

I had the same problem when i started my iva nearly 4 years ago...Told them i was in an iva and to contact my IP but they never did... Now my Iva has finished through a F&F and the paperwork shows that dispite letters being sent to them they never did contact my IP and therefore never recieved a payment.
So next time they phone tell them politely that your in the process of an iva and to contact your ip... and if they demand money or contact you again you'll report them for harrasment

Keith

Just wondered Keith, did you get the money back if they didn't get payment? Wishful thinking I know but just wondered who got it.[:)]

Lisa

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:01 pm
Hi Lisa

It is usual in these circumstances for the monies to be returned to the debtor if they are less than £500. If the unclaimed dividends are more, the moneys are generally shared out amongst the other creditors.

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.

For further details contact me at http://www.melaniegiles.com and view my IVA blog at: http://melaniegiles.blogs.iva.co.uk
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

nomorecards

Post by nomorecards » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:06 pm
This happened to us when we were in the process of setting up our IVA and we took the details sent them to the IP and they contacted the creditor directly. The phone calls really are awful and will soon stop by getting the IP to call them means you are dealing with it and should stop them calling again.

whichwaynow

Post by whichwaynow » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:25 pm
Some things I did before I stopped payment to my creditors. This might help others here. I had a old but still working Pay as you use sim card I stuck this in a old but working mobile. I then contacted all my creditors a couple of weeks before I stopped payment and asked to update my contact details. As I work in a secure area I was unable to take calls so I asked for my work no to be removed from the system I then gave them the no of the old mobile. This let me use my normal mobile day to day free from creditors calls.
However when my creditors did call the other mobile (which was not that often) and I was not in to take the call as long as there was a return no I allways called them back. I found that you did not get that many calls as long as you kept in touch with them and let them know what was going on.
Prime example most of my creditors blocked calls to me as they knew I was going in to a IVA. I told them who I was going with and my cliant no. In fact when the creditors meeting was only a few days away some of my creditors called me saw I had a meeting arranged and said sorry for calling me they would try and block the calls again.
Sorry to be long winded but as I said I found the biggest thing is to communicate with your creditors. If they know whats going on I found them far more helpful.
IVA completed

n_b

Post by n_b » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:39 pm
Cheers everyone for replying I just felt I had to rant a little will keep you all posted on my IVA . [:D]

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:44 pm
Hi
I would agree with that,communication is the key to a succesful pre IVA relationship.I would not advise ignoring your creditors calls.
regards

Andy Davie
IVA.co.uk Spokesperson

About me:
http://www.iva.co.uk/andy_davie_profile.asp

IVA Helpline: 0800 197 4838
http://www.iva.co.uk/iva_helpline.asp
Andam Davies

WhenInAHole

Post by WhenInAHole » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:11 pm
I personally don't agree, I think communication is very important but always write letters as this puts us on an even footing. Intimidating calls demanding money or from autodialers isn't my idea of communication.

I'm not in an IVA but I am in a DMP and actually get almost no calls now. I think the key is to keep creditors informed, if most are happy and know what's happening then they don't call. Some are just bullies though....
Last edited by WhenInAHole on Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “communicating with creditors prior to IVA”