Child Tax Credits for the Chop in 2012

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
48 posts Page 2 of 4

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:02 pm
I appreciate that, but it would be nice for someone like me with no children to actually get something for a change.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:24 pm
Excellent post Michael, Skippy, Ray and Lesley.

My parents brought me up without any help at all and managed to keep their head above water.

I do agree that some help needs to be given to those who have children and have to work, but there are others who chose to stay at home and not work.

I wished that I could have afforded to have done that.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:34 pm
I completely agree Michael, although I do sometimes wonder if we encourage population growth too much as the country (and planet) is overcrowded enough as it is!

My main complaint is that there doesn't seem to be any help for people who choose not to, or can't have children. No married persons' tax allowance, no mortgage relief etc, just more and more taxes.

orange

Post by orange » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:39 pm
i appreciate what you say skippy .But in order for many people to return to work after a child they need some support of some kind. x.Maybe there should be a cap on the number of kids you can claim for ? could i be opening up a hornets nest here?
completed july 2011

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:40 pm
Don't get me started on over population!

I do agree that people who chose not to or can't have children should have some sort of tax break.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

rayb

Post by rayb » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:41 pm
Orange,

I thought of that to. Help with your first child but if you choose to have more then no assistance.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:43 pm
I agree Skippy. Many people think it their right to have children and the State [i.e. us]have an obligation to pay for their upkeep. I know many people who cannot afford children or who are limited in the number they can have because of the costs of childcare. There is no help from the State for these people but if they chucked their jobs in and had 10 kids the State would write a blank cheque!
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

orange

Post by orange » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:43 pm
i thought maybe kids should be born here to claim and like china 2 kids maybe and then no child benefit?
completed july 2011

orange

Post by orange » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:45 pm
true but we dont all expect help!
its just support....after the kids and that aint free!!!!
completed july 2011

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:46 pm
I agree Orange, capping the amount of children you can claim for would be a good thing. In this day and age there's no need for huge families.

orange

Post by orange » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:51 pm
big families are fine but no claiming for then 2.some of the comments about paying for other folks kids well before we had the kids we paid 2!.
completed july 2011

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:57 pm
I know that orange, it's just that I don't intend to have any so a little something would be nice!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:01 pm
When I was born, my parents couldn't claim for me as I was the oldest (an only child as it turned out). They had no payments for me at all.
Bob Marley.

sus65

Post by sus65 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:26 pm
I don't know what I'd do without Tax Credits at the moment. I'm limited to the hours I can work due to child care and have a a fairly hefty mortgage to pay (in joint names with my ex-husband but he does not contibute to the cost).

I also work in the public sector, supporting adults who have a learning diability, so my pay will be frozen for the next two years. It's a very rewarding job but the hours are long and unsociable and to be honest the news about cuts and pay freezes did make me wonder if it's all worth it.....

But I love my job with a passion and really can't imagine doing a job that's not vocational.

Sus
Susan

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:32 pm
I could quite happily give my job up if I could afford to, and I'm public sector. It would cost my employer a lot of money if I retired early.

Whilst I sympathise with those families with kids, I also think that that those who choose not to, or cannot have, should also have a break.
Bob Marley.
48 posts Page 2 of 4
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”