Childcare / After school clubs

3 posts Page 1 of 1

trazy

Post by trazy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:56 pm
In the process of filling out my I&E and was wondering if anyone had any advice on my childcare situation.

Basically our debt has been building over a number of years but it all came to a head this summer as my childminders circumstances changed (completely beyond her control) which meant she could no longer collect our son from school - we tried to find an alternative but they were all full.

I then tried to change my hours at work to accommodate extra school pick-ups (they said no!) so I had to hand in my notice and although I was very lucky to find a new job with better hours, it is less pay and therefore we are now in need of an IVA (although honestly we have been struggling for a while so this was really just the tipping point!)

Anyways (sorry for rambling!) my new job allows me quite a lot of flexibility in regards to my hours and I can also work from home but... school hours and evenings alone are not enough to get all my work hours done (i'm contracted to 37.5 hours). I have found some after school clubs (swimming, drama, cubs/woodcraft) which are reasonably priced and would allow me the extra hours I need to work.

Our childminder cost about £3.50 an hour while some of the clubs are going to be more like £7 an hour - but as there is a severe lack of childminders in our area I really don't know what else I can do.

Does anyone know if I would I be able to count this as childcare - as it is not your traditional childminder/nursery set-up?

Thank you for taking the time to read all of this!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:04 pm
To be honest I doubt it, but you can try to make this up by taking advantage of other categories here and there and going to a sympathetic firm (avoid the IVA factories and charity firms).
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

trazy

Post by trazy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:31 pm
Hmm.. I did think that may be the case.

The annoying thing is that we were paying the childminder £220 a month while the clubs are only going to be about £100 a month (I have all my old invoices so I may send them in as an example of what the alternative is!)

If worst comes to worst I will just have to do my work late at night/early in the morning while my son is asleep and keep our fingers crossed that one of the childminders has a space open up (we are on 4 different waiting lists!!) but I can't think of any long term solutions without the clubs :(
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “a success story”