Children are expensive!!

74 posts Page 3 of 5

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:47 am
AR I would never suggest that your nappies weren't thoroughly cleaned after use, that was never my intention at all.

I just feel that I would not want to use either those or knickers which had already been worn.

I'm afraid my daughter had disposables, even though I bought terry ones before hand. I would still use disposable now if I had a baby.

Not that there is any chance of that thank goodness!
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Shining

Post by Shining » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:13 am
Would you believe I've still got some of the terry nappies my son and daughter wore and they're 26 and 25 now! They're in my airing cupboard and I cannot bear to throw them away x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:30 am
My mum probably still has some of mine and I'm 34!

Like Ladyh I don't want to offend, but I wouldn't wear second hand knickers so I wouldn't put my child in second hand nappies!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:43 am
The few that I bought, fully intending to use them and never did, also got used for cloths.

I certainly know that my mother won't have any of mine!
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:24 am
When I say she kept them, I meant that she kept them to use as cloths, and knowing her they're still going strong!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:23 am
I'm sure mine would have done the same!

My parents recently had loft insulation and so had to clear the loft out. Mum found a load of old photographs, and once she had looked through them, she threw them away! I couldn't believe she had done it. I would have loved to have seen some of my relatives and mum an dad's friends from years ago!

I wasn't amused when she told me. I've told her to keep any more she finds.
Bob Marley.

Shining

Post by Shining » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:16 pm
I agree Jan she needs to keep them photos are so precious, I love photos even if I don't know the persons or place in them. Maybe I'm just too nosey!
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

equilibrium

Post by equilibrium » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:47 am
It's hard to say no to a kid.
For me children's cultural education and entertainment go first, I'd rather not buy Clarks and instead take them to the theater or to a nice exhibition -like the "Degas and the Ballet" at the Royal Academy of Arts. True poetry- tickets find at http://www.eventim.co.uk/.
Last edited by equilibrium on Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carole2662

Post by carole2662 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:15 am
I once worked for a nappy laundering service. They supplied the nappies and over pants and then they were collected weekly and a fresh lot were dropped off. So you didn't know who had used them before you. They were washed at a very high temp in great big industrial machines then checked over by hand to weed out the stained ones. The problem I had with this is the thought of dirty nappies hanging around for a week!!

andrea1968

Post by andrea1968 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:50 pm
I won a bonny baby contest at 6 months old and the prize was a dozen terry towelling nappies(and a framed photograph)!!!
My mam then had my two younger brothers and they did all 3 of us!!!
BUT-you couldnt put them out on the washing line without them looking whiter than white,the neighbours would never speak to you again!!!!
full and final accepted January 2015

iva agreed; August 2010
iva would have completed; August 2017
extra year thank's to NRAM

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:38 pm
I always said I would use terry nappies but never did!

As to equilibriums post - I'd rather my kids had decent shoes than visted the theatre or museums!
Bob Marley.

4kidsnocash

Post by 4kidsnocash » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:45 pm
All my kids have had Clarks shoes, the older one's we could afford to buy, the younger one's we can't, or couldn't until the oldest child (now 21) started work there and she uses her discount to help us.
Alas, I am dying beyond my means.
Oscar Wilde

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:16 pm
I have always thought that kids feet should be measured - mine were and I'm an old git now! My feet are fine though.

My daughter always had Clarks or Startrite when when she was growing up.
Bob Marley.

4kidsnocash

Post by 4kidsnocash » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:10 pm
My feet were always measured as a kid too, usually by mom shoving her thumb at the front and saying such things as "you'll grow into them" or if they were tight "they'll stretch when you've worn them a bit". Now I suffer a lot with my feet, corns, ingrowing toe nails and (not connected to ill fitting shoes) plantar facilitis (policemans heel/tendonitis) but hey, she did what she could bless her.
Alas, I am dying beyond my means.
Oscar Wilde

Shining

Post by Shining » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:20 pm
I never had properly fitted shoes and my feet are fine, my children always did and their feet are fine too. Lots of museums are free now and libraries are a good place too to visit, I take my granddaughter all over and never spend a fortune as I'm in an IVA. x
74 posts Page 3 of 5
Return to “family forum”