Children are expensive!!

74 posts Page 4 of 5

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:30 pm
I was always taken to Clarks as a kid and measured a couple of times a year and I did the same with my daughter. It is something I wouldn't compromise on.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Shining

Post by Shining » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:35 pm
Jan I remember when I was young bearing in mind I was from a single parent family in the 60's which was pretty much unheard of, I shared a pair of shoes with my Mum and at other times wore plimsolls. I thought the WRVS was a shop until I went to secondary school. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:44 pm
That's bad Lesley. I was taken to Clarks twice a year. I had the choice of black or brown lace up shoes in the winter and T bar sandals in the summer. When we went on holiday though I did have plastic sandals and the stretchy ballet style shoes.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Shining

Post by Shining » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:49 pm
Made me who I am today Jan and to be fair it's helped towards my debt as I wanted my children to have everything which unfortunately in the end I couldn't afford. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:13 pm
I didn't have a lot when I was a kid, I did have good shoes for school (which I hated!) and we used to do a trip to Birmingham once a year to get me a new winter coat - and my mother will tell you that all such trips were a nightmare!

I even remember (sort of)going there by steam train!
Bob Marley.

4kidsnocash

Post by 4kidsnocash » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:22 pm
I remember going to Brum with my dad and uncle, we caught the (steam)train from Great Bridge station. We were going to see Freddie and the Dreamers!
Alas, I am dying beyond my means.
Oscar Wilde

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:33 pm
I remember catching the train from Bloxwich before Beeching shut it but it was only for shopping. I remember Freddie and the Dreamers though!
Bob Marley.

4kidsnocash

Post by 4kidsnocash » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:38 pm
I was an only child then so I guess I was spoiled a little bit, I would have been about 4 or 5 at the time because we moved from Great Bridge to Ocker "Bonk" when I was 6 - and my sister arrived.
Alas, I am dying beyond my means.
Oscar Wilde

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:48 pm
I've always been an only child - my mother couldn't stand the pain!
Bob Marley.

andrea1968

Post by andrea1968 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:15 pm
I buy my lad quality trainers but in the sales for playing out in as they only last a few weeks and he always goes for colour,not make (red).
School shoes usually come from brantano as they usually have some kind of deal or offers on.
He is only 9 but in a size 5 and a half already,dread to think how big his feet will be when he hits his teens!!!!
full and final accepted January 2015

iva agreed; August 2010
iva would have completed; August 2017
extra year thank's to NRAM

carole2662

Post by carole2662 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:31 pm
Kallis my mom also took us to Birmingham to buy the winter coat,and then on to the rag market to get material for mom to make me all of my winter clothes. I remember one year a man on one of the stalls offered my mom 4 camels for me. I am glad to say she said no but always told me she was holding out for 5.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:35 pm
Never went to the rag market, mum used to make my clothes but the material came from either Bloxwich or Walsall market.

Glad your mum held out for the 5th camel!
Bob Marley.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:52 am
Children do come at a cost,but they are such a gift it's always worth it.

I've had a busy couple of days with my grandaughters - took youngest to see Peppa Pig on Friday. Now that was expensive and overpriced in my opinion. She enjoyed it though and now I know she will sit still for the annual pantomime outing [:D]

I took the other 2 girls to the fair on Friday - half price, so not too bad. Finished the evenong off with half an hour in the park, which was free and they always enjoy the park.

Yesterday morning, we went down the beach, treasure hunting...no cost, apart from cleaning the sand out of the car [:D] Finished off nanny duties with a trip to the library - free - the girls had a lovely time looking through the books.

So it's swings and roundabouts so to speak [:)]

carole2662

Post by carole2662 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:56 am
When I went to live with an aunt our local market was Willenhall which didnt seem to have much at all. Loved Wolverhampton market as a kid but went back a few years ago and boy has it changed. Its been a few years since I went to the rag market but still love it for a bargain and hubby who is a southerner through and through just cant believe it.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:14 am
Remember Willenhall well! I worked there when I was a police officer for a number of years.

Can't remember the last time I went to Wolverhampton! For shopping these days, especially at Christmas, I love Birmingham.
Bob Marley.
74 posts Page 4 of 5
Return to “family forum”