Christmas toys-anyone with kids

36 posts Page 2 of 3

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:56 am
My mum's terrible at buying presents for me as well. Every Christmas and birthday she asks what I want and I always say money, as there's very little I need. Each time she then insists I need a present 'to open' and I feel awful as I then think of something for the sake of it!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:08 am
My parents always buy me slippers as I usually need them replacing and then they give me money as well.

Hubby is a nightmare to buy for so he usually just gets a bottle of malt whisky.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Shining

Post by Shining » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:20 am
this year was easy for them as they've all clubbed together for birthday and Christmas and they're sending me away for my birthday which is much appreciated. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:54 am
I'm sure you will have a brilliant time as well.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Rosepetal

Post by Rosepetal » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:52 pm
gosh you guy's have been busy lol!!

we told family last Christmas not to buy for us this year as money is tight. we stopped doing birthdays this year(need to pay mum & dad back first). felt guilty about mum & dad because they've helped us so we do small gifts for mothers/fathers day. we will buy something small for them when they come up at Christmas though. they'll tell us off for it,they don't need anything.

hubby & i have really cut back.
we bought xmas cards in the sales,xmas crackers etc- just have to remember where we "put them safe" now....
Nothing stays the same...everything changes..hang on in there!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:31 pm
Thankfully my daughter and step kids know things are tight. Their presents are courtesy of my online surveys. Always give them a tenner on respective parents day.

Mine don't need anything but would not be happy if we didn't spend on them.
Bob Marley.

SilverLinings

Post by SilverLinings » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:37 pm
Im going to have to be inventive with this one...don't know what the current trend is yet for the boys but no doubt my boys will let me know... beauty is... they accept only what I can give so Im not too worried. I have 2 newphews and 2 neices to buy for and we are all always on a budget so it makes things a tad easier.

Shining

Post by Shining » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:21 pm
It's the choosing that's the problem, I usually rely on my daughter and son to tell me what the grandchildren need at the time. My youngest daughter I've no idea what to get but she's off to Uni next year so I'm expecting to set her up for that x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:40 pm
I'm giving my godchildren money this year, and Dave's doing the same with his youngest grandson (the older ones don't get anything) as I can't be bothered with the buying only to find out they've got 3 of the same thing!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:48 pm
My step kids and grandkids get vouchers (from surveys) and clothes (as cheap as I can get) It doesn't cost me much at all.
Bob Marley.

kazzafunk

Post by kazzafunk » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:15 pm
We only buy for children in the family and then all put in towards the food. I listen to friends going on about buying for partners, parents, parents in law and I know it's all funded by cards each year.
Xmas is about children and all getting together for a nice family meal and I think anyone worrying about buying for families should maybe suggest either cutting out or cutting back. It's the thought that counts!
Kazza

Please visit my blog:
http://kazzafunk.blogs.iva.co.uk/

IVA completed 21/03/2012

Pennyless

Post by Pennyless » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:10 am
Kazzafunk agreed. My own children and also my grandchild will get a fine Xmas dinner and all the after 8's they can consume and they'll enjoy it. Just being together with the family at Xmas is my present.

PS: Although our Grandchild (nearly one) will no doubt (quite rightly) get spoilt rotten lol.
Last edited by Pennyless on Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
I came into this world with nothing and still have most of it left!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:34 am
We tend to give everyone who "qualifies" for a present high street vouchers ( from surveys). We tell them the reason is that (quite truthfully) they can use them towards something they chose themselves and really want and they can also wait until the sales and increase the buying power! Minor "token" pressies are always boxes of Welsh Cakes, which I make myself on my Gran's old bakestone (I was her apprentice cake maker when little and, amongst other things, was willed the "family" bakestone).
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:47 pm
We don't go overboard on food at all - treat it as a normal Sunday lunch although we have a capon rather than chicken or turkey. Family get the vouchers, hubby and I exchange a token bottle and parents get money plus a magazine subscription for mum and this year it will be a cardigan for dad as well.

The Welsh cakes sound nice!!!
Bob Marley.

Pennyless

Post by Pennyless » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:34 pm
We do both a turkey and a 3 bird roast (Aldi special) with all the trimmings......wow this topic has got me ever so hungry!
I came into this world with nothing and still have most of it left!
36 posts Page 2 of 3
Return to “family forum”