Claiming back bank charges whilst in an IVA

16 posts Page 1 of 2

spenmotherhen

Post by spenmotherhen » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:50 am
Hi I have read somewhere that you can claim back your bank charges for the past 6 years when you are in an IVA, is this true and if so how do I go about it? I have been inmy IVA for 6 months. Thanks for any help

iva experts

Post by iva experts » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:59 pm
Hello!

You are exactly right! You can approach your bank to claim back excessive charges that have incurred over a 6 year period.

Being involved in an IVA shouldn't be a problem, However because you are in an IVA any money received back from the bank would be seen as an asset and may potentially go towards the IVA (just as overtime or bonuses would).

For more information on how to go about this, please go to the home page of this website where you can download a Bank Charge Refund guide for free.

Hope this information is of use

Regards. IVA Experts
Best Regards,
Michelle Pontes
IVA Experts
http://www.iva-experts.co.uk/

spenmotherhen

Post by spenmotherhen » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:00 am
Thanks very much for your help, I will take a look now.

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:42 pm
Hi

I have tried to find the bank charge refund guide but can't find it! Any clues please?

Cheers

spenmotherhen

Post by spenmotherhen » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:13 pm
Hi Ceejay
On the left hand side there is a heading "IVA guides", under that there is a link named "What is an IVA?" click that then another link comes up on the right named "Free downloads" - "Bank charges Guide" Ive clicked onto it and filled out the info but nothing has been emailed to me? so not sure if there is anymore links?
Let me know if you find another cheers Spenmotherhen

Oliver

Post by Oliver » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:19 pm
If you go to this site's home page there is a link to the right hand side of the screen. If people are still experiencing problems you can go to www.thomascharles.com and there is a similar guide available from our website.

You can access Video Clips giving additional information about IVAs at:
http://www.thomascharles.com/interview_ ... an_iva.asp

If you would like more information about IVAs, other debt solutions, or just want to arrange an informal chat, please visit us at www.thomascharles.com.

Best Regards
Oliver
www.thomascharles.com
Best Regards
Oliver

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:08 pm
Thanks
x

CeeJay

Post by CeeJay » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:17 pm
Spenmotherhen, I have just found the link, filled in my email and just had a reply with the download. It might be worth you trying the link again. If you still have problems with it then I am happy to email it to you.

CeeJay

spenmotherhen

Post by spenmotherhen » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:01 am
Hi Ceejay
Thanks, Im still having probs getting the info, if you could send me the link that would be great cheers!![:D]

nickj6

Post by nickj6 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:25 pm
there is a really good guide on here
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

nick
nick

spenmotherhen

Post by spenmotherhen » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:34 pm
Thanks Nick
What a great website, so many other interesting reads on there!!!
Great guide to thank you.
Have you done a claim?? Looks a bit long winded and not sure if I fancy the idea of going to court and court charges but at least it explains things from every angle. Thanks again top info.

Oliver

Post by Oliver » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:03 pm
I agree that it could be a long drawn out process. However there is nothing stopping you taking the initial steps of writing to your bank and asking for your money back. If the bank declines your request you can make the decision about taking things further at the time. In my experience many of the requests receive at least an offer of some of the money back.

If you would like more information about IVAs, other debt solutions, or just want to arrange an informal chat, please visit us at www.thomascharles.com.

Best Regards
Oliver
www.thomascharles.com
Best Regards
Oliver

spenmotherhen

Post by spenmotherhen » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:51 pm
Hi ThomasCharles Thanks for the info, I am no longer with my bank as it was one that I had debt with, will this make a difference? Also If the charges were given because I had gone overdrawn, cashed cheques etc and there wasn't sufficient money available, surely this was my own fault, don't see how they would repay charges if they were given at these times? Thanks Spenmotherhen

Oliver

Post by Oliver » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:59 pm
If you are no longer with your bank you can still seek to claim monies charged for the last 6 years, although it is up to you to evidence these charges. To do this you need to write to the bank and ask for a list of all charges made in the last 6 years. The bank may charge you for this service but you can then seek to claim this charge back as well as all the charges that have been made.

You most certainly can claim back charges for things like unpaid DD's and over your overdraft limit charges. The reason behind this is that the banks have been accused of charging unreasonable fees for such mistakes that can not possibly be justified by the amount of work they have to undertake to rectify the problem. For example if a bank charged a £5 fee for you going over your overdraft limit and then charged you interest on the overdrawn amount this may have been considered reasonable however, most high street banks would have charged c£30 for this which is considered an unreasonable charge.

Best Regards
Oliver
www.thomascharles.com
Best Regards
Oliver

spenmotherhen

Post by spenmotherhen » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:32 pm
Thanks again Thomascharles, makes sence really, Just a bit unsure of going against the bank especially in a court senario. I'll keep you informed on what we decide to do.
Thanks again Spenmotherhen
16 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “reclaiming bank charges while in an IVA”