Claiming personal injury and damage after cycling accident, should I be upfront about IVA ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
11 posts Page 1 of 1

danp100

Post by danp100 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:53 am
I am over half way through my Iva. Last week I was involved in a cycling accident when someone open a car door as I was passing, and I have been off work since so I am obviously claiming personal injury and damage to my bike. I have been reading a lot of mixed views on what compensation can be kept. I have already spoken to the company dealing with my iva and been told that any money for my bike repairs I can certainly keep and usual that for pain and suffering is ok as well, so that is fine. I mean this is not going to be a huge payout but maybe 700-1000 pounds. My main question really is should I tell the solicitor dealing with my claim about the iva and would this effect the claim in any way? I feel like they are two completely different things and don't see why I really need to mention the fact the I am in an iva? Any advice is appreciated, thanks

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:11 am
Personally I would tell no-one about the IVA unless asked.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:51 am
Agree - it's no-ones business but yours unless there is a requirement to disclose.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:49 am
Hi

I also agree, only mention it if specifically asked

Regards
Andam Davies

Rick71

Post by Rick71 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:48 am
I agree too. It's a separate thing and may add a level of complication that's completely unnecessary.

And commiserations on being 'doored' - as a cyclist myself, I know only too well how horrific that can be. I hope you're on the mend and your bike wasn't wrecked.
IVA? Best financial decision I ever made.

danp100

Post by danp100 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:57 am
Thanks for the replies that is very helpful. This is first time I ever been through the claim process, I think it all in place and should hopefully be quite straight forward. I actually had a quite of around 250 for the bike so a fair amount of damage but that will taken care of as part of the compensation, assuming I win the case. Thanks again

Rick71

Post by Rick71 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:40 pm
I took out a claim after being knocked down a few years ago. The guy was plainly not looking and drove over my bike too - I was very lucky to escape with just a sprained wrist. He refused to cooperate with the investigation, which caused me to win the case by default, but as I was dealing with his insurance company it took a long time. My advice would be to be very pro-active with your claim - keep on at them and don't let up. The best of luck with it!

danp100

Post by danp100 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:03 pm
Thanks, I feel it shouldn't take long since had to go to hospital in an ambulance. The police also arrived and took a statement from the woman who's fault it was. I have sent all the info to the solicitor along with a sick note that I now have from my doctor and a quote for damages to my bike. So with all this, even though I have no experience of claims, I feel it should be a very simple case.

Rick71

Post by Rick71 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:35 pm
It should be - you have a solicitor, whereas I didn't! I handled the whole thing myself, so there were a lot of delaying tactics and attempts to throw me off that I had to navigate through, so I had to be very tenacious. If you have a solicitor, it should take a lot less time and hassle!

Gettingthere

Post by Gettingthere » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:49 pm
Been there done that unfortunately a couple of times myself, before the IVA I hasten to add, but to be honest it makes no odds, you have been injured in a road accident and you should be entitled to keep any money from pain and injury, along with repair or replacement of the bike.

recovering

Post by recovering » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:17 pm
I Was allowed to keep compensation for pain & suffering
11 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”