CLOTHING EXPENDITURE ON A IVA

73 posts Page 2 of 5

OPTIMIST12

Post by OPTIMIST12 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:20 am
Hi - Yes I agree. Whether you qre in an IVA / DMP / BR it is only right that you pay back as much of your debts as possible. No-one can argue with that.

I am not saying that people in our position should EXPECT to enjoy anything other than a pretty basic lifestyle but I AM saying that people are entitled to enjoy what few material comforts they CAN afford whilst they are in the process of repaying their creditors. And to be free to dream of how much nicer things will be when their IVA / DMP / BR is concluded and they can look forward to a week in Majorca or whatever takes their fancy.

ABSOLUTELY - people in debt should repay the maximum possible under the options available. But it should not be viewed as a life sentence - or where is the incentive to stick at it? There must be "light at the end of the tunnel!!).
47 months completed - 13 months to go.

R1chard

Post by R1chard » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:25 am
i think 5 years is a short period of sumones life to be forced to live on the breadline.. thats far from a life sentance, and in essence we are possibly affecting other poeples lives by not paying back these debts in full like we agreed when we got the loans / cards etc etc... i amounted my debts up over alot longer then 5 years, and have had the majority of it written off. now looking at it that way, wheres the incentive for people who are good with money to not mount up unpayable debts, if at the4 end of it they dont have to pay it all back if they cant afford to.

we are lucky the goverment runs these schemes, and should be thanksful we aint forced tio give everything away and have all our wages go direct to our creditors.

people who dont owe any money at all live in far worse states then we do.
lots of payments to go.

OPTIMIST12

Post by OPTIMIST12 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:43 am
R1chard -

I totally agree with most of what you say. But we all make mistakes in life or have bad fortune thrust upon us by things outside our control.

The important thing is to do your best to put the mistakes right.

I am very grateful to my creditors who voted for my IVA and - yes - I do feel guilty that the vast majority of people pay their debts off properly whereas I have been given the opportunity to write a large sum off. I will never forget that.

I was going to write a bit more but have to leave for work!!!
47 months completed - 13 months to go.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:00 am
I'm not saying that people shouldn't enjoy the material things - I still like a takeaway or buying a CD or a new top. However whether you are in debt or not there are much more important things in life than what we own. I would happily give up all the material things in life if it meant I could have my dad and my uncle back. I wouldn't care if I couldn't go out for another meal as long as I have Dave and the rest of my family with me.

Sadly the world is too materialistic now - everyone has to have the latest phone, the best trainers etc - and that's how a lot of people get into debt. The last year has been a rubbish one for me and many others on here and it has made me thankful for what I have.

BTW referring to the original post, I have a clothing allowance of £40 per month which is standard for a single person in BR apparently. I don't need to buy clothes every month so I try and save the money (not always easy!) it is there for when I need it. I also managed to get a very nice coat in Tesco (I hate that shop but needs must!) this week for £25 so it can be done.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is the present - a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

jane.l

Post by jane.l » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:15 am
xx
Last edited by jane.l on Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:47 am
It seems very unfair that children have to suffer if their parents go BR. I would question the £80 with your OR Jane, that seems very low.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is the present - a gift to make the most of.

jane.l

Post by jane.l » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:49 am
I
Last edited by jane.l on Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spenmotherhen

Post by spenmotherhen » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:37 pm
We have an expenditure of £40 for clothing for 2 adults and 4 children. I love shopping in Primark as I get alot for my money and my children can remain relatively fashionable. I have had a great time getting bargains from car boots, jumble sales and Ebay. It gives me great pleasure in buying bargains and knowing that I have'nt made myself skint doing it. Once its washed, who knows where you got it from or how much you paid. Today I am wearing a whole outfit that cost me £9.50 thats for Next jeans and Next cropped cardi, Ballet pump style shoes from Primark and a white T-Shirt from Primark. I got my winter coat from primark for £12!!! Hey if its good enough for "Colleen" its good enough for me. Remember the Next 2 day sale is on this weekend - most items half price or less. You could pick up a bargain or two there.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:05 pm
My River Island combats were dead cheap (and brand new!) on Ebay, my T shirt was bought from Marks and Spencer with the vouchers for blog of the month and my fleece was a present from my mum so I've hardly spent anything on my outfit!

I buy a lot of things on Ebay - one of my best bargains was another pair of combats that were too short so my mum cut the bottoms off the legs and made them into cropped combats that only cost a fiver.

douglass

Post by douglass » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:16 pm
Kerri - so sorry for your loss. Take comfort in your family, and your son, who sounds like a wonderful credit to you. D.

R1chard

Post by R1chard » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:49 pm
i can understand about your children, but like i said, not good feeling sorry for yourself, you need to get outthier and hunt those bargains down. ebay is the best example, pick bags of clothes up for cheap and its all decent stuff.

buying the top brands at the shops it prosbwer alot of us got in this mess. i know its true for me.

yes i do feel for you saying you have x amount of kids which need this that and the other, but using them is a bad example i believe, and you should of thought about that when running up debt.

if anything, it may hepl show them the value of money so they dnt make the same mistakes we did.

thats the main reason ive gon on an iva. my young lad will be 9 when i finish my iva. just about when they start wanting the more expensive items.
lots of payments to go.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:10 pm
I'm sorry Richard but I can't agree with you. Yes it is a good thing to show children the value of money, but when they need new school uniform, new shoes etc because they have outgrown the last lot, it must be very difficult.

Yes, we all should have thought more when we were spending but we don't know the full reason that someone is in debt so I don't think you can say that someone "should have thought about that when running up debt." We are all in a mess for one reason or another and we should support each other and not judge.

johnpaul

Post by johnpaul » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:25 pm
when i spoke to me ip advisor i put £50 because should be getting my iva meeting very soon to see if my creditors will go for it but was told thats to high £30 per month is max they give you on this and thats freeman jones

JOHNPAUL
JOHNPAUL

ray_a

Post by ray_a » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:26 pm
There are so many reasons for getting into debt and in many cases circumstances push you into it!

OK I accept the consequences but I don't see why are children should suffer for our previous decisions!

johnpaul

Post by johnpaul » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:29 pm
hi agree with you ray thats not fair at all i my iva meetin g is within 4 weeks the best thing to do is to put ant spare cash you have into the pot in a savings account it soons builds up

JOHNPAUL
JOHNPAUL
73 posts Page 2 of 5
Return to “postbag for october”