Co-op Bank

60 posts Page 1 of 4

Tillergirl

Post by Tillergirl » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:53 pm
I was shopping around for a basic back account in preparation for my IVA.

I was so happy when I visited the Co-op to open a Cashminder account. There was no attempt to upgrade me like the other banks, I hadn't been open about entering into an IVA, so the others all tried to talk me into current accounts with overdrafts or really talked down the basic bank account - and I felt awful having to talk my way out of any upgrades etc. At the Co-op I simply got what I asked for. I said I'd been online and wanted a Cashminder account due to the fact I was incurring regular overdraft fees and charges with my current bank which I felt where getting out of hand.

Within 1 week my new account was open.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:57 pm
Co-op have always been highly recommended on here.

Glad you got sorted.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Shining

Post by Shining » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:30 am
A great post about Co-op as per usual. I'm glad you're sorted with an account that suits you. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:41 am
The Co-op are brilliant, although don't forget if your credit score is still ok you can open a full account before you go into an IVA.

sg6646

Post by sg6646 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:42 pm
I had the same thing when I opened a Yorkshire Bank current account, in the end I told them about the IVA pending and they still wanted to give me the full account but took away the OD facility for the duration.

sg6646

Post by sg6646 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:46 pm
Forgot to say had my new card cloned within 10 weeks of opening new account. Luckily YB were sharp enough to pick up on it straight away and suspend the account, which i was thankful for. Similar circumstances with HBOS left me down 300 a few years ago.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:43 pm
That wasn't good! Glad you managed to get it without any damage having been done.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Pennyless

Post by Pennyless » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:14 pm
I've been with the Co-Op since starting my IVA and although they have offered me an overdraft etc and any one of their banking range I have maintained a basic account...cheque book but no overdraft.

Must say the bank have been excellant and hopefully when I have got my IVA sorted out I will remain with the Co-Op.......also can't beat being able to speak to someone in a UK call centre, unlike other banks that put you through to "script" readers!
I came into this world with nothing and still have most of it left!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:21 am
Must admit that's one thing I like about Nationwide as well. They're not foreign call centres and you get someone who can understand your regional accent and knows what you are talking about!
Bob Marley.

Imhotep

Post by Imhotep » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:55 am
Try having the Co-op as one of your creditors. That'll change your minds about them. I've banked with them for 25 years. Because of the last three months I have no love at all for them.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:08 am
I was the same with HSBC - they were no help to us at all and in fact encouraged us to get deeper in debt!

We'd been with them for about the same length of time and I wouldn't touch them again if they were the last bank in the world.
Bob Marley.

Pennyless

Post by Pennyless » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:43 am
Imhotep/Kallis...yes good points...I suppose its a lot differant with any bank when you owe them money.
I came into this world with nothing and still have most of it left!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:31 am
I don't rate HSBC/First Direct now anyway as they close accounts for people in an IVA/BR even if they have conducted their account properly.

That's just not on in my opinion.
Bob Marley.

thefsg

Post by thefsg » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:37 am
We're with the Co-op and they're great. The call centre always seems to answer quickly and has always dealt knowledgeably and promptly with any requests. The online banking is as good as anything our pre-IVA bank Lloyds had - seems easier to use somehow. Their debit card is now a Visa Debit (was Electron) but many retailers' systems won't necessarily be updated yet with this change. It's a bit of a pain not having a chequebook, but my wife is not in an IVA so can produce one if necessary. We made a small mistake in that when we opened the Cashminder account prior to proceeding with the IVA we probably could have opened a full one as our credit situation still looked OK (then!)
Debt problems, what debt problems? I'm not in De Thames, I'm in De Nile.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:53 am
And thankfully they still have UK call centres!

I would have stayed with the Co-op if my pre BR Nationwide account had been closed, but it seemed silly not to use a full account. I've kept my Co-op accounts open just in case!
60 posts Page 1 of 4
Return to “new bank accounts for IVA”