Co-op Bank

60 posts Page 2 of 4

Tillergirl

Post by Tillergirl » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:04 pm
I have opened a Cashminder account when in fact I could have opened a current acccount as at this point everything was fine with my credit rating.

But what is the advantage of a current account over a basic account anyway?

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:05 pm
I love the co op account also,my only downer with them is that they resfued to allow me to open an ISA for any savings I could make during my trust deed!! Appealed the decision and still they wouldnt let me even though no credit is involved!!

Bah humbug!!

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:18 pm
Tillergirl, with a full account you get a full debit card (although more basic accounts are offering these now) and a cheque book.

Tillergirl

Post by Tillergirl » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:30 pm
Thanks Skippy.

I am fine without a cheque book, not used one in the about 5 years anyway - and the Cashminder account has given me a Visa Debit card, which is exactly what I has with HSBC so I think the basic account is fine for me.

robolots

Post by robolots » Wed May 18, 2011 1:43 pm
Co Op have been a bunch of banana's to me. Explained i had finished IVa and wanted a business account. Sent all details with it including emails proving I had finished IVA early etc etc. Only for them to say if I come out of the IVa and can supply proof of finishing it, then they may reconsider. So for me Co Op are Cr*P

Judo

Post by Judo » Wed May 18, 2011 1:50 pm
I think robolots that emails wouldn't be sufficient enough proof. I think the best thing to send to them would be a copy of your completion certificate. Also, it might not help if it has been less than 6 years and the IVA is still on your credit files. :(

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed May 18, 2011 3:19 pm
I quite agree Judo - robolots needs to actually go into a branch and speak to someone. It might make all the difference.

Your IVA will still be on your credit file so perhaps that is what they are talking about.

The Co-op come highly recommended by posters on here.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

kazzafunk

Post by kazzafunk » Wed May 18, 2011 4:42 pm
In defence of the Co-op, had no problems. It's probably because it being a business account and probably all banks have strict compliance conditions for people just out of IVA's.
Kazza

Please visit my blog:
http://kazzafunk.blogs.iva.co.uk/

IVA completed 21/03/2012

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed May 18, 2011 4:45 pm
I can't think of anyone who has managed to get business account whilst an IVA is still showing on their records.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

morgan105

Post by morgan105 » Wed May 18, 2011 5:31 pm
I've been with the Co-op since the start of my IVA and found it great and their website is very easy to get around. The only little niggle I have with them is that there is no branches in any of the local towns where we shop so can't just nip in to deposit money, this is only a problem if I need to transfer funds quickly though. I can do it at the post office but still not sure if funds would be available straight away as Co-op site says they are but Post Office site says they will only be available by end of day at 5pm as they have not sent the bank its money yet.
Anybody got a answer to this?
IVA completed 29th July 2011.

kazzafunk

Post by kazzafunk » Wed May 18, 2011 5:39 pm
Hi Tillergirl. Just opened my account and the book does say that as you are handing over the cash with your debit card at the post office it's available immediately. I worried about not having a branch for 40 miles but the phone staff are excellent and when I go shopping in Plymouth I can just pop in if I need to.
Kazza

Please visit my blog:

IVA completed 21/03/2012

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed May 18, 2011 5:48 pm
I'm sure one of the more experienced Co-op customers will be able to help with this one.
Bob Marley.

ginger3232

Post by ginger3232 » Wed May 18, 2011 6:07 pm
Kazzafunk - check the Post Office website (banking) - it tell you what you can do at the PO with the Co-op accounts (as well as other bank accounts)

Yes you can pay cash in and it comes up with immediate up to date balances

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed May 18, 2011 6:24 pm
If you pay in cash at the Post Office it will be available in your Cashminder account straight away.

Regarding a business account, like Jan, I can't think of anyone who has been successful opening one, although I have heard that Barclays may be sympathetic.

kazzafunk

Post by kazzafunk » Wed May 18, 2011 6:28 pm
Thanks Ginger - I am very confused now - I was answering a question on here by Tillergirl which has now mysteriously disappeared. Can that happen?
Kazza

Please visit my blog:

IVA completed 21/03/2012
60 posts Page 2 of 4
Return to “new bank accounts for IVA”