co-op referral?

31 posts Page 1 of 3

dand

Post by dand » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:50 pm
hi all,

well i took the plunge yesterday and contacted an IVA advisor who, after stating my case, has said i am eligable for an IVA. I am a little worried however because i have tried to open a basic co-op account today, and it has been referred. not sure what this means, but obviously i am nervous as i need another bank account as my current bank is a creditor.

can i apply to another bank IE Yorkshire bank, or shall i wait? will it affect my chances if i apply to Yorkshire today?

Also im having problems finding out which banks aren't linked to any of my creditors. They are

Lloyds
Barclays
A&L
Tesco
Edge (card) Toys r us
HFC

any help is appreciated.

Thanks
F&F Accepted on 12th March 2015!
Completion Cert arrived 26th March 2015!

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:56 pm
A lot of people have been referred by the Co-op and had their application approved. Are you on the electoral register at your current address, as the only reason I know they turn you down is if you're not.

size5

Industry Expert

Post by size5 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:57 pm
You can't use RBS due to the Tesco link, but rest assured that it is perfectly normal for the Co-Op to "refer" accounts sometimes. This does not mean that the account has been refused, more that there may be a problem with verifying your identity, for example if you have only recently moved and are not yet on the voters roll.

You should be ok so long as you can prove your identity if asked to do so. In the meantime, I suppose that there is no harm in having another iron in the fire with Yorkshire if you so choose.

Regards.
Cert DR
23+ years in debt advice
I do not post for anyone other than myself

Follow my tweets at http://twitter.com/debtmastersize5

dand

Post by dand » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:01 pm
thanks for your help.

yes i am on the electoral register, and have been since i bought my house (5+ yrs)

obviously this has worried me.

Have Yorkshire bank got any relation to my creditors?

thank you all

size5

Industry Expert

Post by size5 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:36 pm
No, you would be fine with Yorkshire.

Regards.
Cert DR
23+ years in debt advice

dand

Post by dand » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:38 pm
you're a rock start!

is there a webpage which will tell me who is assosoated with who?

IE which of my creditors are connected to other banks etc

dand

Post by dand » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:46 pm
whoops meant star!

size5

Industry Expert

Post by size5 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:47 pm
If there is then I am not aware of it, but take time to ring your provider if it is worrying you. You will not be inconveniencing them in any way and they will be happy to put your mind at rest.

Tesco has a link to RBS, and HFC are part of the HSBC group but other than that you will be fine.

Regards.
Cert DR
23+ years in debt advice

MrsKnight

Post by MrsKnight » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:59 pm
Hi there Dand & welcome from me

Yorkshire Bank are run by the bank of Australia - so they should be no risk of them being related to your creditors.
I got a Yorkshire Bank Basic account with a maestro card & online banking whilst my IVA was being processed. There are no credit checks for this account with Yorkshire but you do need to apply by phone or in a branch.
Hope this helps & good luck with your IVA x
Final IVA payment made in April 2013, never ever thought we could do it or get through it but we did! X

An IVA.co.uk Mentor is someone sharing from their experiences of dealing with debt

Lyns x

dand

Post by dand » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:03 pm
thanks for this,

if i apply with them, do i need to tell them im starting an IVA, and do i need to give them my current banks details? Or am i ok to say i havent got another bank account and that i just want to open another account.

MrsKnight

Post by MrsKnight » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:32 pm
Hi Dand.

No you dont need to give or tell them anything - its a basic account & they do not do credit checks to open the account. You just need proofs of address like council tax bill/gas bill & a form of ID - Driving license/Passport.
All I told them was I wanted a basic account with no overdraft for my housekeeping & spending money, but I believe Yorkshire Bank are sympathetic to IVAs from previous posters on here whom applied & told them.
And you can also tell them that they you have gone to them because they where highly reccommended - that should make them smile & your process easier!
Good luck & hope you get sorted soon x
Final IVA payment made in April 2013, never ever thought we could do it or get through it but we did! X

An IVA.co.uk Mentor is someone sharing from their experiences of dealing with debt

Lyns x

dand

Post by dand » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:35 pm
Thanks Mrs Knight!

Its difficult because i dont like holding back on info, but on the other hand i need to set another account up. I think ill go to my local Yorkshire Bank in the morn and try and open an account even though the Co op is still pending. What have i to loose?

Thanks again.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:40 pm
Nothing to lose, and you could end up with not one, but two bank accounts!
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

MrsKnight

Post by MrsKnight » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:47 pm
Sorry just another thought looking at your 1st post again on this:
My Creditors where also Barclays, A&L, Tescos & yorkshire Bank are not linked.
& thinking on the front of you wanting to pay you wages & any other income into this account - you could say that you had been highly reccommended & you just want an account for you household bills & wages to go in.
I was fortunate at the time of my IVA was going through to get another account with another bank (one that U r linked to on your list). And I was setting up this particular account for my bills & income they really pressed for me to get an overdraft & HAD to tell them I was not allowed credit as I was going through with an IVA - they said thank you for your honesty & still got the account.
Yorkshire Bank gave me my account number straight away on application - so I could go away & set up all my direct debits, direct debits etc & i got my card within 5 days along with my online banking info.
Sorry I waffled I have two little ones running round me & I forget to type everything I am thinking! You will be able to apply easily by phone & send copies of your ID/ proof address in - or apply directly within a branch (appointment will be needed) & take all your info on id & proof of address in with you.

Lyns x

dand

Post by dand » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:54 pm
Wow! what a reply!

I guess the co op thing has got me spooked a little thats all, but i think i would rather have the Yorkshire account as their branch is closer to me.

I can beat you cause i got 3 little'uns under my feet at mo!

ill go to Yorkshire tomorrow, and just say i want to open an account for wages and household bills etc. What do i say if they ask if i have another account, and how much info should i give them? Because they always ask if you have store cards/credit cards etc etc.

Not that you havent helped enough, but any more advice?

Thanks a million!
31 posts Page 1 of 3
Return to “new bank accounts for IVA”