Coop Visa Debit is Still Electron

14 posts Page 1 of 1

Adders

Post by Adders » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:37 am
Received my new Visa Debit card from the coop cashminder account. Very nice embosed card stating Visa Debit not electron. Tried using it to pay for fuel at the pump Message came up "Electron not accepted"
In short i have spoken to the COOP who state it is just a rebranding and will still only be accepted as an electron. They apologised that this is not made clear in any leaflets that come with the card. Also my friend works in a bank and they state that the 4508 75 prefix is clearly recognised as a Electron Card.

Anybody else got any news from the Coop

carrie

Post by carrie » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:36 am
I opened my Cashminder in April. I phoned yesterday because I thought they were automatically sending debit cards out for all account holders, but was told I would not receive one until renewal unless my was lost or damaged. I keep hearing conflicting information about these cards. Some say Co-op themselves say different things depending on which staff you speak to.
I would 'damage' my card in order to receive a new one, but if I will only get a fancy electron card what's the point.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:31 am
To be honest I don't see what the problem is with Visa Electron. I've only had mine refused once, and that was on the M & S website.

I've used pay at the pump a couple of times when I've been with my OH and I don't think it's got any benefits anyway - it's no quicker than paying in the shop, and if all of them are like the Tesco near me you have to enter your PIN in full view of anyone looking as you can't move the keypad!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:01 am
A lot of stores who refuse Electron online will accept it if you phone up - daughter did it with her insurance.

I never use pay at pump either. I prefer to go into the garage.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

sjbyron

Post by sjbyron » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:30 am
But surely the point is, that Coop are coning their customers, they send a leaflet out saying that the new visa debit will be accepted in more places than the old electron card , but all they have done is dressed up the electron and some shops that accept Electron wont accept it as it confuses the machines.

I dont think Coop are as ethical as they make out to be, and maybe a big complaint should be raised with them especially as their is not much choice available for Bankrupts,
Stu J Byron

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:41 am
Stu, perhaps if you feel that strongly then you ought to make the complaint?

Regarding the ethical side, I would much rather use a bank that doesn't invest in companies that are involved in animal exploitation and the arms trade than one who does. If that means that something about it might be less convenient for me then I can live with that.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:43 am
Hear, hear!
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

sjbyron

Post by sjbyron » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:06 pm
I may just do that Skippy but when I am discharged just incase they close my account down, until then I will try and use my dressed up visa electron card
Stu J Byron

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:10 pm
I would do it now if you do feel so strongly about it.

If they closed the account down, wouldn't you still be able to use your ThinkBanking one?
Bob Marley.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:17 pm
I agree. If you're going to complain about something you have to do it when the problem actually occurred if you want to be taken seriously.

If you really feel that strongly then do something about it - make the complaint and take a chance on whether they will close your account. As Jan says if you've still got your Think Banking account you can always go back to that.

thefsg

Post by thefsg » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:33 pm
My card is giving up the ghost and I've only had it since January so I've requested a new one - see if the new one is a "proper" card.

I find the Electron is pretty well accepted everywhere, the only place I have a problem is our local Asda petrol station that only has pay-at-pump and is completely unmanned (or is that unpersoned?)
Debt problems, what debt problems? I'm not in De Thames, I'm in De Nile.

carrie

Post by carrie » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:26 pm
I still don't feel confident unless I see the sign in the shop window saying it's accepted.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:37 pm
I've used mine in a lot of places where it doesn't say it's accepted. If it says it accepts Visa I'll try it.

Adam16

Post by Adam16 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:56 pm
I have nothing but praise for the co-op but do appreciate the frustation.

I struggle to believe they would cancel your account just because you have complained.

I am fortunate enough to have the full account however.
50 months down 22 to go!
14 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “new bank accounts for IVA”