council tax office say my arrears cant be included

4 posts Page 1 of 1

natalie.b

Post by natalie.b » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:30 pm
i am currently going through an IVA which is still being assessed. I am in arrears with last years council tax. Accuma have advised that this can be included but the council tax office say no it cannot. it is currently with a baliff. Should I inform them whats happening as I have stopped all my payments to them but I don't want them knocking on my door.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:35 pm
Hi natalie.b and welcome to the forum

I agree with Accuma - your council have no right to prefer themselves with regard to unpaid council tax. But what I generally find is that local authorities do not generally understand insolvency procedures, and cannot be seen to be compromising a debt until a formal insolvency is in place.

Let Accuma sort this out for you with the council directly. This is part of their nominee work.

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.
View my IVA blog at: http://melaniegiles.blogs.iva.co.uk
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

natalie.b

Post by natalie.b » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:10 pm
Thank you Melanie

It is really nice to ask a question and get such a quick response. I have been going through the questions and answers that people are posting. I know this sounds bizarre but it is reassuring that I am not the only one going through such difficult times.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:15 pm
It's great that you are finding the site useful, Natalie. Do not hesitate to post any further queries you have. Rest assured that you are not alone in your difficulties.

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.
View my IVA blog at: http://melaniegiles.blogs.iva.co.uk
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “IVA postbag for february”