Councillor down the Swanny

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
56 posts Page 2 of 4

Max

Post by Max » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:06 am
In the case I mentioned it was a combinaion of illness and failed buiness. Michael, do you know which Secretary of State is responsible for the Insolvency Service - treasury or Home Office?

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:11 am
I believe it is Peter Mandelson or Lord of whatever he is now as I think it comes under Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills. Maybe someone else can confirm this.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Max

Post by Max » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:13 am
Thank you - there is enough ifo on here now for me to draft a half decent letter to my MP which I shall now do.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:14 pm
Steve Austin wrote:

Thankyou for all your comments apart from Angelrainbow.

Being Insolvent does not mean I would be unable to make clear concise decisions on money matters. Behind every IVA there is a story from failed businesses to failed marriages. Many people in an IVA could be there through no fault of their own.
Steve, I agree wholeheartedly.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

janderson

Post by janderson » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:21 pm
Hi All

it was this clause that lead me to having to resign some positions I held with organisations I worked with as a board member and director. The question about wether I am able to make decisions on financial issues is crazy. I am the same person i was pre IVA and have not suddenly lost my faculties because of the IVA.
These crazy regs cause the loss to society of highly experienced and driven individuals who have alot to give. I will be looking at the possibility of being a local councillor next year when we have our local elections and would hate to find i am not able to stand for this public office too.

As to the insolvency register issue, people who use these pieces of information to slate individuals and denegrate them in the eyes of the public only serve to show then own low level of personal probity and moral backbone. They do not have in my view the right to serve others if that is how they obtain their office..

Good luck to all who seek to serve

John

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:29 pm
People who have taken steps to address their financial difficulties should not be penalised in my view, regardless of the position they are applying for.

They have been open and above board about money. All jobs should be available to people who have made an effort to sort themselves out.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Max

Post by Max » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:36 pm
John, I could not agree more. We lost a good Councillor because of dirty tricks - my post above refers. Anyway, on a good point my Parish Priest appointed an ex bankrupt and ex certificated accountant to a school under his absolute control.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:02 pm
That's good then David.
Bob Marley.

Max

Post by Max » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:05 pm
I forgot to say as the school's bursar. It would not have happened with a school under LA control - fortunately ours are not.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:15 pm
It's a pity that people are not judged on their merits, rather than on how they manage their own money.
Bob Marley.

Max

Post by Max » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:33 pm
You are so right on that one.

ivas4us

Post by ivas4us » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:18 pm
It would make more sense to ban drink drivers from the pub rathar than stop someone becoming a councillor purely because of thier financial backround.
IVA.co.uk The best place for debt advice. Thanks to Melanie Giles, David Mond, David and J (Elv5) Kallis, Dand, Skippy, Andy Davie

Max

Post by Max » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:24 pm
Paul, can you help me out please - perhaps you will reply on my e-mail address so as not to hog this thread. I do prison visiting - one is going to be discharged soon - he comes from your part of the world - any idea where he could get a roof over hs head? He is not dangerous!

ivas4us

Post by ivas4us » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:07 pm
David, I have emailed you.
IVA.co.uk The best place for debt advice. Thanks to Melanie Giles, David Mond, David and J (Elv5) Kallis, Dand, Skippy, Andy Davie

Max

Post by Max » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:09 pm
Thanks alot - read it. I get landed with all sorts of things - you are going to be VERY useful!
56 posts Page 2 of 4
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”