credit cards and interest

8 posts Page 1 of 1

look_divine

Post by look_divine » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:37 pm
i know this may seem stupid
but just realised that my egg card is charging me £167 interest a month and also paying £78 payment protection
I have rang them to cancel the protection but can i not do anything about the interest?
Im paying them the minimum payment which has been £245 a month [V]

Til

Post by Til » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:50 pm
Hiya LD - Can't say if you can do anything about the interest - sure an expert will advise soon... however you are not alone our interest was stupid pre iva but just last week a friend told me her MBNA card was very similar in amounts to your egg one - seems crazy!
"Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn't permanent." - Jean Kerr

IVA approved Aug 2008 - 6 year term - last payment made 6 Oct 2014. CC received 14 Nov 2014.

look_divine

Post by look_divine » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:52 pm
so in theory im not paying anything off the card the instead its going up

Til

Post by Til » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:11 pm
yeah seems like it - my friend stopped using her card when it was near its limit and just kept paying min payments - after 3 months of not using her card the interest alone had taken the card over the limit so just paying min payment meant the balance kept going up!

It would be bad enough if balances stayed same as you would be paying but never getting anywhere - but for a balance to increase while paying min payments is very scary indeed!
"Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn't permanent." - Jean Kerr

IVA approved Aug 2008 - 6 year term - last payment made 6 Oct 2014. CC received 14 Nov 2014.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:18 pm
You do agree to pay interest when you take these cards out, but you may be able to get the creditors to agree to a reduction or an interest free period. Anything is worth asking for and at the end of the day they can only say no.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

siorghra

Post by siorghra » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:10 pm
I was in the same situation. I didn't use my Egg card for 5 months and could only afford the minimum and the interest took it overlimit. Crazy!!

I have only missed one payment with Egg while my IVA is being set up and they have already sent me a 3 page default notice.

A colleague is work has applied for an Egg card and I politely told her what to do with it when it arrived as they are such lovely people [:p]

moretolife

Post by moretolife » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:18 pm
hi there LD..just before we entered our IVA we totted up that a huge percentage of our total debt owed was probably interest that had been charges to our various cards in the two years when we only made minimum payments...like you we would pay 150.00 or so and they would add back on 160,00...talk about two steps forward one step back....
soul destroying
IVA completed 11th Dec 2009 due to a Full and Final with the fantastic help of Michael Peoples and
Mc Cambridge Duffy

Visit my blog...Journey from Debt to Life Post IVA
http://moretolife.blogs.iva.co.uk

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:46 pm
Hi

Probably the majority of us have the same story - the amount borrowed is a lot less than what we pay back, if we can only afford minimum payments.

What annoyed me with our case, was the fact we started the ball rolling for an IVA in July 06 and through total ineptness of the company we chose, the creditors did not meet unti Feb 07. So, as payments had then been missed ( no payments missed prior to deciding upon IVA) charges and interest were accrued. Ah if only I had found this forum then...

I guess this is how the credit card companies make their money.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “how are you coping?”