Credit history Afterwards

2 posts Page 1 of 1

satbeychap

Post by satbeychap » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:01 pm
Hi, Is there a definite answer on how long an IVA is on your credit history for?
Having had credit checks for different things over the course of my iva, i am fully aware that it is marked on my record from the day it was accepted. That is fine and to be expected. I also know that things like this stay on your record for 6 years.
However when i first was "sold" the idea of the iva, i was led to believe that as it lasts for 5 years, you would only have a year after it finishes before it is gone and your credit is "clean" again.
I have seen a lot of posts on this forum though which say that it is 6 years from completion of the iva?
If this is the case then the iva is effectively tarring your credit history for 11 years!
What incentive is there if this is the case to undergo an iva instead of going bankrupt which is over almost as soon as you file (i have 3 friends that were all discharged within 6 months).
I would like to think that as we are actually making an effort to pay back some of what we owe, we should get an easier ride than someone who takes the "easy" route.
p.s. i know that there are other drawbacks to going bankrupt but these seem trivial compared to my wages being effectively fixed and monitored for 5 years with another 6 years of having to use my family as guarantors for large things.

Annnnnnyway, end of rant!
thanks guys

Oliver

Post by Oliver » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:40 pm
Your IVA will be registered on your credit file for a period of six years which mirrors the same period which Bankruptcy is registered on your credit file for.

You will be on the Insolvency Register for the duration of your IVA (up until it completes) and in Bankruptcy you will remain on the register up until you are discharged.
Best Regards
Oliver
2 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “postings for february”