Creditors contacting you by mobile phone

23 posts Page 1 of 2

cr15py

Post by cr15py » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:05 am
Has anyone come across this before? I had a missed call on my phone last night and I'm not sure whether it is or it isn't one of my creditors. I don't recognise the number. They didn't say who they were or anything which is really odd, but it sounded like the woman who left me a message from MBNA on the voicemail message.
Chris
Visit my blog at http://cr15py.blogs.iva.co.uk
16 down, 44 to go!!

aguise

Post by aguise » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:07 am
I remember hubby getting calls from someone , and RMA also sent a text. We ignored them though.

Ang

Please visit my blog at http://aguise.blogs.iva.co.uk/
Please visit my blog at http://aguise.blogs.iva.co.uk/

debbiw

Post by debbiw » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:11 am
Cr15py, Have MBNA sold your debt on yet? I would just inform your IP and forget about it.

cr15py

Post by cr15py » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:14 am
I just wasn't sure whether they do it or don't do it - if they definitely didn't do it, then it obviously wasn't them, but I'm not sure.

Debbi - I haven't heard anything from MBNA, apart from asking for £300 IMMEDIATELY to clear outstanding arrears!! That has been forwarded to my IP!

I'm not overly concerned about the calls, I'm pleasantly surprised I have hardly heard anything as yet.

3 weeks on Friday to my meeting, and counting!! [:)]
Chris
16 down, 44 to go!!

debbiw

Post by debbiw » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:17 am
Good Luck Cr15py! Have a fantastic xmas, I'm sure things will be fine at your meeting. Then you can look forward to a debt free future.

cr15py

Post by cr15py » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:24 am
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping. I have been sitting down over the past couple of days working out what I could trim back on in my monthly expenditure to give me an accurate picture of what extra I could give to my creditors if they asked for any increase. I've come to £80 a month (including the £55 buffer the IP has already built in), so I'm fairly confident things will be OK, provided I get the votes.

I hope you have a fantastic Christmas as well debbi! [:D]
Last edited by cr15py on Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
16 down, 44 to go!!

debbiw

Post by debbiw » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:26 am
Cr15py, Watch the modifications if any, but make sure you understand them in full before agreeing any. I asked lots of questions re the modifications, because i wanted to fully understand what i was taking on x

OPTIMIST12

Post by OPTIMIST12 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:32 am
Absolutely - DO listen carefully to your Modifications - its all too easy to get swept away by the euphoria of acceptance on the day that you dont really take them in. I had a whole pile of Mods but the only really significant one was the Minimum Dividend clause. But with all these ones now demanding big monthly increases I think cr15py is doing absolutely the right thing by working out just what may be affordable.

I used to get mobile phone calls and texts from Creditors - but it was the ones who phoned my work number that really used to be awkward and stressful.
47 months completed - 13 months to go.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:36 am
I didn't answer if they phoned on my mobile and I used to turn the ringer down in the evening. If they phoned me at work I told them I wasn't prepared to speak to them and would only speak to them if they contacted me at home.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is the present - a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

OPTIMIST12

Post by OPTIMIST12 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:49 am
I am sure that the calls at work are aimed purely at worrying the debtor rather than achieving anything there and then - surely noone would expect a person to discuss their financial problems in the middle of their workplace!!! Mind you - it certainly worked with me - I would always make the creditor who phoned me at work the first one I phoned when I got home!!!

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:03 am
I never phoned anyone - they were all 0845 or 0870 numbers so I certainly wasn't going to pay to ring them back!

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is the present - a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

OPTIMIST12

Post by OPTIMIST12 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:13 am
Good Point. For me though - I used to prefer calling Creditors as I knew exactly which company I was contacting and could have my little speech ready before they had a chance to get my case details up!! I found that that often helped to take the wind out of their sails a bit. Might be my imagination but I seemed to get an easier ride when I made the call - though of course I could only say the same thing time and time again!!!

Thank Goodness those days are over. Hooray for IVAs!!!!

emma_t

Post by emma_t » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:15 pm
I got millions of calls (maybe a slight exageration but felt like it!!!) on my mobile.
Barclaycard were the only ones to leave a recorded message, but no one else would leave a message which is a bit annoying.
Good luck cr15py
Be positive & look after yourself, there are more important things in life than debts....

Best Wishes

Emma x

melanie.n

Post by melanie.n » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:09 pm
Hi there
Just a little bit of useful information,particularly to those in the process of sorting out their debts (pre iva/bankruptcy etc)some creditors in particular Capital One and MBNA have a reputation of calling clients continually. If this happens and you receive 3 or more calls in 24hrs you can inform them that this is classsed as harassement and as such you are going to report them to Trading Standards, you don't have to go through with the complaint, but it works! Whilst trying to sort out debts etc, it is very difficult in dealing with this type of creditor as they will not update systems of your present circumstances, until they have a copy of the proposal for IVA or notification form the OR. The computer automatically dials you as a non paying customer and you end up speaking to someone in a call centre who does not understand the basics of debt or the steps you are trying to take.

Best advice, change your number, screen calls or operate a 'call bar' on your mobile phone, most mobiles have the facility where you can 'block' numbers from 'witheld' origins (callcentres) or if a number is displayed when you answer this type of call add it to your 'call bar' list.

Hope this helps

Melanie

cr15py

Post by cr15py » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:16 pm
Thanks guys!! [:)]

I don't actually answer any numbers which I don't know the origin of (i.e. withheld or unknown numbers), and my phone is always on silent (and in my possession) anyway, so they won't get hold of me - this one did throw me slightly because they did leave a message "Hi Chris (when my proper name is Christopher, and this is what they have referred to me as all the way through), can you call me back........on this number" and that's it. But it's the voice I recognised immediately as the woman from MBNA who has contacted me, and left messages on my voicemail before.
Chris
16 down, 44 to go!!
23 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “the hot hot IVA topics in 2007, 20 replies plus”