d-day, nearly here.

26 posts Page 1 of 2

c.j

Post by c.j » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:12 am
Hi.
my creditors meeting is on wednesday. feeling so sick and nervous. think i will have to take the day off work wont be able to cocentrate. i still cant get the hang of shopping on a budget, i know i will have to but i cant seem to cut the bill down. help!! any tips anyone.
Iva finished !

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am
Hi C.J,

Firstly, good luck for Wednesday. I am sure it will be ok.

I took the day off work as well, much easier to mope around at home than try and concentrate on work, but when it is agreed, it is the most wonderful feeling!

As for budgeting, we take a list out with us every week and a specific amount of cash (what's left usually!). We generally only put in our trolley what is on the list, and note down the price. We tot up as go along so we know we are not going to go over. Sometimes if there is a BOGOF offer on on something we normally use, we'll stock up on it if we can afford it

We don't do any other shopping at all. Clothes I try and get off Ebay, plus I sell stuff on there as well.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:45 am
Agree with Kallis3,the only way to shop is with a list of things you need,this does take time to get right but you will get the hang of it. We write a list on the fridge of items we have in the cupboards and fridge,then write a list of meals we can have for the week,then start to make a grocery list of what we need to make the meals(not counting the stuff we already have). Stick to it on the way round the shops and dont feel silly walking round with a calculator in your hand(take a small one if you like rather than one of those big scientific calculators!!!!),and only ever have with you the money you have to spend on groceries for the week. Multibuy deals often dont save you very much,so use the calculator to work out if they really are a bargain,and 2 for 1 offers often cause us to go over the budget but we alwasy take the amount off the following weeks shopping money.

Oh and dont shop on an empty stomach as you just impulse buy stuff you fancy eating and then it goes to waste!!!

Good luck.
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:04 pm
It depends with the multi buy stuff. I will always stock up if it's stuff I normally use, and if I have enough money. It also pays to check if buying two of the smaller items can work out cheaper than the large one. I drink Kenco decaff coffee. The 200g jar at Asda is £5.28, they are doing an offer where you can get 2 100g jars for £4.00! Bargain!

We also buy our meat from the local butcher. Fortunately we had got a stock built up, so every week whatever we have used we replace.

The one thing I won't compromise on is eggs - they have to be free range even though they are pricey.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Soulgrowth

Post by Soulgrowth » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:50 pm
Hi CJ

Just wanted to say good luck for Wednesday ... I know just how berve wracking it can be.

Debbie
Debbie

chardonnay

Post by chardonnay » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:52 pm
Hi and good luck for Wednesday.
Like the others I use lists and lists about the lists!! If you think positively budgeting can actually be fun - finding the cheapest deals and shopping around!!
I check frequently what I have in the cupboard and then devise a list of meals and home made lunches for work - If I decide on salad then I buy a lettuce, etc which will do the weeks lunches and also salad for some evenings.
I jot down items I will need as I go along so I know what I plan to buy and I stick to what's on the list!!
It's hard to break old habits of buying things you fancy trying, but it gets easier!!
Good luck again,
C x
Chardonnay

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:52 pm
Good luck x

aguise

Post by aguise » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:06 pm
Hi there and the best of luck for wednesday.
Budgeting takes a while to settle into. Just as said make a list of what you actually need, stock a little if there are bogofs but only if they are something you ususally buy. I go through the cuboards before shopping to see what I actually need. You can make a list of dinners for the week, that can help.
You will be fine try not toworry but I know you will. We are always here if you need a chat or support.

Ang
Please visit my blog at http://aguise.blogs.iva.co.uk/

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:03 pm
Talking of budgeting has anyone tried the asda 2p sausages yet???

I like my sausages as a treat from the butchers so would probably steer clear of cheepo ones but wondered if they'd be any good in a casserole etc.

angela18

Post by angela18 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:08 pm
neverheard of 2p sausages
Ang.. 13 payments in.. WOW, thats over 20% paid!! http://angela18.blogs.iva.co.uk/ well here we go

if you wish for a rainbow... then you have to put up with the rain xx

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:15 pm
They were on the bbc news a couple of weeks ago.
A chef said they werent something he could eat,you just move them around your mouth and swallow!!!

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:15 pm
I saw them in the papers a little while ago - they cost 16p for a pack of 8 sausages.

They didn't have a great deal of meat in them, and to be honest I'd rather go without as I'd worry about what I was eating, and also the level of animal welfare.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has tried them though.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:16 pm
Not tried them, we get ours from the butcher.

I do buy a fair bit of Asda smart price stuff - their stuffing is great at 13p a packet, use their tinned toms, kidney beans, tomato an veg soup. Taste fine and dirt cheap.
Bob Marley.

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:28 pm
We never used to go near the shops own brand stuff(b***** snobs!!!),and we used to stare at people going through the reduced items section,now the wife charges right up there and pushes past people to get the bargains!!! Great fun to go shopping and only spend whats in your pocket!!!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:31 pm
Must admit that there are still things I won't buy, like baked beans - I think the branded ones are much better value for money.
Bob Marley.
26 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “IVA creditors meeting soon: wish me luck!”