Dieting during an IVA

74 posts Page 1 of 5

Neleheel

Post by Neleheel » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:37 pm
Hi

We have our creditors meeting booked for 9th September and will hopefully be entering into our IVA on that date (fingers crossed). However since we began the IVA procedure I have been trying to manage my weekly shopping within the IVA allowance (£380 a month for 2 adults and 1 child) and have been finding it very difficult unless we want to live on birds eye crispy chicken! Although on paper the amount sounds quite generous.

I know that we were living on credit for a long time before this and having to shop within a budget is something that I am currently relearning so hopefully I will get better at it.

I am now wanting to tackle my weight as I need to lose a lot and am following Weight Watchers.

Do you all manage to shop within the IVA guidelines and do you actually find shopping cheaper or more expensive when dieting? I am panicking a bit as will be living within this budget for the next 5-6 years!

I would be very interested in feedback and any tips, ideas or useful recipes.

love
Helen

nepensioner

Post by nepensioner » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:07 pm
Hi Helen
I am waiting for the date of my creditors meeting and am practising budgeting at the moment, and am also a Weight Watcher. My greatest savings so far have been buying my fruit and veg at the local market as opposed to the supermarket, and also ASDA's 4 for £5 frozen WW meals.

janetXX
F & F Accepted 19th Oct 2010

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:14 pm
I'm also a Weight Watcher, so good luck to you both!

I've found that buying meat in the local butcher rather than the supermarket can work out cheaper, and like Janet says it's a good idea to get fruit and veg from the market.

Janet, is the WW offer on at Asda at the moment? I don't have them for dinner but I sometimes have one as a quick low point lunch.

nepensioner

Post by nepensioner » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:43 pm
Hi Skippy
Yes they were on yesterday with a fair choice. When I am feeling lazy, have these in the evening with a pile of veg!!! What I mean is most nights really, because it saves me working out the points values however am due to retire in a month and intend to change my ways!!!
Janet
F & F Accepted 19th Oct 2010

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:58 pm
We find it quite easy to stick to our budget. We make a list and stick to it. Usually buy own brand food as it's cheaper.

When we started I would always do a virtual shop at the big supermarkets to find out which was cheapest.

We get our meat from the butcher as well, but veg comes from the supermarket. Hubby always makes a big batch of curry etc so that keeps us going.

No diets though although I do wish everyone well with theirs.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Shining

Post by Shining » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:27 pm
I try my best to stay in budget and one way I manage this is to draw out the cash for some reason this works for me and I also wish you all the best with your creditors meeting x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:32 pm
We just use cash as well. I find it easier that way.

Good luck from me for your meeting as well.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

carole2662

Post by carole2662 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:27 pm
We use cash aswell and try to sti k to a shopping list. We eat quite well and find that if you try to cook from scratch and dont eat ready meals it is infact cheaper.Hubby and son went on a thai cookery course last year, just one day but that has helped to cook really tasty meals.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:05 pm
We have a bit of a dilema with Thai food - I don't do hot and hubby doesn't do coconut!
Bob Marley.

Neleheel

Post by Neleheel » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:15 pm
Thanks everyone,

I did do a virtual shop last week to see how much it would cost and then went to the supermarket to buy it. I do usually stick to a list.

I was wondering whether it would be better to try shopping with cash so will give that a go!

I will check out fruit and veg prices at the market too (hadn't thought of that!) and do already by the WW meals which are ok for me but husband isn't keen. Not sure if we have any butchers left here, will have to check yellow pages as all the ones I can think of have closed down.

I think I need to get less lazy and cook more meals from scratch and I need to stop snacking which adds pounds in all directions!

Interested to hear what anyone else has to say too!

Thanks for all your good wishes. Fingers crossed for creditors meeting!

Helen
x

Shining

Post by Shining » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:08 am
I go to Aldi/Lidl for fruit and veg as they're both local to me and I can't beat them on price for fruit/veg/salad.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:06 am
The only time I do ready meals is when I am on a late shift at work and then it's usually the reduced price stuff.

When we visit the nearest Indian supermarket to stock up on spices (soooo much cheaper and in larger quantities than the main supermarkets), I also buy their tinned curries and prepacked curries. They're authentic (always made in India) and taste great. Ideal for work.

Other than that, all our meals are made from scratch.
Bob Marley.

Mrs Pish

Post by Mrs Pish » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:16 pm
"I go to Aldi/Lidl for fruit and veg as they're both local to me and I can't beat them on price for fruit/veg/salad"

Same as Lesley, you can't bat the fruit and veg offers.

I'm a WW gold member but will have the eat this way for the rest of my life so still follow all the guidelines.

Definitely cook from scratch and when you can be bothered, batch cook so you always have food in the freezer for when you're short of time and effort.

Things like veg, pasta, passata, tuna and rice are all cheap. Buy whole chickens instead of portions and make it do 2 meals. I just did a whole weekly shop for 4 for £47 and that includes a wine box!

If it's of any help, my (points counted) weekly menu this week is:

S: Roast chicken, new potatoes, greek salad
M: Leftover chicken in a tomato sauce with chorizo, cougettes, mushrooms and onions, served with cous cous and mange tout
T: Mushroom risotto
W: Sausages, mash, broccoli, onion gravy
T: Porcupine meatballs, green beans, rice
F: Gnocchi with veg sauce, rocket

Shining

Post by Shining » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:24 pm
Mrs Pish you're moving in with me!

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:27 pm
Mrs Pish, I'm probably being thick here, but what's a porcupine meatball?

Most of my meals are fish of some kind, or chicken, and I have a bit of a blow out on a Saturday. Unfortunately it's Saturday and Sunday this week, but hey ho, back to it tomorrow!
74 posts Page 1 of 5
Return to “weight watchers club”