Direct Debit set up without permission!

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
40 posts Page 1 of 3

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:42 pm
Hi all,

Hubby's IVA is with Accuma and at the moment we're waiting to hear if reduced payments can be made. When the IVA was set up,we paid by DD, however due to payday changes,over a year ago, we agreed with Accuma to cancel the DD and make monthly payments via debit card. DD also cancelled with the bank.

Imagine our horror when we received a letter from Halifax today to inform us there were insufficient funds to pay a DD with Accuma - therefore resulting in a charge of £35!! I explained to the not so nice lady at The Halifax that there was no DD set up!! She insisted there was one and Accuma had re-instated it on the 6th of this month. I told her I had not given my permission for this DD, but apparently as there is history of a DD with Accuma, they do not need my permission to re-instate a DD....this can't be right???

Anyway, it was pointless talking to her, so I checked my account online and there was a DD to Accuma set up. I rang Accuma to be told they didn't know who/how/why it had been re-instated but will refund me the charges. Thats somethong I guess, but how can this happen and what stops it happening again???

I can't believe Halifax will let a third party access or try to access my account without my permission, just because I use to have a DD set up.

I am fuming with Accuma and the Halifax....letters of complaint have been typed and I told Accuma I was going to post on this forum...so there [:D] Sorry to rant [:D]

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:51 pm
I'm not sure if they can or not HSBC did the same with me and my loan, I cancelled the DD and they immediately re-instated it.

At least Accuma have admitted their mistake and pay the charges.

And rant all you like!!!!!!!!
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:54 pm
That's terrible Julie! Unfortunately they can reinstate direct debits - the NICIIC (or something like that) did the same to Dave and he ended up in the same situation as you. It's worrying that they seem to be able to do what they want with your account despite the direct debit guarantee.

I'm not surprised at the level of service you got from Halifax - I had an account with them years ago and they didn't know the meaning of customer service!

poppy

Post by poppy » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:20 pm
That is so bad, what a nightmare.

It's good Accuma are giving you the money back but it should never have happened.

I also didn't think direct debits could be set up without your permission.

Hope you receive your money back soon x

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:26 pm
Thanks everyone - Halifax are absolutley awful! Just got off the phone to them again...they still insist they have done nothing wrong in accepting a DD from acompany even though they now admit I didn't set it up. Words fail me on how poor their customers service skills are - no apology.They evn told me that no-one not even Peter Jackson MD can cancel a charge! When its in place, its in place.

I absolutley abhor bad customer service. I've re-typed my letter to them now..boy am I annoyed.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:27 pm
That is why we do not use direct debits in our practice but standing orders - where our client has the control over the payments and not us.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

poppy

Post by poppy » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:28 pm
I can see why you are annoyed.

Grrrrr Halifax!!

liberta

Post by liberta » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:16 pm
No company should set up or reinstate a cancelled direct debit without your permission. If they have done so, you are covered by the Direct Debit Guarantee Scheme and they have to refund the money to you. If you are unable to get the refund directly from the company then speak to your bank who will repay the money into your account and reclaim it from the company themselves. The comapny is also liable for any charges you incur as a result of their taking money out of your account without your permission.
Kind regards, Elizabeth Pywowarczuk, Insolvency Practitioner.

If you would like me to advise you about an IVA and if appropriate propose one for you, please visit my website at www.liberta.uk.com

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:22 pm
My iva payments are standing order, I set them up myself and am glad I have control over them.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

freelili

Post by freelili » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:29 pm
Sorry that you had this happen to you Julie, I hope you feel a little bit better after your rant.

Good luck now.
LILY

http://freelili.blogs.iva.co.uk

I asked God for an answer, I have to live with his reply.
Exsisto an angelus quod planto quispiam sentio melior.

size5

Industry Expert

Post by size5 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:25 pm
As Mel has indicated via her practice, I know of very few organisations that work in this field that take d/d's. Most will take standing orders as the preferred method of payment, simply meaning that the provider of debt help/solution cannot make the problem worse by "calling" for the money when it is not there, leading to extra charges etc.

We are here to help, not make it potentially worse.

Regards.
Cert DR
23+ years in debt advice
I do not post for anyone other than myself

Follow my tweets at http://twitter.com/debtmastersize5

Shining

Post by Shining » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:00 am
How awful, I hope you persue this as Liberta financial says use the Direct Debit Guarantee, I would be furious too. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

james.c

Post by james.c » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:24 am
i found this out recently, even if you cancel a driect debit it can be re-instated by the other company, they can still for a direct debit even if you close your account, so you always must check with the company taking the direct debit that they cancel it from their end and get it in writing

jane.l

Post by jane.l » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:54 am
This happened to me with an overpayment of Tax Credits, we were paying it back at £50 per month but then went bankrupt. I stopped the direct debit on the say so of HMRC but I found out later they had reinstated it and taken £200 out of my bank [:0] I claimed it back off the bank, but it took 3 weeks and I told them under no circumstances was the direct debit to be allowed to be set up again! I now check my bank statements very carefully [:)]

UpToMyNeck

Post by UpToMyNeck » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:51 am
I have to check my old bank account daily, because since I cancelled my direct debit for my MBNA personal loan in mid October, they have reinstated it no less than SEVEN times. I just keep on cancelling it again, sooner or later I'm hoping they will get the message, but Natwest confirmed they do not have any control over it, MBNA can reinstate it if they hold my bank details. Interestingly, none of the other direct debits I cancelled have attempted to reinstate even once.
Non sibi sed omnibus
40 posts Page 1 of 3
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”