disability (higher rate mobility)

15 posts Page 1 of 1

karen.a

Post by karen.a » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:48 am
i receive disability (higher rate mobility) will this be included as income when i have my review in june.

ianmillington

Post by ianmillington » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:31 am
It could be - there is no hard and fast rule. I can only suggest you check with your Supervisor to ascertain his view.

Ian
Ian Millington
Insolvency Director
PDHL Ltd (formerly Personal Debt Helpline Ltd)
www.pdhl.co.uk

karen.a

Post by karen.a » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:25 pm
Hi Ian , I'm just concrened as I'm struggling to pay my IVA as it stands now.
ianmillington wrote:

It could be - there is no hard and fast rule. I can only suggest you check with your Supervisor to ascertain his view.

Ian

Soulgrowth

Post by Soulgrowth » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:29 pm
Hi Karen ... I don't know if this is of any help but when my IVA was proposed my child tax credit and working tax credits were taken as comprising my income ... so the same may apply to your disability allowance. I would be inclined to ring your IP sooner rather than later to find out if it will be included rather than getting a nasty shock later ... if that is the case

Why are you struggling? Were your payments unrealistic? Perhaps there are some other options for you.

Keep in touch ... we're her to help

Debbie
Debbie

karen.a

Post by karen.a » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:36 pm
Hi Debbie, it was a major case of at the time i was working 2 jobs now I'm only doing 1 as my health has deteriorated. 3 years ago i could walk 5 miles (and liked walking) now its difficult to walk 200 yards. Karen
Soulgrowth wrote:

Hi Karen ... I don't know if this is of any help but when my IVA was proposed my child tax credit and working tax credits were taken as comprising my income ... so the same may apply to your disability allowance. I would be inclined to ring your IP sooner rather than later to find out if it will be included rather than getting a nasty shock later ... if that is the case

Why are you struggling? Were your payments unrealistic? Perhaps there are some other options for you.

Keep in touch ... we're her to help

Debbie

Soulgrowth

Post by Soulgrowth » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:40 pm
Sorry to hear that Karen ... surely there must be something to accomodate your change of circumstances ... have you spoken directly to your IP? Do you own your own home? ... if not, would bankruptcy perhaps be a feasible option to give you a fresh start and relieve some of the stress as I'm sure that it cannot be helping your health.

Debbie
Debbie

karen.a

Post by karen.a » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:48 pm
Hi no I dont own my own house, and I dont suffer stress anymore since the IVA was set up, I just have to watch the pennies. Its tough but you just have to carry on. I've been bankrupt before and that was hard, i dont want to go down that road again unless absolutely necessary. Karen
Soulgrowth wrote:

Sorry to hear that Karen ... surely there must be something to accomodate your change of circumstances ... have you spoken directly to your IP? Do you own your own home? ... if not, would bankruptcy perhaps be a feasible option to give you a fresh start and relieve some of the stress as I'm sure that it cannot be helping your health.

Debbie

pixie

Post by pixie » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:17 pm
Hi Karen

You should be able to offset the disability against increased expenses. This is given to you to help you get around. Include in your expenses increased petrol use if you drive or taxi fares as you need them. If you need a mobility scooter or wheelchair then include associated expenses.
At the end of the day your health is the most important thing. Have a word with your IP, they might even be able to reduce the payment due to your income reducing.
Pixie
'Welcome to where ever you are, this is your life you've made it this far, welcome, you've got to believe right here right now is exactly where you're meant to be'
IVA started may 07 ended dec 08

ianmillington

Post by ianmillington » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:32 am
Great advice from the posters as usual.

I'm sure your IP will take a sensible view. You might like to have a quick look at your proposal to see whether the review clause (or any mods) refer to benefits. I would almost put money on them making no reference to benefits so with a bit of luck........

Once you've done this give your Supervisor a call and see what is said.

let us know Karen

Ian
Ian Millington
Insolvency Director
PDHL Ltd (formerly Personal Debt Helpline Ltd)
www.pdhl.co.uk

Soulgrowth

Post by Soulgrowth » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:49 am
Pixie makes some really good points about the increased expenses now that your circumstances have changed Karen ... do give your IP a call asap and let us know how you get on. We all help one another here so it is maybe that your experience, and the resulting information will later help someone else [:)]

Debbie
Debbie

ladyc

Post by ladyc » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:20 pm
I'm sure any sort of DLA cannot be touched as it is for specific needs. It is not taken into account in any other circumstances. I think it is only if you want to give some of it over.

You can obtain a motability car in exchange for this benefit. If you do this it also includes car tax insurance ,servicing and maintenance. This cannot be touched.
I am in a DMP and although I receive Higher rate care and mobility it is not included in the Income as I need it so it may well be the same for an IVA.
c m clark

rachellxx39

Post by rachellxx39 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:46 am
Hi in our ivas my daughters dla was included as income . She doesnt get high rate but it was still all included.

ladyc

Post by ladyc » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:59 am
I'm sure the creditors will take it and I'm not sure all the experts understand what it is,but I'm sure you are not required to put this into an IVA. It could be construed as misappropriation.
c m clark

lily

Post by lily » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:27 pm
Hi my two boys get DLA and they were counted as income. The IP agreed that their condition was 'more expensive' so one lot of it was offset. A couple of times I have had a motability lease car with the money as I a reliable car is essential for me. If you qualify for higher rate Mobility then its essential for you also, or a least money for transport.

This money is paid to the disabled person, now as I see it, your circumstances are going to differ from those without a disabilty and IVA's are supposed to be individual. If you NEED extra money because of an existing condition then you NEED it, so only the left overs should be contributed.
Last edited by lily on Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lily

ladyc

Post by ladyc » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:25 pm
Lily I agree completely. DLA isn't given for nothing. It's exactly what's on the label.
c m clark
15 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “we salute the special people managing disability”