Discharge Bankrupt

5 posts Page 1 of 1

clairew

Post by clairew » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:11 am
I was discharge on 9th July 2008 and I currently have a basic bank account with Nationwide.

I wanted to get some feedback from people who have applied for debit cards. I would really like to try and rebuild my credit rating and whilst I know that I have no hope of getting a credit card to help me do this, I was wondering if the same would apply to a debit card.

I have run my account perfectly since my bankrupty and would obviously not be asking for any credit facilities. Just the ability to use a debit card rather than making sure I have cash all the time would be a big help. I always thought that if you didnt have the money in your account then you couldnt use the debit card anyway?

I am currently waiting for my credit report to be updated with satisfied balances for all my creditors now that I have been discharged. I was going to wait until this was completed then go to my bank with proof of my discharge and ask for a debit card.

Can people tell me what their experiences have been and whether you have any tips.

Thanks

C

zoe

Post by zoe » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:37 am
HI THERE
You will Not get a debit card from the Nationwide, their policy is to wait the full 6 years for BR to go before offering. I tried and also appealed so can tell you for certain.
There are not many that will accept for a debit card. I was lucky enough to get a cashminder from Co-op although i understand that they are not looking favourabley any more.
I think it will be a case of a prepaid debit card i think.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:21 pm
It really annoys me that banks won't give out debit cards to people with credit problems.

After all, it is not a credit card, you cannot spend money that is not in your account. If you don't have an overdraft then if you try to use your card and the money isn't there - you can't use it!!!!!

I can have a cash card, which is sort of similar, but only with cash machines.

Other than that - what's the difference?
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

sjw

Post by sjw » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:25 pm
hi, me and hubby went br in april we have both opened accounts with cooperative bank cashminder account there very good i explained when appying for account that we were going br and they were fine with both have debit cards, try them .

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:45 pm
I have an account with the Co-op and I haven't had any problems - their customer service is excellent and I haven't missed not having a local branch as I can use the Post Office.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “bankruptcy”