DMP Providers - charity or fee-based?

44 posts Page 2 of 3

Andrew Graveson

Post by Andrew Graveson » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:30 pm
Skipper wrote:

I am not covinced on the expertise arguement made by fee paying DMP company.The inportant thing about DMP is creditors reducing and not charging interest. Not a single DMP firm or charity can dictate that to creditors or stop CO been issued. No fees means more for I/E or/and to creditors.

It is not a hotel or restaurant service where paying more produce a more rewarding experience-it is about clearing your debts.

Hello Skipper,

How can you clear your debts if the repayment arrangements dictated to you are not relevant to your personal circumstances?

I've not made the "expertise" argument that you have mentioned anywhere in my posts. Expertise or not everyone is best served by an arrangement that is reasonable, viable, and equitable.

You are right to say that no company, free or otherwise, can dictate that interest is frozen. It is at the discretion of those who are owed the money. In my experience where creditors receive a fair repayment proposal an impressive number if them agree to support the debtor in their best efforts to clear the debt by freezing interest and other charges.

<<My motto:I am proud of black culture and is against racist bigotry>
Andrew Graveson
Mortgage Broker & Bright Oak Debt Management
andrew@brightoak.co.uk
www.brightoak.co.uk
Andrew Graveson
Bright Oak Ltd
UK Debt Management Company

chairmanmiaow

Post by chairmanmiaow » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:30 am
Really interesting replies - thanks to all those who have posted.

My gut feeling is that "paid for" DMP is probably a better option for me, as whoever I choose is likely to be a long term partner in helping me sort out an important area of my life (finances), and I'll need them to be accountable and responsive in the event of any problems which may occur.

If I'm paying them (rather than them being funded by a third party), I feel more confident that this is likely to be the case.

Next step is to call a couple of providers (free and paid-for)....

CM
Last edited by chairmanmiaow on Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skipper

Post by Skipper » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:28 pm
I have some experience with charity based DMPs.I actually went through a different route.

I contacted the National Debt line in Birmingham and they give me a I/E form to fill in and the categories were not the same as CCCS.They said I should make sure it is affordable. They then referred me to CCCS.CCCS then transferred my details on to their template and didn't change anything and went with it. I can't record the ££ details as I have shredded it.

It was stressed that if Creditors accept the DMP payment they will not trouble you.I was offering creditors 40-50% of my normal payment as DMP and they all had then accepted.

If I gave them less(30%) which I could have and kept more for I/E and they don't accept it the DMP then would have failed.It was really as simple as that.That's history now as I gone to an IVA

Last edited by Skipper on Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Always think outside the box"

johnz

Post by johnz » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:55 pm
Just to add my tuppence in here, I do not agree that Brightoaks charges are daylight robbery. In the weeks they have been representing me they have continiously given good value for money in service.

Yes, my debt has in effect increased by over 6 grand. But, in my opinion this company have been employed by me for the next 10 years to take over my financial problems, taking away the stress and worry that I would have if I were trying to deal with it myself. And they ARE working for me. Not my creditors.

To give a very silly example here, would you expect a cleaner to come into your home and clean it for free just because it was dirty. No. You would pay them a fair amount to cover their time and expenses. And they do have expenses. They make and take phone calls. A lot of time is spent sorting out and then handling your affairs.

Any debt management company that say they are doing it for free, are in fact not. They too have costs involved and someone is paying them. And if the creditors are paying them, then that company is working for your creditors and not you. So they will do as their employers ask, not you.

I'm sorry, but the daylight robbery comment did make me a little cross. After all, would you work for nothing? I didn't think so.

Johnz
Johnz

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:02 pm
Well said Johnz!

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is the present - a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Skipper

Post by Skipper » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:03 pm
Ironically,free DMP agencies are not free. We know CCC get 15% off CREDITORS of what the return every year. Their Annual report show their income is nearly all from private sources. So CCCs isn't free.But creditors pay them as they do IPs.

So there is really no free DMP service.

"Always think outside the box"

JulianSampson

Post by JulianSampson » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:43 pm
I think Johnz comments are spot on. This industry is bedevilled by hidden charges and false promises (or such I would argue is the perception) and it is somewhat refreshing to have a candid and open approach to fees and service levels as shown by Andrew. I am looking to place DMP's in the future and I second Melanie's recommendation.

Also bear in mind that when a provider charges a fee you have a clear contractual consideration to come back against in the event that their service does not fit the bill (excuse the pun). If you go fees-free what do you get- an apology perhaps?

Kind regards

Julian Sampson
Solicitor
Wright & Wright LLP
www.wrightandwright.com
See my article in Clean Slate magazine
Kind regards

Julian Sampson
Solicitor
Wright & Wright LLP
www.wrightandwright.com
See my article in Clean Slate magazine

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:17 pm
Hi
You right Julian,unlike an IVA you ARE actually paying the fees yourself and as such can demand a decent service level rather than the "I'm doing you a favour" attitude of many IVA companies
Regards

Andy Davie
IVA.co.uk Spokesperson

About me:
http://www.iva.co.uk/andy_davie_profile.asp

IVA Helpline: 0800 197 4838
http://www.iva.co.uk/iva_helpline.asp
Andam Davies

jamesfalla

Post by jamesfalla » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:42 pm
I fully agree with skipper's comment that free DMP agencies are not really free. Its just that you don't pay for their services directly. So who's side will they really be on?

James Falla

Expert in IVA, Bankruptcy and informal Debt Management solutions for over 10 years.

For more information visit www.jamesfalla.com and visit my blog at: http://jamesfalla.blogs.iva.co.uk
James Falla

Expert in IVA, Bankruptcy and informal Debt Management solutions for over 10 years.

For more information visit www.jamesfalla.com and visit my blog at: http://jamesfalla.blogs.iva.co.uk

Cybus

Post by Cybus » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:04 pm
I must immediately set this point straight, to avoid any further confusion.

I will clarify that I was NOT suggesting that Brightoak's charges are 'Daylight Robbery'. I was referring in this instance to the example Andrew had quoted. My placing of the phrase in mid message could have been more precise and should have made clear reference to the example.

I appreciate fully that have been very open, honest and frank about how those aspects of your business work. I would also thank you for being so, on this forum.

I would hope that your take on Debt Management is one that is adopted in the majority of firms providing such services. It seems not though looking at some of those examples that you have quoted, which do, to me anyway, seem to be taking the proverbial somewhat and I suspect will probably account for a high percentage of those that fall by the way side within two years.

As I said, I have very little experience of how debt management companies operate and how they are regulated. My questions were asked out of curiosity. I'm not in anyway having a go.

I asked the question originally 'Is it not going to come down to what the debtor has the ability to pay?'

From posts on this particular thread, it seems that that is not necessarily always the case. What I fail to understand is how those who set an expenditure limit can do so without apparently having any flexibility. Not everybody has a template life. If you are being asked to fit to a template lifestyle, then perhaps you should be considering alternative options.

In a choice between flexibility and rigidity, I think I know which I would choose.

I don't know if this is a question that Andrew can answer, but it is worth an ask, in case there is anyone else on here with the answer.

In negotiations with creditors, would I be correct to assume that you reach agreement to freeze interest and charges, to prevent further inflation of the debts? Prior to them receiving payment do creditors provide you with a figure that details the amounts owed to them?

As a rule, how long does that interest and charge free period last? Do they 'In principle' agree to do so for the duration of the proposed Debt Management Plan? Or is it subject to regular review by the creditor?

Basically I am wondering if the creditor would provide an identical figure to a fee charging Debt Management Company that they would to a Debt Management Company who the creditors themselves would actually be funding?

If a debtor uses a fee charging company, the fee is deducted prior to payment being made to the creditor. At the end of the DMP, the debtor is debt free, the DMP provider has been paid for the function provided and the creditor has received 100% of the monies owed to them. All of this is at the debtors expense and so as far as the creditor is concerned they're thinking everyone is a winner.

If a debtor uses a non fee paying company, the creditor gets 100% of the money owed to them, but then shells out X% to the non fee charging Debt Management provider as payment for their services (If my interpretation of earlier posts is correct)and so opposed to having 100% of the debt, they've now only got 100-X% of the debt. So can they and do they inflate the amount owed to them by way of levy for 'allowing' the debtor to repay the debt owed by Debt Management Plan in that instance?

I suppose it all comes down to how the lender wishes to portray figures in their balance sheets

Tell it like it is.
Tell it like it is.

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:16 pm
Hi Cybus
You are quite right in that under a "free" DMP the creditor would actually receive 10-15% less than under a fee paying DMP,something that I had not thought of !!
Maybe that is why expenditure is squeezed by Payplan and CCCS ??
Another plus side for a fee paying DMP

Andy Davie
IVA.co.uk Spokesperson

About me:

Andam Davies

catullus

Post by catullus » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:27 pm
I don't think that's right Andy.

In either case the creditors get back 100% if the plan runs it's course. In a fee paying DMP, the debtor will have to pay the fees on top,in order to ensure that creditors are paid in full.

I think Cybus is asking do the creditors allow the debtor to pay off exactly the same amount in either type of plan, and the theoretical answer to that question is yes.

The issue is whether the non fee charging companies are more succesful in getting interest and charges stopped. I don't know the answer to that question but I have dealt with a good number of people coming out of DMP's with CCCS or PP, where creditors have either refused to suspend interest and charges or have started charging again, so anecdotally, it doesn't seem to me that these companies get any special treatment from creditors

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:36 pm
Hi
Not sure if i agree with you on that one
In a "free" DMP Jo Public will pay the full amount,for example 40k,the banks will pay CCCS or Payplan a percentage,say 10%,so effectively the creditors will "net" a lesser figure,36k
In a "fee" paying DMP Joe Public will pay the total debt plus 15%[46k] so creditors will get 100%
So to clarify
"free"DMP creditors get 85-90%
"fee" paying DMP creditors get 100%
Regards
Regards

Andy Davie
IVA.co.uk Spokesperson

About me:

Andam Davies

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:37 pm
And I agree with that. I have a number of cases where people have received very bad advice from debt mangagement companies, and ended up owing more than they did when they started.

But there are good companies out there who will fight tooth and nail for their clients if DMP is the right solution, and I do feel that this industry will clean itself up over the next couple of years - or die a death with the advent of SIVAs and DROs.

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.

To have me propose an IVA for you, please visit:
http://www.melaniegiles.com/ivaEnquiry.asp

See customer feedback at:
http://www.iva.com/iva_companies/IVA_Advice_Bureau.asp
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

catullus

Post by catullus » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:46 pm
Now I'm with you!

But I don't think that the banks funding of CCCS/PP is quite that straightforward ie they send a bill to the creditors based on a % of recoveries for each DMP.

I believe that it's done globally and annually, and certainly is linked to recoveries,but the lenders dress up the payments as charitable donations (tax deductable KERCHING!) taking in to account the operating expenses that CCCS/PP need to keep going.

So in the debt recovery arms of the banks (who won't bear that central cost) they're not thinking about the cost of funding these organisations and so they'll simply perceive CCCS and PP to be free services.
Last edited by catullus on Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
44 posts Page 2 of 3
Return to “postings for february”