Do I have to answer telephone calls

11 posts Page 1 of 1

louiseh

Post by louiseh » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:26 pm
If I've informed all my creditors in writing that I am experiencing financial difficulties and informed them for a second time including a token payment do I need to amnswer phone calls? Can I let them go to answer machine or change my number or would this be seen as being obstructive and do me more harm than good.

Storm

Post by Storm » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:46 pm
You don't have to answer an calls you don't want to.... changing your number only provides short term respite. Creditors use a couple of number change databases every month to update there records with your new number (even if you are ex-directory !)

If creditors have employment telephone numbers they will normally start to ring them which can be embarrasing and harder to deal with.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:50 pm
You are not legally obliged to answer telephone calls from your creditors, but it would seem the most polite thing to do - especially if you are going to ask them to help you at some stage in the future. Most callers are simply looking for an update of your circumstances, although one or two may be more persistent.

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.

For further details contact me at http://www.melaniegiles.com and view my IVA blog at: http://melaniegiles.blogs.iva.co.uk
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

go_4_broke

Post by go_4_broke » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:44 pm
No, I don't think it would be seen as obstructive.

I think it's unlikely to be seen as anything in particular. Ringing you up is just a routine box ticking operation and they will do it regardless.

I think Melanie might be being a bit optimistic. Polite it may be, but if they get hold of you, some at least of your creditors are unlikely to be happy with a nice chat.

I would certainly consider changing your phone number. Despite what storm says I can't see how your creditors can have any legal way of getting an ex-directory number.

-Best

'5 years sticking my head into the Lion's mouth of debt !'
Please view my blog at www.go4broke.blogs.iva.co.uk

'Vive la differentness'

neverending

Post by neverending » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:11 pm
I would answer the calls as they may contact you at work.
Just be firm but polite,you are just an account number to them at this stage so do not take it personnally.They are looking after their interests and you must look after yours.
Regards
Andy Davie

louiseh

Post by louiseh » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:15 pm
Thanks for your replies. I don't want to answer phone calls, not because I think i'll be bullied and harrassed into making payments but because if they do try to bully and harrass me I'll probably end up telling them where they can shove the debt. I'm usually calm and relaxed until backed into a corner and I may end up like I say "doing more harm than good". I'm not worried about phone calls at work as i've only been in my present job 6 weeks and I don't know my phone number.

Storm

Post by Storm » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:33 pm
Go_4_Broke - You would be supprised at the amount of information that creditors and debt collectors can obtain legally.

British Telecom deliver a number of tracing services to creditor companies and particularly deby collectors. The Inland Revenue now use these services in tracing go aways.

stella

Post by stella » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:15 pm
That's interesting Storm, what sort of other things can creditors and debt collectors find out legally then?

go_4_broke

Post by go_4_broke » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:34 pm
Hi Storm,

I'd agree with you that the HMRCE probably do have access to this type of infomation, as they have far more far reaching powers 'across the board'.

But I can't see this extends to the average numpty debt collection agency pursuing someone for a credit card debt, at least not without some sort of Court order.

However this is exactly the sort of thing the collection agencies WANT people to think, so I'd agree with Stella above and say it would be useful to get a definitive answer.

Louise, I still don't think you need worry, even if you were to tell them that!

It's a perfectly legitimate response to harassement.

If you were to go for say, an IVA, the department that did the voting would be separate from the department that dod the hassling and the two probably never even speak to each other. Any decision would be taken taken purely on a monetary/policy basis.

Storm is right to say you want to avoid being hassled at work, although there are things you can do about that as well. However it doesn't sound like this will be a problem for you.

I'm a great believer in any debt situation of making sure you get your creditors where you want them.

-Best

Last edited by go_4_broke on Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

'Vive la differentness'

kezza

Post by kezza » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:13 pm
I think they do talk to each other, they just don't care!

I had the routine calls hassling for payments and when I proceeded to explain my situation again, they said "yes it is down here what you are doing" and they told me which IP I was using and then said "we need a payment NOW"
THE ONLY WAY IS UP :-)

go_4_broke

Post by go_4_broke » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:12 pm
kezza - [88][88]

Now why does that not surprise me!

'Vive la differentness'
11 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “IVA postbag for march”