DO NOT UPSET YOUR CREDITORS

42 posts Page 3 of 3

Lisa2009

Post by Lisa2009 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:13 pm
I was brought up to "speak as you find"
If someone shows you courtessy and respect, you WILL show it back. If not then you are under no obligation"

Granted, the creditors borrow money to people every minute of every day. It's not their personal cash so what gives them the right to make you feel any more ashamed than you already do with their aggressive attitudes?

mrs skint
http://mrsskint.blogs.iva.co.uk/ 'Our Story'

Nil carborundum illegitimi

Lisa2009

Post by Lisa2009 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:21 pm
Maybe we need a thread called "DONT UPSET THE DEBTER"

Martin2011

Post by Martin2011 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:29 pm
Good point about bad debt provision size 5, although I don'yt hink it relates specifically to 'real risk'. The FSA expects banks to hold bad debt provision, which in theory are supposed to relate to their assessed exposure to risk. In reality, the debt reserves are a strong market signal and are often very conservative in order to create an impression security and confidence... Have observed on more than one occasion banks raising there bdp following criticism from the fsa and then seeing a drop in share value as confidence is affected.

Whatever the situ, as I think everyone's agreed, there's no excuse for rudeness or harrassment. It's a shame the regulator doesn't pay more attention to % based recovery agents as they aren't trying to do anyone but themselves a favour.... Love the idea of leaving them hanging while you watch Corrie, might try that with the next sales call I get!!!

Martin

OPTIMIST12

Post by OPTIMIST12 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:04 pm
jpj -

Of course creditors will take the path that gives them the maximum possible return, - who wouldn't??? If you or I leant someone some money and they turned round and said - Sorry - I am only going to pay you back 25% of the sum owed then I am sure that you and I would be very grumpy!!!

My view is that I owe people money - and I want to repay the maximum that I can. I am frankly ashamed that I am not able to stick to my side of the contracts that I originally signed (Credit Cards etc) - but as IVAs are there I will take the option and I will do whatever I can to stick to my IVA committment.

I can understand if my Creditors - or their reps - give me a hard time - after all they are doing me a mega favour by agreeing to my IVA. I am going to try my damndest to stick to my IVA and if my creditors want to give me grief then I wont complain. I will understand that - and I am just grateful that people are literally letting me off thousands of pounds of debt.

Sorry if my post is unpopular but I think that our (my) creditors do us a fantastic favour by accepting our proposals and I will be forever grateful to them.
47 months completed - 13 months to go.

OPTIMIST12

Post by OPTIMIST12 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:20 pm
Sorry - my last post sounds really disjointed!!!

i just want to say that we should be grateful to our creditors who write off mega-bucks of debt. If they give us a hard time whilst so doing then I do not think we should really complain.

Thank You.

Martin2011

Post by Martin2011 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:23 pm
Your post's fine Optimist, I feel the same way about my debt and my IVA. But having accepted my mistakes and doing everything I can to pay back as much as possible, all of it if I can, I don't expect that I, or anyone else repaying creditors through an IVA should be treated disrespectively. What we're all trying to do is our best in a dificult situation and in many ways that's a lot better than many people who might not be bothered at all!

Decency and respect are free, so it wouldn't cost our creditors anything to offer it, but might make the experience for many people endlessly more bearable.

Best wishes

Martin

Lisa2009

Post by Lisa2009 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:26 pm
I do agree with you, all of the people who have been down the IVA route should be very greatful. I know we are but theres no excuse for rudeness. The point i was trying to make is that these people get rude and aggressive as if it was their ownpersonal money but it isnt and these companies obviously have provisions for bad debt situations. Yes we should be greatful, yes we should be as polite as we can be BUT theres a limit to how much should be acceptable before it borders on harasment and intimidation.

mrs skint

OPTIMIST12

Post by OPTIMIST12 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:39 pm
Hi Martin and Mrs. Skint -

You both make excellent points.

For me - I just found that - after a while - the repeated calls from creditors just sort of washed over me. I just repeated the same thing time and time again!!!

But I would never criticise creditors for the calls - you cant blame them for chasing someone who has signed a credit agreement and has then failed to stick to it. It is up to them how they deal with such cases.

jpj

Post by jpj » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:52 pm
Well i got an E mail from Egg card today saying my new credit card had just been sent out to me! (im 18 months into an IVA and Egg were a creditor of mine) I went online to view my statement to find a debt showing of £6,880 and a credit limit of £6,900. no payments had been made for 18 months yet still they dished a card out with only £20 left to its limit! When companies do tricks like that, are we really to be so very grateful when they agree to write some of our debt off in an IVA!??

OPTIMIST12

Post by OPTIMIST12 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:13 pm
Hi jpj -

I dont think Egg were really doing a trick. Like you said - quite rightly in a previous post - we are basically just one of thousands and thousands of clients with C/C companies and I expect the whole thing was just an automated process that someone had failed to update.

I would just cut it up and return the card.

And of course although we are in an IVA we still owe the Creditors the cash.

All the best to you.

northumbrian69

Post by northumbrian69 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:27 am
I have been in an IVA for 9 months and I still get a monthly e'mail from Egg advising me my statement has arrived, I also received a new credit card with 'zero' balance, as Optimist rightly says, 'automated systems', it's a shame these companies couldn't automate their phone calls the same way, that way we would get consistently 'pleasant' calls demanding payments and all the really unpleasant, nasty, threatening call centre collection agents would be made redundant, 'what a shame'
I'm not bitter really [:(!][:(!][:(!]
IVA COMPLETED ON THE 17th MARCH, FINAL I&E COMPLETED 26th APRIL, COMPLETION CERTIFICATE ARRIVED 2nd AUGUST

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:34 pm
I agree with Mrs Skint. I was bought up to be polite to people, but respect has to be earned. If someone is rude and abusive to me I won't sink to their level, but I don't have to listen to it either. The person on the phone is no better than me, so I will NOT let them talk to me as if they are. Before I went into my IVA I co-operated fully with Egg, Natwest and Barclays - they were civil and spoke to me like a human being. I refused to deal with MBNA as they treated me like dirt.

I don't care what anyone says, co-operation and respect are a two way issue.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is the present - a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/
42 posts Page 3 of 3
Return to “the hot hot IVA topics in 2007, 20 replies plus”