do not want to be unemployable because of iva

7 posts Page 1 of 1

sarah.q

Post by sarah.q » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:12 pm
I am considring an iva but i read in a banks leaflet that if you have one it may effect your empolyment status ? I do not want to be unemployable because of this

beresford

Post by beresford » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:53 pm
Hi sarah.q

Before my IVA was accepted i was very worried about my job status (I work for a firm of independant financial advisers) but i was ok. I read through the terms and conditions of employment and it did not mention anything about employees who enter into an iva or are declared insolvent. As fas as i am aware an iva, unlike bankruptcy, is a private arrangement via u and ur creditors therefore ur employers should not need to know so ur job should be safe.

However, u should check ur terms and conditions of employement as i have read through this site that certain jobs in the public sector are affected by people with iva.

Hope this helps
Last payment made on 1st Nov 2011. Happy to be debt free!

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:09 pm
AN IVA on its own will not preclude emplyment in the public sector dependong on the secuirty level of the job credit checks are carried out.

Basic clearance I don' think credit checks are carried out

Security Clearance and Counter Terrorism Clearance (Both of which I Have BTW) do involve a credit check.

Developed Vetting yes an IVA might be an issue here, this is highest public sector clearance level and involves investigation of your private life to the highest degree and your finances.

Bankruptcy does preclude you from most public sector jobs, but if you go bankrupt while in a job chances are it will not affect you, you will be moved away from anything involving money though.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:54 am
Having an IVA will not affect you getting DV clearance, however you clearly need to disclose it and be up to date with your payments. These days, there are very few professions which would be effected by an IVA, but do check with your personnel department and contract of employment.

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.
View my IVA blog at: http://melaniegiles.blogs.iva.co.uk
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:57 am
I have often wandered if SC and CTC together combine to make up DV the two together do cover the areas covered by DV, my family got interviewed for my CTC and my bank was queried.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:03 pm
I don't think so I used to be in the Army and was DV'd for the job I was doing, but the majority of soldiers just had an SC and CTC which so far as I am aware is done upon enlistment and not renewed.

The DV was renewed every five years, and involved a detailed interview of myself and my referees. So far as I am aware the CTC is only used for persons with Irish or Northern Irish backgrounds (as far back as grandparents) but I could be wrong.

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.
View my IVA blog at: http://melaniegiles.blogs.iva.co.uk
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:38 pm
CTC is used for anyone working in or who has worked in counter terrorism or associated activities, or it was when I was working in that field.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “IVA postbag for january”