do you find yourself looking at how people pay

22 posts Page 1 of 2

bagpuss

Post by bagpuss » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:45 pm
I find myself looking at how people pay at the tills....if its cash, C/C debit cards etc...i know not everyone who uses a credit card is in debt...i know that many people do sensible borrowing. But i cant help wondering if they are like i was...using the card cos they have no cash...using the card and hopeing it doesnt decline....using the card but promising yourself you will pay a bit extra next month....and trying to remember which credit card has some left on it.

I felt a sense of losing my security when i stopped using credit cards....like i had nothing to fall back on. Still do sometimes...but i am very lucky as we have great parents who we now ask for help with the odd £20 here and there when we are struggling (always repaid)

I often wonder if like us they are worried and scared and dont know who to turn too....dont know that there is something you can do...but how do we spread the word...? so many people i speak to have never heard of an IVA.

Angie xx

My IVA Story......http://bagpuss.blogs.iva.co.uk/2007/09/ ... iva-story/
Last edited by bagpuss on Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scaredkez

Post by scaredkez » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:55 pm
angie, i find myself doing it all the time, didn't realise until recently i was watching what the shopping came to and then deciding how they would pay and think ouch that is going to hurt, Credit Card are you paying it off in full? i know one of the girls i work with, uses hers for shopping and petrol and pays it in full every month so they can receive air miles/ holiday vouchers and they do really well out of it, as they stick by it, only wish i could have used it to my advantage!!

i did at first feel like i had lost something not being able to go in the shop regardless if i could afford it, it hurts more now having to tell the kids no, but that is my fault, as they thought they could get anything they wanted, and now i have to learn to say no, even bigger NO!!
its now trying to teach them that no means no, and you can't have it, even just to shut them up, which is a good thing, because before i was giving into them too lightly, of course we want to buy them everything but we arent' teaching them anything by giving into them all the time so we are all in a learning curve in this household
kerri

Please view my blog at: http://scaredkez.blogs.iva.co.uk/
Please view my blog at: http://scaredkez.blogs.iva.co.uk/

R1chard

Post by R1chard » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:32 am
luckily my parents do the same for me. the odd £20 till payday or mother dearest will pop round with a bag or two full of food for me! bless her! - i think she prefers doing that then me coming round after work wanting her to cook!!

edit - took my son to watch ratatoiulle last wed.. bearing in mind hes four.

he said "daddy can i have some popcorn.. or cant we afford it?" - it made me feel sick.. but then it felt good, hes four and is starting to think of money.

i said yeah sure have what you want...

he said

"i dont want a drink daddy they are expensive here.. just popcorn please" (we go cinema alot and i usually take a fruit shoot rather then paying 5 pound for a coke)

lol - hes already better with money then i am.

58 PAYMENTS TO GO..
Last edited by R1chard on Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
lots of payments to go.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:35 am
I do the same. I was in Nationwide the other day and the woman at the next counter had the purple cashcard and I was looking wondering if she was bankrupt!

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is the present - a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

louisa.s

Post by louisa.s » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:04 pm
I always see the people wandering around the town and wonder to myself did they pay for all their purchases with hard earned budgeted cash or is it all on cards?!

If it wasn't for my parents I think we would have been up the creek along time ago. Although when my mum clears out her freezer for us we do get some dubious things!!! It generally takes me about 3 months just to work out what food it is!!!

mish1953

Post by mish1953 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:19 pm
Arrrghhhh ... I was in Tesco's last night , the lassie in front of me in the queue, bought, 20 ciggies, a sandwich and a lottery ticket ... yep it was a credit card payment ... ffs .. shes going to smoke the fags , eat the sandwich ... I hope she wins a tenner on the lottery 'cos she has nothing else to show for it and is paying interest on the stuff ...

Just remember ... youre not that daft anymore !

Slainte
Mish
[:D]
Last edited by mish1953 on Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Early Discharge is not an illness !

cr15py

Post by cr15py » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:30 pm
I always find myself looking at how people pay as well. I do find, however, that a lot of people pay by debit card - there aren't that many that appear to pay by credit card from what I see. Or maybe, they go shopping at a different time to me!!
Chris
Visit my blog at http://cr15py.blogs.iva.co.uk
16 down, 44 to go!!

tracy.h

Post by tracy.h » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:29 pm
I go Tesco's as you can see the till adding up as they put your goods through,not a lot of stores display this,at least if it goes over i can stop it.

Tracy

kandh

Post by kandh » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:45 pm
I shop at Tesco's regularly but it wasn't until recently that I actually realised their tills did this! Must go round with my eyes shut half the time.

I think more supermarkets/shops should do this. When I finally clicked on, it made me actually realise exactly how my shopping bill mounted up and yes I have put a couple of things back when it gets to the end of my shopping. It made me think what I was spending my money on and the fact that maybe I could do without it for now.

It is certainly a lot less stressful than having to ask them part way through scanning to do a total to see if you can afford the rest of the shopping.

OPTIMIST12

Post by OPTIMIST12 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:48 pm
The Self-Service tills at Tesco are great for this. They give you a running total AND you scan things at your own pace so you soon realise if you are going to have to put something back!!!!
47 months completed - 13 months to go.

spenmotherhen

Post by spenmotherhen » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:40 pm
A friend of mine has just started work at Toys R US on the tills, she was gob smacked by the amount of money people were putting on their credit cards.

She had one person paying £372!!!

So glad to be out of that temptation!!

louisa.s

Post by louisa.s » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:28 pm
And what does that teach the children!!!!

Maybe (at 30!) I'm old fashioned in my thinking if children are brought lots of presents then they will just keep expecting more and doesn't teach anything except consumarision!

As for Tesco's we wander round with a calculator to make sure we are not spending anymore of our budget than we have to, I've also started to make sure that if it is not on the list then we don't buy it. We've got a new debit card account with halifax to use for our food but we can't decide on whether to continue taking out the cash and using that or just using the debit card to take out exactly what the cost of the shopping is? £50 cash v. amount on debit card....

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:03 pm
Hi
Cash is king
I am out of an IVA and still take cash with me to Tesco and STILL occasionally put items back at the checkout.I always put the non esential items[Wine,clothes] on at the end and have no problem in asking the operator to sub total near the end,I just tell them that i'm on a bit of a budget and they respect that.
Regards

Andy Davie
IVA.co.uk Spokesperson

About me:
http://www.iva.co.uk/andy_davie_profile.asp

IVA Helpline: 0800 197 4838
http://www.iva.co.uk/iva_helpline.asp
Andam Davies

cr15py

Post by cr15py » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:03 pm
The self-service tills are great, but....... the flaming things don't seem to work for me - either I can't scan it, or I put it in the bag and it doesn't like it - I have given up on them!!
Chris
Visit my blog at http://cr15py.blogs.iva.co.uk
16 down, 44 to go!!

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:07 pm
I hate those stupid self service tills - they take twice as long and I'm sure they're just a cost cutting ploy by the supermarkets as they don't have to pay so many staff! Cynical? Moi?!?

I have been dragged kicking and screaming back into Tesco as they do some things that Sainsbury's don't - Krispy Kreme doughnuts for a little treat for example! I have also found that Tesco's fresh bread freezes much better than Sainsburys so I get packs of rolls to keep in the freezer.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is the present - a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/
Last edited by Skippy on Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
22 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “IVA expenditure allowances”