do you smoke?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
75 posts Page 3 of 5

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:23 pm
Absolutely spot on Davram - and I am just sad that you are forced to having to do this - for the sake of £10 which is not going to improve your dividend that much at all!
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

freelili

Post by freelili » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:30 pm
No worries, I am not in the slightest bit thinking that anyone on this thread is judging anyone else. I just feel that sometimes creditors need to realise that we are human with human failings, and we are going to need life insurance (a must) and some life perks, I am not saying that smokers should be allowed extravagant amounts like the one mentioned. If the IVA is intollerable then it would fail. If someone said to me, stop smoking now, you debtor you, you dare to smoke when you owe us money I would tell them where to go, to be honest. I dont think creditors lose that much, apart from profit and the interest they have been grabbing quite happily over the years. I feel they would pick our bones clean if they could sell our flesh, well may be not mine as its been smoked. Our loved ones shouldnt be denied the right to insurance. They allowed me my 40 ciggies per week, I was happy with that. I cant see why they should deny anyone life insurance. I know its individual but it should also be fair. Many people do not realise that they can challenge some decisions, at such a desperate time many just want and end to the stress and will agree to anything.
LILY

http://freelili.blogs.iva.co.uk

I asked God for an answer, I have to live with his reply.
Exsisto an angelus quod planto quispiam sentio melior.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:37 pm
I don't care whether people smoke or not - each to their own. The only times I used to object were before the smoking ban when I was eating in a restaurant and the inconsiderate people on the next table would light up. What gave them the right to ruin my meal? It's so much better now smoking is banned in restaurants, although I'm sure a lot of people disagree with me!

BTW this isn't directed at anyone on here (as I said each to their own), unless you were the ones at the next table ruining my curry!

freelili

Post by freelili » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:09 pm
It wasnt me as I live in Solihull. I am sorry if my post came across as angry. I wasnt and I hope that youre not. There is much more to me than having a few drags during the day. Some people do judge, someone had a right go at me once for smoking, said I was disgusting and should be ashamed.

I welcome the public smoking ban, I can take my children and grandbaby to restaurants now. I am more than happy both and home and in public places to take myself out of the way.
LILY

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:15 pm
I don't think your post came across as angry, and I'm certainly not! I would never dream of telling anyone not to smoke unless they were in my house or car.

As I said it's each to their own. It's the person inside who counts, whether they smoke, are overweight, don't conform to what's considered normal etc.

Jude

Post by Jude » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:37 pm
Hold on I smoke....only tobacco bought on the black market admittedly and it costs me £5 a week but nobody asked if I did or didn't when my IVA was set up....you must be with more understanding people than me but I do agree that being forced to give up smoking..especially when times like these are so stressful is easier said than done and I understand how non smokers find it hard to justify such a luxury but each to their own. Life would be completely unbearable if we were stripped of everything that keeps us sane.

Maz

Post by Maz » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:21 pm
I'm glad I found this posting I can relate to this! I smoke and I hate myself for it. I am desperately trying to quit. It's not easy to end the habit and I do sympathize with anyone who is addicted. I also have an IVA expenditure allowance for it. But smoking is damaging to ones health and appearance; hey here am I preaching as a smoker. I only smoke at home on my own as nobody knows I do - it's strange like being a secret alcoholic really. And its a packet of 10 a day. I just find it a great stress reliever at the end of the working day. BUT i am determined it's got to stop! Finanically and health wise it's no good. My GP who I saw last week said he could prescribe a drug that could help with quiting but I am going to try with my own will power first to see if that can be done.

angelrainbow

Post by angelrainbow » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:30 pm
I can't remember who said on this thread that an IVA needs to be realistic and manageable in order for it not to fail..but I agree totally. I don't smoke, never have and never will..but I have had the odd fish supper from the chippy and some Tesco Value white beer in front of the telly on the odd Friday night.
We all have our pleasures in life and to deny ourselves totally for 5 years is just asking for trouble.
Completion Certificate received September 2012.

freelili

Post by freelili » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:19 pm
Good luck with it all Maz, sometimes I have stopped completely, for years. Ten would last me almost a week, so I dont worry too much about the health side, although if I was told it was seriously a no no, I would stop. I find it just chills me out when I need it and I need it.
LILY

lulu27

Post by lulu27 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:27 am
We are 2 and a half years into our IVA. Up until February we were heavy smokers and we were never asked by our company if we smoked so we had no allowance for it. We used to buy fags instead of food and clothes. We bought no new clothes from when we started our IVA until we gave up smoking. We used to go to Tescos spend £20 on Food and £50 on fags.

We gave up by using Champix it is the best thing we ever did and it was so easy. I would reccommend it for anyone who wants to give up.

Now we can afford to buy clothes and go out occasionally which is something we could never do when we smoked. I also think smoking was some of the reason we got in debt in the first place. We used to buy all our fags on credit cards.

Now we enjoy the money we have.

LoneRanger

Post by LoneRanger » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:31 am
Giving up smoking was the best thing i ever did. Ok im only a few months in but i feel better for it and the money saving is scary! I used to smoke 20-30 a day and even more if i went out of a night.

Its a big acheivement to give up!
Last edited by LoneRanger on Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve.

IVA approved!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:15 pm
It's been about 12 years since I gave up, and 23 for hubby. I really hate the smell of cigarettes now, and anyone coming to the house who smokes has to go outside. There's no smoking in the car either.

I love the non smoking ban as well, as there is nothing worse than trying to eat with smoke drifting across. It was no good setting up a non smoking area either, as smoke doesn't stop when it comes to the border!!!!!!!!!!
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Lisa2009

Post by Lisa2009 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:30 pm
I am a smoker, we both are BUT i welcomed the smoking ban. I didnt smoke at the table if we were eating out and i also hated it if people near us lit up while we were eating.
http://mrsskint.blogs.iva.co.uk/ 'Our Story'

Nil carborundum illegitimi

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:59 pm
I remember offering a girl I used to work with a lift. She got in the car with a lit cigarette so I made her get out until she'd finished it - she didn't half moan! My answer was if she wanted a lift she didn't smoke in my car - she could always walk if she really wanted to smoke! That didn't go down too well either!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:51 pm
Too right Skip!

My daughters boyfriend smokes, she doesn't, and he is not allowed to smoke in the car.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk
75 posts Page 3 of 5
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”