don't think i could do this without all the help.

16 posts Page 1 of 2

janot

Post by janot » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:39 pm
could someone please answer this for me?

i have received a letter saying that Amex has passed my debt over to a collector, who have added another £500 to the debt. i have been making token payments with letters to explain the situation, so who do i pay now? this company are advising that they have passed my details to a solicitor who are going to file for bankruptcy, Can they do this?

also a couple of other companies are asking for lists of my outgoings and incomings is it ok to send this? they are also asking for lists of other people i owe money to, again can i tell them this?

again thanks for all your help.

janot
janot

sonyse2t5

Post by sonyse2t5 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:09 pm
Hello,
Amex are an aggressive creditor. There are others who have posted on their Amex experiences here. If you do a search on the forum -type in Amex - you can see what the others did to deal with this.

Even though you have made token payments to AMEX they are not 'officially' accepted as a DMP plan by Amex.So they are taking further action.
For all your creditors I think you should ASAP get in touch with CCCS - a DMP company to arrange an acceptable payment plan to your creditors.They will probably accept and freeze interest. CCC can give you a breather from all those phone calls you be getting.

Once lenders hear you are dealing with CCC they will take a more relaxed approach.CCC will help you for FREE and prepare the income and expenditure for your creditors.

As for AMEX's action, they must know you have assets like a house as no lenders will petition the debtor for BR unless they feel they can get more from you tha otherwise. Do you have a house?

Some creditors can go for a forthwith Judgement that secures a Charging order on your property without the need of a CCJ before hand.The order might force you to remortages or sell of the house.

You will need some legal advice on how to fight the petition

janot

Post by janot » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:20 pm
We do have a house that we are selling, however we owe more in secured finance than its worth we also have unsecured depts. i don't want to go B/R as i will loose my job if i even get a ccj.

janot
janot

sonyse2t5

Post by sonyse2t5 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:32 pm
Please post all your non secure and secure debts here so that others can also help.
Last edited by sonyse2t5 on Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

janot

Post by janot » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:35 pm
who are CCC?

janot
janot

sonyse2t5

Post by sonyse2t5 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:40 pm
Consumer credit counselling service. They negotiate on your behalf and pay creditors on your behalf every month till your debt is paid off.Banks love them.

http://www.cccs.co.uk/

No more letters, or threats from other creditor s and interest frozen.Not sure if they can deal with Amex though

janot

Post by janot » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:17 pm
Thanks,

all my info has already been posted. go have a look with pleasure, not pretty reading though and i am totally ashamed. can't believe it got so bad.

again thanks for your advise going to go on cccs.co.uk now.

janot
janot

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:19 pm
AMEX are actually a very commercial creditor, and sometimes we ought to put ourselves in the shoes of the lenders when critisising their policies.

If I were owed money by someone, and I knew that they has a house with equity in it, I would probably want to put myself ahead of the game by securing with a charging order. That makes good commercial sense for the lender concerned, who is running a business at the end of the day. AMEX make no secret of this policy, which is widely known within the insolvency profession, and we therefore have to work with this always in mind when AMEX are a significant creditor. I have to say that in my experience it is quite unusual to see them with more than 25% of the vote in IVA cases, as their collection policy is rather good as well, and they do not tend to allow high amounts of credit.

On the other hand, where there is no property involved, ANEX are very supportive of voluntary arrangements, and do not operate any form of minimum dividend hurdle rates, which are common with other lenders.

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.

To have me propose an IVA for you, please visit:
http://www.melaniegiles.com/ivaEnquiry.asp

See customer feedback at:
http://www.iva.com/iva_companies/IVA_Advice_Bureau.asp
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:43 pm
Hi
That's you on their Xmas card list Melanie.

I have to say that I found Amex a pain and the only creditor to vote against my IVA [with no property involved],having said that I respect that Melanie deals with them every day and is in the "know"
Janot,
Yes they can,where are you with your IVA proposal ?

Andy Davie
IVA.co.uk Spokesperson

About me:
http://www.iva.co.uk/andy_davie_profile.asp

IVA Helpline: 0800 197 4838
http://www.iva.co.uk/iva_helpline.asp
Andam Davies

hara

Post by hara » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:10 pm
Dear all,

American express are one of the very unsympathetic creditors and do not have any consideration for human value in treating their barrowers.

Sloicitors acting for them Brachers are not going to wait either.They will expressly obtain a court claim and a ccj very swiftly I must say.

Basically they do not care what happens to you>

American Express was quite happy to offer me a gold card of course at nominal yearly ee of 140 pounds I think.

Ofcourse they are very keen to lend when times are good and take money of you.

Hara.

hara

Post by hara » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:19 pm
Dear all,

Despite what they have put me through,I would act professionally and would try and save them if any of the employees of american express or brachers have a heart attack in my presence.

My professional teaching has taught put a human life before any thing else.

My professional attention would be extended even to my enemies.

Hara

hara

Post by hara » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:42 pm
Dear Mrs. Giles,

Every one is a commercial creditor in a sense.

It does not mean that a suffocating environment has to be created by one paricular creditor when other creditors are giving a fair chance to a debtor despite their persistant phone calls.

mike.s

Post by mike.s » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:26 pm
Hi,
Sorry to hi-jack this post with my own problems but I'm a little concerned with the American Express comments. I can understand what Melanie is saying, I owe money and obviously those I owe it to want it back, who wouldn't? What I'm concerned about is I have just sold my house, contracts not exchanged yet, and one of my creditors is American Express, a big portion in fact. I have to say though that one minute is was an MBNA card and the next I received a letter asking if I would like to change over to a points card, as it meant £20's worth of vouchers just for accepting I thought why not. I then received an American Express card, although I didn't ask for an American Express card and can't understand why it was changed to an American Express card although it does still say MBNA on the top. Is this an Amex? and could they put a charging order on my house, stopping the sale going through? Very confused, I know this will all be answered by Melanie's team, just sitting here worried now.
Cheers
Mike

hara

Post by hara » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:35 pm
Dear mike.s,

I presume Brachers moving on behalf of american express have I presume an agenda to obtain a charging order at a quick pace.

Fortuately for me IVA came through before they did that though not in time to prevent a ccj.

American express remind me of Shylock.

Hara.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:50 pm
If you are selling your house, and the sale proceeds are going to be used to make an offer to your creditors, it is unlikely that AMEX will get a charging order in time to have any effect. I will look at this for you in the office tomorrow, and perhaps we can have a chat over the phone.

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.

To have me propose an IVA for you, please visit:
http://www.melaniegiles.com/ivaEnquiry.asp

See customer feedback at:
http://www.iva.com/iva_companies/IVA_Advice_Bureau.asp
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner
16 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “postbag for october”