Economy Seven

36 posts Page 1 of 3

angelrainbow

Post by angelrainbow » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:31 pm
It is worth checking the times that your electricity supplier runs the cheaper Economy seven rate.
We checked online (we are with Scottish Power) and have now set the washing machine/dryer/dishwasher/immersion heater to come on during the seven hours of half rate electricity through the night. We are confident we will be able to enjoy significant savings on our leccy bill now.

The times are GMT for us so you will have to adjust various timer switches accordingly if yours is the same.

We now also have energy efficient light bulbs throughout the house and already we are drawing less power than we were the week before (hubby checked with his multi meter - he is an electrician) - just by making that simple switch (no pun intended)
Completion Certificate received September 2012.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:45 pm
I wish we could, but unfortunately our house is too small and I couldn't escape the noise of the washing machine! Excellent for those who can though.

With regard to low energy light bulbs, we have very few standard bulbs in our house so I'd only need a couple. However, they always used to be dimmer than normal bulbs and take a while to 'warm up' - are they still the same?

carole2662

Post by carole2662 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:17 pm
Hubby put energy saving light bulbs through the house and I have changed them back as I find the light from the energy saving bulbs very depressing.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:44 pm
That's the problem I had Carole. They used to be awful to read by as well but I was hoping they'd improved.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:55 pm
Have to say that I have never found Economy 7 to be cheap and as hubby is at home all day, we have an electric cooker and I only wash at weekends it wouldn't do for me.

I actually like the energy saving bulbs once they have warmed up and we are in the process of replacing all our old ones with them now.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

louiseh

Post by louiseh » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:25 pm
We've been doing this for years, washing machine, dishwasher, slow cooker, bread maker and now the dehumidifier (damp problem) all go on at night, makes quite a saving.

angelrainbow

Post by angelrainbow » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:26 pm
Economy seven for us is half the price, so very easy to make savings when the dishwasher is on daily and the washer and dryer 3-4 times. We do have a big rambling old home with utility room so it is ideal for us. I like the energy saving bulbs, they do take a while to warm up, but give out good light. I actually think they provide ad good as if not better lighting for us.
Completion Certificate received September 2012.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:38 pm
Our electricity is quite cheap considering I am on a normal tariff and I am always in credit.

I've got to start looking at replacing the spotlights with low energy LED ones but they're still a tad pricey.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:47 pm
In that case I'll be using the old bulbs for as long as I can - when I switch them on I want instant light, I can't be doing with waiting for them to warm up!

leaKybrain

Post by leaKybrain » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:14 pm
Every single one of our lights is energy save and we reduced the overall wattage to less than a quarter of what we were using. yes they take a short while to warm up but I think the cost outways the waiting.
We did have econ 7 in our old hosue before we changed suppliers. I don't actually like switching things on at night now cos of a horror story a fireman told us....paranoid me !!!!!

We do need to look at our supplier though cos EDF have just put the costs up and I am not happy about it.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:18 pm
Give Atlantic Gas and Electricity a call - I rate them.

You could also try USwitch.
Bob Marley.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:28 pm
We'll look at Atlantic when our fixed rate with British Gas finishes.

As well as waiting for light (not acceptable regardless of cost!) the other issues with energy saving lightbulbs worry me as well.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:34 pm
I know that you can't recycle them as you can normal bulbs but I'm not aware of anything else.
Bob Marley.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:53 pm
There's been various stories (how true I don't know) that they can affect people who suffer with migraines or skin problems if they are used long term, and they are dangerous if they break as they contain mercury.

We've got them at Dave's mum's place at Pagham (her choice not mine!) and they make the room a strange colour and I really struggle to read which is a pain.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:56 pm
You can get different wattages so that might make a differenc.

I sit next to one when I'm in the living room and I've had no health problems, nor has prospective son in law and he has every allergy known to man!
Bob Marley.
36 posts Page 1 of 3
Return to “money saving tips”