Economy Seven

36 posts Page 2 of 3

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:12 pm
He sounds like a good test for them then!

I have to say the low energy ones look better now that you can get them shaped like normal bulbs - the original ones are so ugly.

Our living room lights aren't traditional ones as the lamps are shaped like ice cubes and they take tiny bulbs. I don't think you can get low energy ones so I hope they don't discontinue the normal ones!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:16 pm
Could be an excuse for some new lights?

Or you could just stock up on some bulbs!
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:19 pm
I'll be stocking up, I love my ice cube lights - much better than the boring ones we had before!

angelrainbow

Post by angelrainbow » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:57 pm
You can buy different wattage energy saving bulbs, we got a brighter one for our uplighter in the living room- and it is so much brighter than the old style bulbs we had in our wall lights. Due to our quirky old cottage we have a very low ceiling and can't have ceiling lights - and lighting has always been a bit of a problem - but no longer - yay!

I believe the old style bulbs are going to be gradually phased out over time now.
Completion Certificate received September 2012.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:59 pm
They'd better not phase out my little bulbs!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:02 pm
I believe AR is right and they are being phased out! This is why you should stock up on your bulbs while you can.

We have spots in the living room, dining room, hall and landing, bathroom and daughters bedroom. Have to start looking at replacing those bulbs with low energy LEDs when we can!
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

carole2662

Post by carole2662 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:56 pm
Our energy saving bulbs came from IKEA. They have a very yellow light not very nice to sit in to watch tv or to read. I always use my sewing lamp in the evening as you cant get energy saving bulbs to fit it.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:10 pm
Get our bulbs from Tesco or Asda and they are ok once warmed up.
Bob Marley.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:20 pm
Unfortunately I don't like yellow light, I find it dim and depressing and it makes my eyes ache if I try and read for too long.

I know I'll have to use the low energy bulbs soon as I'm sure they'll have to make them in this size - it's quite common, so it's not exactly fair to expect everyone who uses them to replace their lights!

I just hate the way we are being forced into having low energy bulbs. Fair enough to those who want to use them, but why should those of us who don't be forced to?

Shining

Post by Shining » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:22 pm
I have energy saving bulbs and only ever use economy 7 for dishwasher and washing machine, I don't own a tumble dryer but all else is set to come on in the night. I'm also up most nights watching TV or on the computer during the night so it does help keep our charges down. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

angelrainbow

Post by angelrainbow » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:29 pm
I think it is an EU regulation, Skip - no surprise there then!
Completion Certificate received September 2012.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:33 pm
Our dishwasher goes on whenever there is a full load regardless of the time of day, and I wouldn't be happy with the washer or the dryer going on overnight.

At the weekend it's straight out of the dryer, ironed and put away.
Bob Marley.

Shining

Post by Shining » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:38 pm
I wish I could afford it but sadly I can't x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:43 pm
Couldn't do without either I'm afraid - it's what I've got used to, and although I could dry the dishes by hand, I'd be stuffed without the tumble dryer!
Bob Marley.

Shining

Post by Shining » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:07 pm
I wouldn't want to be without my dishwasher but I guess if I had to I would eventually get used to it
36 posts Page 2 of 3
Return to “money saving tips”