Equity in Finance and DFD (PPI claim)

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
72 posts Page 3 of 5

Gareth

Post by Gareth » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:34 pm
Hi all,

To touch on one of Broke of London's point the risk of using a firm of your own choosing is that if the creditor offsets the PPI refunded against the outstanding debt you are still left owing the claims management company a fee (typically 25-30% plus VAT of the amount recovered) and that fee is not included in the IVA.
Gareth Buckley
Varden Nuttall
www.vardennuttall.co.uk

Read our reviews here: http://www.iva.com/iva_companies/Varden_Nuttall.asp

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:35 pm
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by Gareth

Hi all,

To touch on one of Broke of London's point the risk of using a firm of your own choosing is that if the creditor offsets the PPI refunded against the outstanding debt you are still left owing the claims management company a fee (typically 25-30% plus VAT of the amount recovered) and that fee is not included in the IVA.
This is a distinct, and unwelcome, possibility, Gareth. Which is why I advocate claiming yourself and paying the claim in, so that the creditors get the full whack.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Broke of London

Post by Broke of London » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:45 pm
Hi Gareth, my proposal actually encourages creditors to offset the claim against their own debt with any balance going to the communal pot. If there is no balance, how do Richardson Mail get paid if costs can't be deducted from the iva? And what are the costs?

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:37 pm
I'm not sure I follow your off-set point Gareth. If the creditor can contractually off-set the PPI reclaim against their debt - and yes I know that there is a great debate raging in our wider arena on that point - what difference does it make if a claims company is used or not?

I think the point that some posters are making is that they would prefer to make the claims themselves directly to the creditors - therefore no claims management companies involved. I would have no problem in supporting any of my clients who chose this route, but there would be more admin involved for us as we would have to track the progress of same.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:37 pm
Mel, if I may: Gareth'e offset point was, say, if I commissioned a claims company to deal with a PPI, they would be after a 25% cut of the payment. If the creditor offset the amount against the debt, I would not see any of the repayment and nor would the claims company. They would then pursue me for the 25%, which, of course, I would not have.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

annearchie

Post by annearchie » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:51 pm
I have sent my pack off but not sure if i had ppi. If it turns out i didnt have it will i have to pay anything with EIF ?

Shining

Post by Shining » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:13 pm
Not if you were requested to complete the forms by your IP or I'd hope not. Any fees would have to be absorbed by the company who requested they act for you??
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

artemischild

Post by artemischild » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:56 pm
No payments come from you unless there is a win, they will only do the initial query and then do all the work on securing the m,onies etc, im assuming these terms will already have been agreed on a block contract between EiF and DfD.

Just be glad there doing it 7 months into your ive and not 7 weeks after like most poeple!!!
IVA completion and certificate received 08/10/2012!!!

deeps227

Post by deeps227 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:52 pm
EIF 40% in my letter it states on recovery of £3,000 at a 40% fee the company fee is £1200.00. sorry but shame on you payplan. they say you pay as much back into the pot, lets start with looking at the high % they take. And yes i have had dealing with EiF NEVER EVER again

deeps227

Post by deeps227 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:06 pm
thats before any fees to payplan!!

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:11 pm
40% commission does indeed seem a high sum - the claims management company I am using only charge 15% which I deem to be very fair given the work that has to be done - of course clients are free to make their own claims if they wish.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

deeps227

Post by deeps227 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:13 pm
So just to put some figures down, award £10,000. EiF fees £4,000, Payplan fee unknown yet( waiting for a complete break down of dividents and fees). so without taking off paylans slice leaves £6,000 almost half gone. oh and the debter £0.00 but hold on.. if you get a litte bit from the stat interest you have to pay tax.!!

deeps227

Post by deeps227 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:21 pm
Hi Mel
15% is fair. not all of us are experts in finance or what we would call switched on or fully understand. in my letter it says " we therefore recommend that you pursue these possible compensation claims" no where does it say in this letter i dont have to. i only found this out at a later date.

orchid5

Post by orchid5 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:27 pm
Hi Deeps i have written on my thread but totally agree with you.

I am in the unfortunate position that one of my creditors has off-set their own debt with my PPI and sent the balance onto my IP.

They are now contesting this off set but this then means if they should get it upheld that:

EIF get a bigger slice of commission.
My IVA pot gets a lower amount.
All my other creditors get a lower dividend which in fact is near to 100p should they not contest this!

I wasn't given the choice to do these claims myself and i'm totally frustrated by the whole process and do think there should be a ruling on this and very quickly too.
Om shanti, namesté, good luck to all who are embarking on the IVA journey, it isn't always an easy one but the outcome is the best.

IVA COMPLETED August 2012, received Completion certificate 18.4.13.

deeps227

Post by deeps227 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:30 pm
and as i said before, because Lloyds didnt break the claim down i have been told that because they cant work out the way they have calculated they can not help me. I was advised i can chase Lloyds so a case of we got our money tuff luck on your behalf.
72 posts Page 3 of 5
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”