Expenditure and pets

25 posts Page 2 of 2

OPTIMIST12

Post by OPTIMIST12 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:08 pm
If you are a "cat" person looking for a new pet can I recommend the charity called "Cats Protection". They have branches all over the country - all with cats needing homes after they have been abandoned or their owners have died etc. etc. They always do a "home visit" to make sure that the home is suitable for the cat - or cats - in question and (so far as I am aware) the organisation is mainly run by unpaid volunteers.

We got our cat from them and it is a great privilege to give a second chance to a cat that has been mistreated by some lowlife "human".
47 months completed - 13 months to go.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:27 pm
If we ever move (and it's a big if at the moment) we're getting a cat or kitten and it will definitely come from a charity. I looked on the Cats Protection website but they don't have a branch near me. I am now looking at a local charity called Hounslow Animal Welfare as I'm not keen on the RSPCA and I wouldn't buy a cat from a pet shop.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is the present - a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

OPTIMIST12

Post by OPTIMIST12 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:36 pm
Is that Hounslow as in the one in West London?

If so - there is a Cats Protection Branch for "Ealing and West London". I dont know anything about that branch but might be worth giving them a call?

Can I also applaud you for NOT buying a cat from a pet shop - if only everyone felt the same.
47 months completed - 13 months to go.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:51 pm
Thanks, I didn't realise that - I'll have to check that out. I must admit I want a kitten (I know I should have an older cat but I've never had a kitten before!) but I really don't approve of pet shops. As you might be able to guess I'm pretty fond of animals and concerned with their welfare, although can I just make it clear that I'm not an animal rights nut and I don't own a balaclava!

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is the present - a gift to make the most of.

Last edited by Skippy on Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lily

Post by lily » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:07 pm
SSSSSkip, You need a kitty kat, a hand reared one I have two beautiful hand reared babies, they do not know they are cats. They cant go to family with kids, I couldnt bear for them to be pulled about, they trust human hands far too much. My brother lives in london, they would be yours if you want them, its so much fun having two, they are very healthy, been to the vets three times for check ups and wormy stuff etc. They are so funny watching them play, you would love them, it would be good to have two. Our vet has offered to find them a good home, he was quite keen on them last time he saw them,there is always someone having to face the reality of having their own pet put to sleep. Although I dont want them to go, I can only really keep two myself. It is really sad that they didnt have a catty type mom, I have been here night and day caring for them, to the best of my ability. (having said that I did spill tea on one yesterday, he is fine, you have never seen a cat get whipped under a cold running tap as quick in your life, whoooosh, it was that quick, he is fine it wasnt scold, hot). The point is though he trusted me completely, just let me hold him under the tap, that kind of trust is kind of special, dont you think??

lily
lily

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:18 pm
Oh Lily, I would jump at the chance to have your kitty cats - the problem is the move is in doubt now and I couldn't have cats here in a one bedroom flat near a main road, people here have got cats but I don't think it's fair. I also can't really have a kitty until next year as if we do move Dave wants to do some work on the place and I'd hate the noise to upset them.

Is there no way you can keep them?

lily

Post by lily » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:29 pm
dont worry skip, I am keeping two of them, but any more would be too much, with insurance and everything, we do live in a quiet area, surounded by a huge cemetary and golf course and I have thought about keeping them all. (there are four of them) But with the kids needs and we have a dog and parrot, plus a small bid avery outside, I have to be practical. They were four, cold, abandoned scraps of life, trying to survive now they are healthy, beautiful and full of life and they will make excellent pets for an adult family. I can with the help of our vet find good homes for the other two, and believe me, I will be vetting the homes they go to. I just thought you were after a kitty cat.

They are not ready yet anyway, another month or so, still bottle feeding.

lily
Last edited by lily on Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lily

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:33 pm
I'm definitely after a kitty cat and I would love to take them - Dave doesn't know I'm saying this but please will you let me know when you are ready to rehome them? Depending on our situation I will flutter my eyelids and lay on the charm and try and get him to say yes! He's a big softy really, so you never know!

You know they would be well looked after with me - they would be my babies!

Sadsack

Post by Sadsack » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:05 am
Skip & Lily

This is what makes this forum so very special. This deep caring for animals and the way we share our heartache and happiness, warms me to the toes.

As you all know I have a dog and 2 cats and I quite frankly, would definately not be sane without them. In my IVA, I was not allowed to take my pets and their needs into consideration, so I just plain went without. Their food and their needs came way before mine and will continue to be so until they are no longer with me.

Now I am BR, if the OR tells me that my animals needs are not paramount, I will quite openly tell them to shove it and run away!!! (no, I won't really but I will fight them tooth and nail).

Sue

Ho Hum! Think I'll bang my drum!

Read My Blog
http://sadsack.blogs.iva.co.uk/
Ho Hum! Think I'll bang my drum!

Read My Blog
http://sadsack.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:28 am
I don't know what I would have done without this forum at times, and I've made some good friends.

I don't blame you for fighting for your animals Sue, I would be the same. They are your family, and as I've said before would the OR expect you to rehome children or make them go without?

Good luck, and stay strong, I'll be thinking about you x

25 posts Page 2 of 2
Return to “IVA expenditure allowances”