financing after an IVA

16 posts Page 1 of 2

steveb32

Post by steveb32 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:20 pm
Hi everyone, my first post here.
im a little confused regarding my IVA. next month will mark 6 years since i initially took out my IVA, its been paid up for several months now(i finished a few months late due to a payment break i took after me and the wife had an "accident")but im unsure exactly what it means for my credit rating after the six year period. as i understand it the IVA is wiped from my history, but does that mean i can get credit easily? i applied for a full current account a couple months ago and was surprised that i was declined for that despite having a certificate of completion from my IVA.
i need to finance a new truck for my business and have been holding out for next month but im uncertain whats going to happen when i apply for credt and dont want to make my rating worse by failing applications.
im also wondering if there is any different in the credit check they run for a finance agreement or a lease hire agreement as perhaps going the lease hire route would give me a better chance?

thanks for your replies.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:04 pm
Hi Steve

There is no set route to becoming creditworthy again after a period of insolvency, you will just have to try a number of companies to see if they will accept you.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

TheMatrix

Post by TheMatrix » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:47 pm
Get hold of your credit file before you apply, make sure the IVA and any associated defaults are also wiped too.
We're willing to wipe the slate clean, give you a fresh start. All that we're asking in return is your cooperation.

Marshall

Post by Marshall » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:26 am
MelanieGiles wrote:

Hi Steve

There is no set route to becoming creditworthy again after a period of insolvency, you will just have to try a number of companies to see if they will accept you.
Hi, Steve.
well i think that Melanie Giles is right you have go through a lots of companies and find out one of them which will accept you. And really its only you that can do any thing in this matter.

David Mond

Post by David Mond » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:45 am
Ensure your credit file has a copy of your Certificate of Compliance that your IP would have sent you on satisfactory completion of your IVA.
Regards, David Mond, Insolvency Practitioner for over 46 years. Personal Insolvency Practitioner of the year 2012, Personal Insolvency Practitioner of the year finalist 2013 & 2014 awarded by Insolvency & Rescue Magazine and 2015 finalist for Personal Insolvency Firm of the Year.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:41 am
Hi Steve and welcome from me.

Can I say congratulations on finishing your IVA? You must be so proud.

Good luck to you and your wife for the future.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:14 am
If you start applying for credit at numerous places does it not leave "footprints"??
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:16 am
I think it does Plastic.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:32 am
So if you go round half a dozen lenders its not going to make a credit file look too good is it??

I am fully aware of how hard its going to be to get credit after my trust deed is done and dusted,but from various posts on here it seems to be a surprise for some.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:38 am
I think that perhaps people are under the impression that as soon as the 6 years is up and your record is clear, that you can get credit easily.

It's not that simple anymore. It does help if you have kept a mobile phone contract going and that your bank account is running smoothly.
Bob Marley.

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:29 pm
I remember being 18 and in full time employment and trying to get a loan for a motorbike. It was like banging my head against the wall. My problem was that I had NO credit history so no one would touch me,until I got lombard to accept if I had a guarentor. The bank account and mobile contract and being on the electroral register all help.

tonyranks

Post by tonyranks » Tue May 15, 2012 8:42 pm
i think six years is much better than 5 years with satisfied defaults
time is always the answer, stay focus and you will reach the end all in good time

KAYKAY

Post by KAYKAY » Tue May 15, 2012 8:49 pm
Some of the credit file companies (I know experian does) can match the best credit cards / loans etc.. they state that if done through them this does not leave a footprint on your credit file. Take a look on their website for some idea of your credit worthiness.
IVA Completed August 2011

coachjambo

Post by coachjambo » Sat May 26, 2012 3:16 pm
Afternoon all,
I finished my IVA in june last year, got my completion certificate in october and since then have been getting used to life without an IVA, which is much better than life with one, but it did teach me a lot of lessons!
I actually pushed my luck a couple of months ago, i applied for a credit card with capital one, read about it first, stating it will help rebuild your score, a week later i got a card through the post and a £500 limit. The reason i have done this is so i can use it a little and pay it straight off, to try help my credit score.
So far so good!

Now i am just a month away for my IVA to come off my credit file, but then what happens? Im excited to find out!
IVA Completed June 2011!

Update is it has now been 6 years + 1 day since the start...it has all just been removed from my credit report! Soo Happy!

It was worth the long wait!

Now I am free again!

mattyboy

Post by mattyboy » Sat May 26, 2012 9:59 pm
The main thing is to check your credit files on all three agencies are clean, rebuilding takes a while but you can't start easily until all the CRAs have clean records.

After cleaning up my credit files I was pleasantly surprised at how simple it was to get back on track with credit.
The key is learning from mistakes and not repeating them.

Dont apply for multiple lines of credit, this will ruin your rating. Instead check your files and use online search engines such as money supermarket that will soft search your file and tell you the likelihood of being accepted for a particular loan or credit card without actually applying. A soft search doesn't impact on your credit rating.

Whilst getting your credit rating from the CRA s isn't particularly meaningful because each lender assesses things differently, I found the Equifax credit rating and checkmyfile rating the most realistic.

Remember multiple credit searches in a short period of time can be viewed by lenders as desperation or even fraud. If in doubt call and ask about your chances of acceptance before applying.
"Just when you think that you can make ends meet, somebody moves the ends."
16 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “credit”