First charity shop experience

104 posts Page 1 of 7

another_bump

Post by another_bump » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:55 pm
I've never previously considered buying from a charity shop. I assumed that it would be full of junk but the baby clothes caught my eye as I walked passed this morning.

I got a sunhat for 50p for my 8 month old girl as she's been wearing her brother's old baseball cap for the last few months and a pair of M&S shorts for my 2 year old for a £1.
My best find though was for myself - my work clothes are all size 14's and 16's but I'm in a 20 after having my little rascals. I'm dieting and have almost lost a dress size but doubt I'll be back in my work clothes by the time I return. So I found a skirt from monsoon £3 (!!) and a brown wrap-around dress from Next for £3.50. I'm a convert!! Along with my £2 Principles suit off eBay I think I'm almost there workwise. I just need new underwear as I'm still wearing my feeding bras even though I stopped feeding last month (he he!!). Don't think I'll be doing secondhand underwear though[xx(]

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:10 pm
Charity shops are great. I've had stuff from there in the past, and stuff I haven't been able to sell on Ebay goes there. There are some brilliant bargains. The Monsoon skirt sounds great!

I wouldn't be buying second hand underwear either![:D]
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Shining

Post by Shining » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:32 pm
Good bargains I say and my eldest son always insisted on charity shop clothes when he was a teenager x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

ThriftyWitch

Post by ThriftyWitch » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:36 pm
Yep Charity Shops are great. One good tip is to visit ones in more affluent areas, you can normally find some fantastic bargains![:D]
Trying to be thrifty!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:09 pm
Wish I had a more affluent area near me! I live near chav central so no chance!
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

ThriftyWitch

Post by ThriftyWitch » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:25 pm
Hahaha, Kallis!.....yeah, im pretty much with you on that one, but sometimes, just sometimes I find myself out of my neck of the woods!. Someone I once knew of did live near a more affluent area and managed to bag two pairs of the most gorgeous Laura Ashley curtains, really thick, lined and heavey for her house for a fiver!...amoung many other things.

Freecycle is another good 'place' online to bag some once loved and sometimes expensive items in your area for free [:)]
Trying to be thrifty!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:44 pm
I pretty much do Ebay most of the time. I enjoy the bidding!
Bob Marley.

ThriftyWitch

Post by ThriftyWitch » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:43 pm
Me too, although I normally get outbid!
Trying to be thrifty!

Jan01

Post by Jan01 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:45 pm
I sometimes have to go to Royal Tonbridge Wells for work and the charity shops there are great. I go a lovely leather briefcase/handbag for £5.00 worth at least 10 times that and it look brand new.

I have also got lots of clothes for only a few £'s an item often good lables. Even though I have completed paying for my IVA I will still continue to look in charity shops.

Also pre IVA I had a catalouge which was paid up but the account was still open and by chance they have a cut price on line section and for items such as black trousers, tops underware etc it is great. I did of course paid for the items in full.

Jan
Nothing you can buy feels as good as not being in debt.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:45 pm
You should 'snipe'. I do it and have won loads of stuff in the last few seconds.
Bob Marley.

ThriftyWitch

Post by ThriftyWitch » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:52 pm
Sounds like some good bargains there Jan!

I forgot about sniping Kallis, I used to use bidnapper but I am sure they only gave me a few 'snipes' like a trial or something?!?!
Trying to be thrifty!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:10 pm
I used Goofbay - it was free the last time I looked.
Bob Marley.

ThriftyWitch

Post by ThriftyWitch » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:14 pm
Ohhhh thank you Kallis[:D]
Trying to be thrifty!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:17 pm
Pleasure. It's usually worked for me.
Bob Marley.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:09 pm
My daughter's partner is the manager of a charity shop so we donate a lot of things. I've also bought from there, always great to get a bargain [:)]
104 posts Page 1 of 7
Return to “money saving tips”