First charity shop experience

104 posts Page 2 of 7

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:16 pm
I used to go in charity shops quite a lot before we moved offices but now I don't work in a town I don't as much. Also where we were before was close to an affluent area!

I'm quite choosy about which charity shops I go in as well - it has to be a charity that I support.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:20 pm
I don't work near a town either, so don't go in as often as I could. I only use ones from charities that I support as well.

I do get fed up of getting the bags through the door all the time - we can get five or six a week sometimes. I tend to take my donations to the shops myself and I never give to those companies who send the clothes to third world countries and then sell them.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:41 pm
Don't get me started on those stupid bags! I don't know how many clothes they think I've got, but they're not having any! Anything I don't want either goes on Ebay or to the charity shop.

I keep meaning to put a notice on the door saying not to bother putting them through the letter box!

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:50 pm
I have to admit, I love those bags! I use them for my rubbish [:I]

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:54 pm
That's all we use them for Julie!

Shining

Post by Shining » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:33 am
Once back in 1987 my friend had a house fire and sadly her little boy (2) died, her elder boy survived, the house burnt right out, Mum was obviously too distraught to take the 6 year old to get any clothes and we couldn't ask her for money and all he had was his pyjamas on. I carried him into town bought him some plimsolls and then went around the charity shops to get him clothes, most of them a couple of quid in each as we hardly had any cash. Sue Ryder shop in our local town said, take anything ...no payment, how charitable was that? Anything I donate goes to them now for definite and they clothed Mum, Dad and Robert all free of charge.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:50 am
What a tragic story Lesley, but a lovely gesture from the charity.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Shining

Post by Shining » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:42 am
It was an awful time Jan but I was there to support Mum and Dad. I then became Godmother to a little girl they had a few years later x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:45 am
I can imagine it would be. I remember one of our neigbhours having stillborn child some years ago, awful time. She went on to have twins.
Bob Marley.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:29 pm
That really is a case of charity at its best Lesley..

Daughter's partner works for help the aged, I always support them.

Jan01

Post by Jan01 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:06 pm
Localy we have Demelza House Charity Shop a children's hospice, and local people suport it well so often the shop has some good things. I get cross locally with another national charity who have a furniture and electrical goods store and charge the esrth for things. I know that electrical good have to be checked and soft furniture needs to be cleaned but every thing is donated. I think they even charge to pick up donated goods. I think this is so wrong as a lot of people shop in charity shops due to need. We looked in there with my grandson as they had to furnish their first flat they couldn't afford to buy things in there £300 for a 2nd had suite, £150 for a cooker, they ended up looking in the free adds.and one person who they brought the suite from delivered it for them and helped carry it up 4 flights of stairs with no extra charge.

Jan
Nothing you can buy feels as good as not being in debt.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:54 pm
I tend to donate to BHF, Age Concern (which I think is twinned with Help the Aged) Guides for the Blind and some of the local hospices.

Charity wise I always support the RNLI - I know I'm landlocked but I do so admire the work the do. Air ambulance is another one.
Bob Marley.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:59 pm
With charity shops I only tend to go to BHF, Cancer Research, Cats Protection and Princess Alice Hospice.

Other charities I support are MS Society, MacMillan, Help for Heroes, Guide Dogs (I sponsor a little puppy called Otis) and Hounslow Animal Welfare Society (the charity that Harry came from).

We have dress down Friday at work and if you want to take part you have to pay £2 a month. I'm responsible for collecting the money and sending it to charity and I always try and do local ones.

Shining

Post by Shining » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:02 pm
We have dress down Mondays and pay 50p per week to wear jeans or whatever we want, there's two of us that do it!

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:08 pm
It's a nightmare getting the money from some people - I think I'm going to get tough and tell them that if they don't pay they can wear their normal office clothes!
104 posts Page 2 of 7
Return to “money saving tips”