First charity shop experience

104 posts Page 3 of 7

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:17 pm
We pay £1 for dress down Friday, I think most of the 100 employees pay so its a good donation to the chosen charity.

I never know what to wear though...I don't do "dress down" very well [:I][:D]

Shining

Post by Shining » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:23 pm
I wear jeans if I can, but often stuck for things for work, I'd prefer a uniform x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:24 pm
There's only 10 of us so we only raise £20 a month but every little helps!

It does annoy me though when people are happy to dress down, but moan about paying the money - one woman in particular does this and a few times I've had to ask in a loud voice in front of other people to get her to pay up. I don't like doing it and would only do it as a last resort, but no-one forces her to dress down.

I always wear jeans and t shirt - so much more comfortable!

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:30 pm
I don't envy you having to collect the money Skippy.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:38 pm
I got landed with it as a temporary measure when someone left 3 years ago! I wouldn't mind if I was asking for big money, but it's only 2 quid and I remind them all on payday!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:28 pm
We rarely do anything like that. Did the breast cancer one a few months ago, but other than that we wear uniform all the time.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Shining

Post by Shining » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:33 pm
I'd love a uniform, would save me finding work clothes. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:09 pm
I buy my own trousers as the uniform ones are rubbish.

I tend to get the £5 ones from Asda or Tesco - they're great.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:14 pm
I get the £5 trousers from Tesco.

The stupid thing is if there's anything that needs doing in the archive area at work (it can be a tad dusty!) they tell us to leave it to Friday so we don't have to do it in our work clothes. Don't they realise my home clothes are more expensive?!?!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:15 pm
[:D][:D]

Get a cheap pair of trousers to do that!
Bob Marley.

flow13

Post by flow13 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:14 am
I work for a housing association that provides housing to vulnerable people (homeless, domestic violence victims). Anyways, local to us (west bromwich) is like a - i dunno what they call it - a place where they make up food parcels for the homeless or people who are just moving into theor own place and have nothing. We each bring in tinned/long-life foods and donate.

At church though we suport something called Birmingham City Mission and they do food kitchens etc.
Its now time to start living and to make some some wonderful memories!
Read my blog at http://flow13.blogs.iva.co.uk/ 'Aiming for the finish line'

Jan01

Post by Jan01 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:03 pm
Going to Tonbridge Wells tomorrow won't have a lot of time but should have a few minutes to look in the chaity shops.

Tesco £5.00 trousers are great for work and wash pretty well.

As this month is my 2nd not paying for my IVA I treated my self and spent £100 on new clothes and shoes for me. Although I have the money its mine I still felt guilty afterwards. I still looked for sale bargains can't seem to buy anything at full price now.

Jan
Nothing you can buy feels as good as not being in debt.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:36 pm
Don't blame you Jan.

I love a bargain as well!
Bob Marley.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:49 am
When we've been shopping recently, hubby always asks if I need any tops or trousers. I've said I'd love some but we just can't afford any. Before the IVA I would have snatched his hand off!
Bob Marley.

another_bump

Post by another_bump » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:16 pm
I love shopping too Jan but I other than work shirts and trousers for my OH I haven't bought anything new for us since we went into the IVA last November. I've been lucky enough to get all of my neice's hand-me-downs for my 8 month old daughter and have bought bundles from eBay for my 2 year old. Any new stuff tends to be gifts from the grandparents.

My weight has fluctuated between a 12 and 20 over the last few years and when I move out of a size I bag it up and put it in the attic. The thing is I forget what I've got and buy new stuff but last week I got it all down and then washed and ironed the stuff that fits or will fit soon. I've got a new wardrobe! woo hoo!!

Freecycle is good too I just managed to get a bike seat for our toddler and he loves it! It's amazing what people will give away. I'm about to put some garden lights on there as my 2 year old keeps pulling them up and then throwing them lie a spear. Eek!
104 posts Page 3 of 7
Return to “money saving tips”