First Step Taken

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
56 posts Page 1 of 4

susieq73

Post by susieq73 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:24 pm
Hi Guys - at long last I made the call today to a company and been advised that an IVA is a possible route for me. I've talked it through - just spent nearly an hour on the phone and they are sending me some paperwork out and will call me again on Tuesday.
I know its a long process and its not guaranteed but what a relief to finally have spoken to someone and know that they are there to help.
I now have to look for a basic bank account as my own bank are creditors.
All I can say is thank you to all those on here who have helped me make this initial decision - after reading everyone else's experience on here - its a god send! I shall be here now to post each step of the way, just hope its a good one!
Susie
x
Susie
x

IVA Accepted 31st March 2011.
IVA Ends 31st March 2016.

ginger3232

Post by ginger3232 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:30 pm
Well done for making that decision, Start looking at your bank account options now, by the time you get account numbers/set up DDs etc/ and your wages paid ,you be suprised how long all that take.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:38 pm
Well done. Setting up a new bank account and moving DD's etc will alaso give you something else to think about and not let you dwell too much between the various stages. It's also a good chance to re-organise payment dates etc. to help you keep track of the money you have.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Shining

Post by Shining » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:44 pm
That first step is done, now for the bank account, why not start a blog so we can follow you each step of the way and it's there as a permanent reminder and can be cathartic too. You'll be amazed in a few months just how far you've come and your blog along with your posts will help others embarking on their journey. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

susieq73

Post by susieq73 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:20 pm
I may just do that - thinking of all things i need to do over weekend, look out payslips, tenancy agreement, bank statements etc etc. Lots to do. I think the new bank account will be a challenge, trying to get my monthly salary changed to it, it will have to be the one I get at end of March now as I've missed the cut off for this month. Then there is my DD/SO's but I'll get there. At least its all a start and a move in the right direction!
I will sleep slightly better tonight!
xx
Susie
x

corfu

Post by corfu » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:44 pm
well done susie
thats the hard bit first call
we are all here for you
corfu

Mutley1968

Post by Mutley1968 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:45 pm
speaking as somebody who is about 10 days ahead of you.....just got my proposal to look over and sign :)
i hope your as amazed as i was at how smoothly things start to go, once you have made "the phonecall"
:)

Struzzo39

Post by Struzzo39 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:41 pm
You've done the worst bit by admitting theres a problem and seeking help!! Well done!!:) heres hoping the weeks and months ahead are easy runnings for you, remember the forum if here for support and guidence and just to let off steam to if the need arises. You may find it all a bit of an emotional roller coaster i remember this time well, but you will get through it. Good luck xx
Steven & Debbie

susieq73

Post by susieq73 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:14 am
Thank you all - a full 9 hour sleep last night, first in a long time :)
Getting ready to dig out all the paperwork over this weekend..too wet to go out!..
Hope everyone has a good weekend
Susie
xx
Susie
x

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:42 am
Good luck with your proposal Susie. I certainly agree that the weather is much too wet!

Which company have you chosen?
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

susieq73

Post by susieq73 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:51 am
I have opted for Cleardebt, they were very good yesterday and the girl I spoke to Becky was very helpful and understanding.
Reviewed a few places on IVA.com, mulled over them for a few days and made a choice.
So am waiting for the information pack and Becky will call me back on Tuesday to make sure I've got it and to talk me through it.
I am hoping all will go smoothly, just need to sort out my new bank account,and get pay etc moved.
xx
Susie
x

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:59 am
You've made a good choice, they are an excellent firm and well recommended on here. You also have the advantage of Size5 posting if you have any queries.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Broke of London

Post by Broke of London » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:43 am
Hi - as you are so early in the process you may still be eligBle for a regular current account rather than the basic account. I got one with a very shoddy credit file and they even offered an overdraft! Good luck with everything this weekend and don't forget to get some downtime too! X

susieq73

Post by susieq73 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:00 pm
Thanks - I was advised to look at both Natwest basic account and Halifax basic account but on checking the halifax online for that account - it does say you can't have one if you are entering into an IVA, so i may try Natwest.
Just a bit nervous about changing all my direct debits etc - have had the same bank account with a scottish bank for the last 20 years so never had to change anything. I'll be cancelling some direct debits for creditors anyway but my main council tax/ rent etc will need to be moved. Also need to speak to my payroll dept to have my monthly pay directed to the new account for next month's pay - too late for my pay at end of Feb so will be end of March's wage now.
Lots to do!..have finally sat down now @ 5pm.

Could go a large glass of wine but have given up the booze - trying to loose lots of weight and the wine doesn't help!...so have given it all up!..i'll stick to my sparkling water tonight.
xx
Susie
x

Shining

Post by Shining » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:05 pm
I can confirm the Natwest is a good choice Susie and I had to change all my direct debits but half a dozen phone calls and it was all done.

Well done for being so good on your diet too. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.
56 posts Page 1 of 4
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”