Foodbank

11 posts Page 1 of 1

kazzafunk

Post by kazzafunk » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:57 pm
This is my annual post on the subject!

If anybody is really struggling due to Christmas or winter bills please look on www.trusselltrust.co.uk to see if there is a Food bank nearby who could help. We are very busy this year compared to last year (double the referrals already) and there is no point in struggling when there is help available.

Anybody can contact their Foodbank. If you have car problems, a large dental bill, can't afford to tax your car but need it for work etc etc. Please don't be proud - seek help.
Kazza

Please visit my blog:
http://kazzafunk.blogs.iva.co.uk/

IVA completed 21/03/2012

Hair_bobbles

Post by Hair_bobbles » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:08 pm
Thanks for the link kazzafunk. I've downloaded a shopping list & I'm going to donate to my local foodbank.
Fortunately we're not in need of it- ( yet) but it's good to know that it's there if you really need it.
IVA COMPLETED & CLEAN CREDIT FILE.

An old bible proverb says this: the rich one rules the poor, and the borrower is a slave to the lender.

How true are those words of wisdom.

kazzafunk

Post by kazzafunk » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:27 pm
That's fantastic Hair_bobbles - we get stacks of soup, beans and cereal in ours and always run short of tinned tuna, sugar and longlife juice (it might be worth asking your nearest one what they run short of.

If everyone who shopped in our local supermarkets put 1 item in we would be set for life!
Kazza

Please visit my blog:

IVA completed 21/03/2012

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:37 am
Thanks for posting that Kazza. Can I ask what is probably a silly question - do foodbanks also have pet food? If there was somewhere that people could pick up a few tins of Whiskas / Chum it might stop people going without themselves or, even worse, abandoning their animals.

Shining

Post by Shining » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:16 pm
In our supermaket Skippy the local dog charities have wheelie bins and anyone can buy a tin or box of bicuits or treats and donate that way. (well that is Morrisons).
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:55 pm
That's a good idea Lesley. As you probably know I prefer animals to humans and I hate to think of them suffering. I'm going to drop some cat food off at the vets tonight for their Christmas appeal. I've also bought a dog and a cat at Battersea Christmas dinner.

Not that I'm soft of course...

kazzafunk

Post by kazzafunk » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:54 pm
Skippy - it isn't on the official food list, but many people (animal lovers) put cans in our collection box. Many of our clients have said they would go without to feed their pets.

The jury is out with us and our volunteers on pets but my opinion is if you have pets before the crisis hits you then of course we should provide food. A few of our clients add pets to the household when on benefits and I have to say I think that is selfish when they can hardly look after themselves.
Kazza

Please visit my blog:

IVA completed 21/03/2012

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:02 pm
At work last week the 150 staff collected over 400 items for our local foodbank .... We delivered them yesterday using two large cars ! The moral in the office is high and everyone is united in helping the most needy in our society.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:16 pm
Kazza, I'm disappointed that opinion is divided about pet food. Pets are so important to a lot of people and can be their only company - anyone who doesn't believe that should read A Streetcat Named Bob. A lot of people are alone and rely on their pets and if times are hard they need them even more.

I do agree that taking on extra animals if you are on benefits is irresponsible though.

Shining

Post by Shining » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:37 pm
Due to the recent floods in our area (luckily I wasn't affected) where I work has been collecting to help the victims which includes donating to the local food bank, we've made our 2nd delivery to a distribution point and I'm pleased to say it's all been well received.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

kazzafunk

Post by kazzafunk » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:07 pm
Here I go again - on my soapbox!

If anyone is struggling through this weather (flooding / fences down etc) please contact your local Foodbank for help.

They can give you emergency boxes (supposed to be 3 days but can be stretched out very easily!). You are usually allowed 3 boxes in a 12 week period but each foodbank can extend if required.

And please look out in your local supermarkets / churches etc for the donation tub. I live in a very small town in the south west and we gave out over a ton of food in December.

One of the eligible criteria is debt - so it's not begging, just tell them you are struggling!
Kazza

Please visit my blog:

IVA completed 21/03/2012
11 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “friends corner”