For aguise

24 posts Page 1 of 2

emma_t

Post by emma_t » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:36 pm
Hi ang

Thanks so much for answering my previous posts about my recent medical problems, I just wondered if you could just help me a bit more...

I started on the thyroxin as directed by the doctor at 50mg and after a few weeks began to feel a bit less fatigued. I went back to him after one month and another blood test and he said my thyroid levels were 'failing fast'[:0] he told me to start taking 100mg of the thyroxin and go back in another month and have a blood tet and see him again. The problem I am having is its been 2 weeks on the new dose and I have gone back to feeling really tired all the time and find it hard to concentrate for any length of time. It is not normal tiredness but all consuming debilitating tiredness I can't even begin to explain.
Did you have this extreme fatigue? If so when did it start to improve?
Do you have regular blood tests every month to check levels or does it even out eventualy?

The Metformin I am also on, which I remember you are not, has been a nightmare to get used to as so many side effects. When I started on one tablet I was fine but when increased to 2 and then 3 tablets it was horrendous. That and work commitments mean I hae not been around on the forum for a while as have felt so awful. On a positive it seems to be settling down now, and I am lead to believe all side effects will stop with time.
The only noticable benefit of the Metformin is I have lost weight without even trying and my appetite has decreased greatly. Also find I am craving fruit and healthier things[:)]

The doc is also sending me to a dietician for a course in low GI eating to manage the insulin resistance and PCOS. I go for the first time this weekend which I am looking forward to.
The doctor I am seeing is fantastic and at the top of his field and I have managed to find on amazon some books he has written, so will be more informed when they arrive but it is so hard to get all the information I need in the appointment time I have with him.

Sorry for this life history long post and I hope you don't mind me asking but 'speaking' with someone who has the condition is very helpful to me

I hope you are feeling ok and not working to hard[:)]
Emma x
Be positive & look after yourself, there are more important things in life than debts....

Best Wishes

Emma x

aguise

Post by aguise » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:53 pm
I am fine except for rotten cold sores I need a motorbike helmet, though they are improving.
It can take time to settle on thyroxine, yes I was so ill I found it difficult to speak or even make a small decision. I am funnily enough going for my bloods tomorrow, mine are checked 6 to 12 monthly and every so often by the hospital clinic, but initially every 6 weeks. Thyroxine takes a while to get into the system it is not immediate thus the 6 weeks between bloods and dosage changes. I would give the 100mcgs a bit longer, dont forget them and see how your levels are next time. You are a bit different because you have the blood sugar prob as well and that can make you very tired as well if low. When your levels are in normal range then they will reduce the blood tests as it tends to stabilise. Mine vary a little but not a lot. Do you have your results ? It would be ft4 and tsh.

Ang
Please visit my blog at http://aguise.blogs.iva.co.uk/

emma_t

Post by emma_t » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:03 am
Can you not get stick on patches that cover and heal coldsores at the same time now...

Sure I saw an advert on telly about them.......... however I am a marketing person's dream as get sucked in by lots of advertising and believe the claims they make [:I]

I will look out the results of bloods tommorrow and post

thanks for reply
Emma x
Be positive & look after yourself, there are more important things in life than debts....

Best Wishes

Emma x

aguise

Post by aguise » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:19 am
Yes you can emma but they probably cost a fortune. They are healing now so I will survive lol.
Dont get sucked in Emma a lot of things like the zovirax for cold sores which costs over £4 can be bought under own brand names with exactly the same ingredients for a aquarter the cost, ,there is no difference at all. The same for things like annadin extra, buy paracetamol plus and they are the same.
Speak later I hope the docs goes ok.

Angx

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:41 am
I tried the patches - I thought they were a waste of money. They were fiddly to apply and painful to take off - the first one took the top off the cold sore and made it look worse!

I've actually found that mine get better faster if I don't put anything on them - strange!

emma_t

Post by emma_t » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:07 am
Isn't it strange but as I say I get sucked in by fancy advertising claims[:I]
I know its more of a psycological effect but if I ever have to take painkillers they have to be one particular brand as I seem to not get the pain relief from others.
As I said very irrational but I can't seem to stop myself and buy the own brand cheaper tablets....
....mind you I would never have known I am entitled to free prescriptions if Ang had not told me. I have my card now and it saves a fortune and my doctor is fantastic and I had 6 different items on a prescription today - would have cost me £41.10 if I had still been paying [:0] So many thanks again for informing me ang[:)]
He put some painkillers on this prescription so don't have to now worry about buying over the counter and the cost of that

thanks both
Emma x
Last edited by emma_t on Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Best Wishes

Emma x

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:08 pm
I'm like that Emma - I think Nurofen works much better than generic ibruprofen!

vickir

Post by vickir » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:17 pm
Get Cymex for Cold Sores, its so much cheaper and its so much better than the Compede patches or Zovirex, you can get it in supermarket or superdrug - my daughter gets a lot of them and its always worked better than anything else we have tried x

vickir

Post by vickir » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:18 pm
And even though it says apply every couple of hours, we put it on every half hour or so - there completely gone in 2 days

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:57 pm
I'll try that Vicki. I haven't had one this year, but I usually get a huge one and the glands in my neck swell up - I look stunning!

emma_t

Post by emma_t » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:21 pm
Hi ang

I have dug out my blood results and they are as follows;
TSH 3.8
T4 120
Then he says I need my hyroid function tests repeated as it appears to be failing rapidly[:0] Up to 75mg daily of thyroxin and 1500g metformin.

On the plus side I went to the dietician this morning[:I] and she was great, she advises a low GI plan for the insulin resistance and that should help the PCOS/underactive thyroid symptoms also. Very embarrasing as I had to keep a food diary before I went and I realised how awful my diet was.

I have also brought a book written by the Professor that I am seeing which is helping me to understand the conditions I have.

From being, as I thought, healthy I am taking so many pills and potions but I am starting to see an improvement which is positive[:)]

Once again thanks for all your help and advice and you have saved me £60 in prescription charges so far!![:D] If I do bumb into you at a frugal friends meeting I owe you a drink of your choice (or 2!!)

Emma x

Best Wishes

Emma x

aguise

Post by aguise » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:44 pm
Oh emma I hope you do come to frugal friends how far are you from Birmingham ? Are you sure the t4 is 120 not 12.0. Mine was only 98 when really overactive. Normal levels would be t4 11-20 and tsh 0.5 - 5.0 or thereabouts. You want the t4 in the higher level and the tsh in the lower I think my last considered ok was t4 22 and tsh 2.5 they vary a bit but not hugely now. I should have my results wednesday so will let you know. Check that t4 thoug. Anyway take no notice of me , just do as your doc says and they will sort you out.

Ang x

emma_t

Post by emma_t » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:15 pm
must be a typo as it says 120 for the t4.

I am about an hour from Birmigham so would come, work commitments permitting, I was really going to try for the Manchester one tommorrow but I have a hotel booked in Newcastle for that night as working up there and its just to far. Thought I might be able to change work plans and work in Manchester but that was not possible - so bring on Birmingham!!

Thanks for your advice and I hope you get on ok on Wednesday[:)]
Emma x

Best Wishes

Emma x

aguise

Post by aguise » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:26 pm
[:)]Do try for the birmingham one.
I will check my results tomorrow make sure I got it right either way the doc will look after you.

Ang xx

vickir

Post by vickir » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:32 pm
And something in the South East please x
24 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “weight watchers club”