Free cycle

22 posts Page 1 of 2

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:04 pm
Hi All

I was wondering if you would be interested in this website if you type in Free Cycle to google it will bring it up

Basically it is a website that if you have something that isn’t worth selling and you don’t want to throw it away then put it on here has local groups and it works the other way, thought it might be handy when the fridge breaks down or something and we haven’t got much contingency to buy a new one.

You will have to sign up for a yahoo e-mail account but the best thing is everything is free!

Enjoy!

x

angelrainbow

Post by angelrainbow » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:26 pm
Already am! [:D]
Completion Certificate received September 2012.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:44 pm
It's frequently mentioned on here.

I either use Ebay or send things to a charity shop.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Shining

Post by Shining » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:48 pm
I've not long become a member not used it as yet but do have a peek each day in case anything comes up I think I need. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

angelrainbow

Post by angelrainbow » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:54 pm
I am afraid I am mostly a picker upper rather than an offerer. I have had some absolute gems of bargains too and made many people and my neighbours most jealous with the things we come home with.
I do Freecycle anything that doesn't sell on eBay or carboots though.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:57 pm
I used to put everything into charity shops, but now it's the stuff I can't sell.

Freecycle is something which does not interest me.

If I need something big during the IVA, I'm afraid I will be asking for a payment break!
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

angelrainbow

Post by angelrainbow » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:11 pm
Wanting and needing are two different things...the stuff I have had off Freecycle I haven't needed at all, they are nice luxuries to have, or have been items I know family or friends are after. If I see something I fancy I will nab it and enjoy it. I can't see my IP giving me a payment break just because I fancy something in particular.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:20 pm
I am not referring to wanting a payment break for something I 'fancy'.

I am referring to having one if I have to replace something like the fridge/freezer, washing machine or tumble dryer that sort of thing.

There's no luxuries I need or want.
Bob Marley.

angelrainbow

Post by angelrainbow » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:18 pm
That's fair enough, each to their own and all that. I would rather give a home to something unwanted and save money, help the environment and shorten the term of my IVA than ask for a payment break unless I absolutely had to.
It isn't just luxuries though...I have got loads of clothes and toys for the kids that other children have grown out of or no longer need. I can 'spoil'them with what were expensive items when bought new (got the girls a jeep that was £270 in the shops a couple of weeks ago)and all for free. I know it doesn't interest you, but for people like me, in an IVA with children growing like weeds who you want to have all the things you couldn't when you were growing up it is an absolute godsend.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:23 pm
Believe me, it will have to be a total necessity for me to have to request a payment break,and I sincerely hope I don't need one.

We will never agree on this one.
Bob Marley.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:29 pm
I'm with Jan on this one. If I need (and I mean need, not fancy) something I'll speak to the OR for a break in my IPA.

This won't be popular, but the environment isn't the first thing I think about when I'm replacing something, so I wouldn't think of having something second hand to help the environment.

If I have something that's worth anything I'll sell it rather than give it away - selfish I know, but needs must!

Shining

Post by Shining » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:28 pm
I recycled my fridge/freezer a few weeks back, hubby was given worktops last year at work and got around to fitting them finally! Anyhow our fridge freezer didn't go and we wanted a larder fridge, no way could we afford one and we mentioned it to eldest daughter and did a swap, she got my fridge/freezer and needed it and I got the fridge and looks perfect. I still have a small chest freezer in the under stairs cupboard.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

angelrainbow

Post by angelrainbow » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:44 am
Being pagan the environment is very important to me, I do all I can. My children and I regularly pick up other people's rubbish from the local park and playground for example.
Freecycle is a good way to find a home for something that someone can't sell and would otherwise scrap or dump.
It must be lovely to have everything you want or need in the world, but we don't, If I see something come up that my family or friends would really like then I will get it for them.
I just can't see why you are against something that gives so much for free..forget the wanting to make money or not needing anything, surely even you Jan can admit that for people struggling, having a resource that provides free clothes, toys etc is a good thing. No different to gettting the same off eBay except the price to me.
If I didn't know better, I would think you are disagreeing with me just for the sake of it [}:)] [:D]

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:09 am
I don't like people dropping rubbish, but I don't pick up other peoples', that's what I pay my council tax for!

Freecycle is fine if it's what you want to do, but like Jan it's not for me. As I've said before I will sell anything that I can get money for, and if I need something I will either save until I can afford it or if it's urgent I will ask for a payment break. I don't tend to buy things very often from Ebay, and then only if it's new.

I can only speak for myself but I certainly don't have everything I want in the world and I never expect to - if you have everything then what is there to aim for?

fingerscrossed

Post by fingerscrossed » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:43 am
I have used free cycle a couple of times but got bombarded with e-mails from people requesting things on their wants board and that part did my head in so I left.

I also tend to find Angel if I buy new good quality clothes in a sale ie the next sale, George and Monsoon (75% off sale)they last and I get good money back from them on ebay.

I make little bundles up with clothes say a pack of 5 tops on e-bay and they ones that are probably only fit for play I normally sell at a boot sale.

quality boys clothes that are in good condition are the best sellers and often make back a good proportion of what I paid!!
Back to square one but what dunt kill you makes you stronger!!
22 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “talking about ...”