Free cycle

22 posts Page 2 of 2

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:15 pm
To answer Angelrainbows post - sorry I didn't do it sooner but I have been at work all day, I'm not disagreeing with you for the sake of it, that is my genuine opinion and I have stated it before on here.

I do my bit for the environment by recycling my papers, food waste, glass etc. My white goods are beyond economical repair when I get rid of them and go to the scrap man, and in the case of fridges, to the local landfill where they are safely degassed and the scrap metal sold.

I would be very wary of having electrical goods from anything like Freecycle, or even Ebay - you have no idea what state the electrics are in and they could even be dangerous.

If people wish to do this, then fine. It's just not for me.

I also agree with Skippy that no way would I go round picking up other peoples rubbish - in my area we employ people to do just that and I would hate to do them out of a job!
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

marky b

Post by marky b » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:06 pm
Im gonna put a different spin on the rubbish story.
I was walking the dog a while back at our local park one morning and the night before kids had left coke cans all over the place.

The old dears were satnding moaning about the mess and how they were going to phone the council.
I picked up the rubbish and binned it in about 3 or 4 minutes, job done.
Dont make a habit of it but makes you feel a good person.
As for freecycle its tempting to ponce what i can for a bootsale or two but would rather it went to those in need.
The most satisfying sales at a bootsale, and ive only done 2, are the ones that see a matchbox car put a smile on a little kids face.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:19 pm
Where I walk our dogs there are always loads of cans and bottles about. I don't pick them up, and I certainly wouldn't feel good about doing it. The yobs that drop them will only carry on doing it.

We pay our council tax, of which part goes towards clearing litter.

In our area, young offenders, who have been given community service orders, are used for this purpose and also in the local nature reserves we have in the area, for the upkeep of paths, fencing, and steps.

Doesn't the local authority, together with the Police and Probation Service do this sort of thing in your areas.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:24 pm
I don't pick up other people's litter as to be honest you don't know where it's been and what's on it! I pay enough council tax to feel that it's not my job!

Personally things like litter collection should be left to people on community service - it's not a pleasant job and it might make them think twice before committing another offence!

Shining

Post by Shining » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:33 pm
Skippy I couldn't agree more, I went into town this afternoon and I can honestly say my home town is disgusting and I commented to hubby that anyone in court on Tuesday should be sweeping the streets on Wednesday all day for however long! No need to employ people to do it, just a supervisor x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:28 pm
We live near the river and walked into town at the weekend and I couldn't believe the state of the towpath in places. It's so beautiful, but some people seem determined to spoil it. Mind you, it doesn't help when the bins are full to over flowing as the council hasn't emptied them.

fingerscrossed

Post by fingerscrossed » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:43 pm
If it atkes a few mins of my time and it makes in a ceratin area more enjoyable for my self and my kidsthen i will pick up the rubbish, no shouldnt have to do it but i would do it.

Lesley I am with your hubby about offenders doing it along with cleaning the urine stenching lifts in multistory car parks and high rise blocks.
Back to square one but what dunt kill you makes you stronger!!
22 posts Page 2 of 2
Return to “talking about ...”